Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been riding my new 2012 NRS a month now, the feeling when you hit the road... epic! :D

Supertrapp fatshots were put at the dealer, also the original yellow blinker lenses were swapped to clear ones. the bike is denim black.

I'm 6'1" (186cm) with long legs and feels the 2012 model is full of "reduced reach". I got the impression from here that there is not yet extended foot controls made.
Can anyone recommend handle bars which need no new wiring done, I was even thinking of year '08-'11 standard bars.

Original 240 tyre will be 260 when it is time, and the license plate has to move to the side so ppl can see my tyre.
Mirrors could be flipped downside. Not sure yet if keeping the original.

Like you see changes in my mind are quite minor, because lack of experience but in my mind big changes to outlook and riding comfort.

Ideas in far future are modding the rear fender and lowering.
Any hints in any area appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Hude, I've only had mine for a few weeks. I'm still completely stock, but my first mod will be the exhaust. I was also looking at the Supertrapp fatshots. What filter and such did you go with, and what was the total amount you paid for the entire exhaust job? I'm looking at the fatshots, K&N Filter, and the PCV, and was trying to estimate total cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exsanguis, I have only fatshots slipons installed. I like'em, they are not too loud but they still keep turning heads.
I cannot help you much about the price because I live in Finland. I paid approx 800 dollars. Installation was made before the bike delivery and the cost was included.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hey Hude, I've only had mine for a few weeks. I'm still completely stock, but my first mod will be the exhaust. I was also looking at the Supertrapp fatshots. What filter and such did you go with, and what was the total amount you paid for the entire exhaust job? I'm looking at the fatshots, K&N Filter, and the PCV, and was trying to estimate total cost.
PCV new is about $300(used around 200)
Filter is a guess but around $50
Exhaust 5-600 new.
I have some fatshots I'm selling within the next week for much less, but I have to install my other exhuast first to get sell my fatshots. Here is a link to the sound of mine: http://youtu.be/os08V2VHT-8?hd=1

Install is very easy on all of these things, no need for a shop.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
165 Posts
Handle Bar Option

I am 6'3" with a 36" inseam and encountered the same problem with the "reduced reach". I found that at about 2/3 lock my wrist was embedded into my knee. After talking to the parts guy, I ordered the "reduced reach" handlebars. I know that this sounds backwards, but when installed, I sat on the bike and positioned the bars "turned up". The new seating position was perfect, allowing my to well clear the knees even on full lock, to sit up straight, and even felt better with the wrist position. I was not optimistic at first, but after riding off the lot, I was extremely happy! The new handle bars are almost like a very-mini ape and feel so much better now. The bars were >$70 and the install took the dealer less than 2 hours. The stock wires and cables fit perfectly (be sure to tell that to the dealer if they are worried). Let me know if you have any questions or want a photo.

·
Registered
197 Posts
hude, I'm 6'5" & also own a 2012 NRS. The footpegs where a easy fix. Just swap sides (right to left) and flip them over. There is a small tab in the middle of the footpeg notch that must be ground off and you will need to lenghten the sifter rod on the left side. You will have gained about 3 inches off extra leg room.:dance:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JRogers81, thanks for the advise. Did i miss something but why you had to order new reduced reach bars, why you just didnt flip the originals upwards? Or are the bars different, still both being reduced reach? My understanding of english might do a trick here also.

primo56, ok. I have to take a look, it sounds the best and cheapest way to sort it. Is the look ok, not too "home made"? Picture maybe?
Before this I was looking of the mount and how it would be if there were pegs that came straight in line from the mount, like in -'11.
The shifter rod, like you said needs to be lenghtened. But how about the other side, how it goes with the cylinder that is right next to the brake pad.
The ground clearance will be reduced but guess thats not the problem in 2012 when being higher.

·
Registered
197 Posts
hude, will try 2 send picture later, the brake pedal will end up a little higher but still ok. Try it you'll like it!!:moped:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Grimy, thanks for the info, big help with the pricing. I noticed your on an 08', will your fatshots fit a 2012 special? If so, I'd be interested in taking them off your hands when you complete your new install. Let me know a price, pending the compatability. And if you don't mind, what is your reason for the switch?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Grimy, thanks for the info, big help with the pricing. I noticed your on an 08', will your fatshots fit a 2012 special? If so, I'd be interested in taking them off your hands when you complete your new install. Let me know a price, pending the compatability. And if you don't mind, what is your reason for the switch?
They should work as the exhaust hasn't changed I on the 12'. The exhuast mounted under the passenger peg with this long arm thing(pretty sure it's oem). I have one person who expressed interest first so I'm giving the first opportunity, if I don't hear from them I will post it up in the classifieds and send you a link. I wanted a different look, the 2:2 pipe was getting old so I went with the bub 7. I would have done it early but it's pretty expensive to switch exhausts when you factor in everything you need.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
165 Posts
JRogers81, thanks for the advise. Did i miss something but why you had to order new reduced reach bars, why you just didnt flip the originals upwards? Or are the bars different, still both being reduced reach? My understanding of english might do a trick here also.

The "reduced reach" for the 2012 model is actually a different riser angle. The handlebars are NOT a reduced reach stock. I installed the reduced reach bars which were advertised to be 4" closer and 1.5" higher than stock. I say on the bike and adjusted the handlebars to my desired fit, which was rolled up a bit from standard. The setup was perfect and I think would work for you. It is also relatively cheap, with the bars being ~$65 and only 1.5hrs of labor. Please let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
posted it up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts