Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, in the future, do you think it will ever get to the point where
the V-Rod will be out-classed by the metric models that are sure to come out to chase the V-Rod?
Thanks for any input, Floyd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
floydster said:
Just wondering, in the future, do you think it will ever get to the point where
the V-Rod will be out-classed by the metric models that are sure to come out to chase the V-Rod?
Thanks for any input, Floyd
If HD keeps rolling out new bikes with old technology (aircooled) it won't take long. Actually, it has already happened. And pricewise, they have HD beat hands down. I toiled over getting a Vrod because of the price. Almost got a Star for $9,500 vs. $15K for the Rod.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
405 Posts
My buddy at work as a star, be glad you choose the rod. He wishes everyday he had waited and just got the rod.
 

·
Pineland Underground
Joined
·
14,737 Posts
Still...floyd brings up a good point. As time goes by if there aren't any significant improvements to the HD line, metrics will slowly take over again. If not them, one of those other American model bikes but that might take a bit more effort on their part. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
837 Posts
We already have been

The M109r is a tenth of a second faster than an '07 wide tire Rod, and the V-Rod has always played second fiddle to the V Max. We're all
about to be seriously outclassed by the '08 V-max: http://www.v-max.us/home.htm
Where the V-Rod shines is that it has style to match its power.
 

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
Night Ryder said:
The M109r is a tenth of a second faster than an '07 wide tire bike, and the V-Rod has always played secon fiddle to the V Max. And we're about to be seriously outclassed by the '08 V-max: http://www.v-max.us/home.htm
Where the V-Rod shines is that it has style to match its power.
Have always liked the V-max. Some interesting info on that page:
Asked about the progress of the Vmax I got a pretty interesting story. The Otodama engine - the 1800cc monster turns out to be just that: a monster. An early version of the engine made 295bhp (!) at the crank. After some troubles with the internal dynos and test setups the bike was tested with that engine configuration. Turns out there is pretty much no rear tire that can hold up against this much power. The engine shredded tires in piece, breaking loose at pretty much any point in time.

The whole setup was described to be pretty much uncontrollable by the average bike rider. Way too much power to keep the bike under control.

5 detunes later(!) the engine got restricted to 'only' 210 bhp. Seems to be as much as Yamaha is willing to give you and me as riders. The good news is that there seems to be plenty of potential in that engine for later upgrades.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
The V-Rod has never been about having the most power, thats a spec sheet compition that HD would have no chance of winning against Japan Inc. HD does not build supertankers or cars or exucutive jets or construction equipment, or have a real estate empire, to provide R&D income. Its only income is motorcycles and related products. People forget that HD is a TINY company compared to the big 4.

The V-Rod is the HD with More power. Power you'ld have to spend thousands of dollars to get out of one of the air cooled models. And in the HD tradition its relativly easy for the customer to add more power from the aftermarket. It will be expanded and improved upon, witness bore increases, larger tanks, wider tires, etc. HD listens. But it will never be about the mostest, biggest factory numbers on paper, because HD is not stupid enough to play that game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
That Prototype looks sick... But doesnt look like much of a cruiser, looks more like a Streetfighter, kinda like a Kawasaki Z1000, more sport than comfort.

Everyone has their preferences, even if the Metric Bikes are faster, cheaper, and more reliable, people will still fork out more dough for what they want/like, and Harley doesnt seem to be doin too bad. The only place I could see H.D. gettin screwed is on its Parts/Repair... ask Luxlamf.
 

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
Drydock said:
The V-Rod has never been about having the most power, thats a spec sheet compition that HD would have no chance of winning against Japan Inc. HD does not build supertankers or cars or exucutive jets or construction equipment, or have a real estate empire, to provide R&D income. Its only income is motorcycles and related products. People forget that HD is a TINY company compared to the big 4.

The V-Rod is the HD with More power. Power you'ld have to spend thousands of dollars to get out of one of the air cooled models. And in the HD tradition its relativly easy for the customer to add more power from the aftermarket. It will be expanded and improved upon, witness bore increases, larger tanks, wider tires, etc. HD listens. But it will never be about the mostest, biggest factory numbers on paper, because HD is not stupid enough to play that game.
Very well said.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
837 Posts
Damn Dmlkm! You've got one sick bike!

This whole time I thought that you had a V-max, so I went to check it out in your gallerey, and there is the coolest screaming eagle I've seen yet!:notworth: You need to change your avatar to a picture of your botrod instead of that Yamaha
 

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
Night Ryder said:
This whole time I thought that you had a V-max, so I went to check it out in your gallerey, and there is the coolest screaming eagle I've seen yet!:notworth: You need to change your avatar to a picture of your botrod instead of that Yamaha
Wow, thanks for the awesome compliments. Yeah, I need to do some updates - I had figured everyone can have a V-rod avatar so I used my ex V-max. But when I get time I think I will do the update and let the past be the past :).
 

·
Jeff
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Night Ryder said:
This whole time I thought that you had a V-max, so I went to check it out in your gallerey, and there is the coolest screaming eagle I've seen yet!:notworth: You need to change your avatar to a picture of your botrod instead of that Yamaha
You should see it in person!!!! Awesome Bike.

Jeff
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top