Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
NAILBENDER
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all -i have been a rider for many years-mostly 70s jap bikes cb and kz-i currently ride my triumph triple most of the time-which is ok for 2 up but a little slugish-i have now got the harley bug-im really interested in the v rod-ive heard conflicting opinions on the bike-some say unreliable-but i ran into a guy here in vegas with almost 70000 on his and hes getting ready to buy his second-its hot as hell here in the summer[fall and spring too-]often hitting the high of 118 degrees and on the asphalt even more-so i like the idea of a liquid cooled harley-i also would ocasionly have the wife on the back-so my first question is for short trips [80 miles or so]is this a good bike for me 2 up-i noticed the little passenger seat -anybody do 2 up riding on theirs?also how about reliability -with regular tune ups ect-i guess what i really want to hear is -go for it its the best bike for you doooooo it-ill be in the market for one early next year im going to try and get a used with low miles-unless i get advice to the contrary-went to the dealer but they tried to get me to get a road king -which is fine but not liquid cooled and no way as sleek and cool as the v rod and bulky as i said it would be only now and then with the wife on the back-are there any problems specific to the v rod i should be lookin out for on a used machine?anyway i think that might be enough out of me for a first post so thanks all for having me....mike:eek:fftopic:

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Use the search function and start reading. You will find this forum to be the BEST place on the net to get info reguarding the V-rod.

Any thing you can think of has been done to these bikes and there is a thread somewhere here for it.

Riding 2 up is no big deal done all the time.

These engines are teh best on the market for Harley.

You have time before you buy so this is good.

Enjoy reading and good luck on your pick of the V-rod.

Check out the how to videos in my Sig.

This bike is easy to work on as you will see.

Welcome again
Rod

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
4 year old dx 22000 miles no reliabilty problems to date.Uses no oil between services,slight cosmetic problems on the finish.Does 3000 mile roadtrips 2 up no problem(but seat changed to sundowner) If buying second hand would advise getting one with seat allready changed, better suspension fitted and aftermarket exhaust with tuner, because these are things you will probably do, but better to let someone else have paid for them.

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
Ditto on the sundowner, it works well for 2 up.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
... -i also would ocasionly have the wife on the back-so my first question is for short trips [80 miles or so]is this a good bike for me 2 up-i noticed the little passenger seat -anybody do 2 up riding on theirs?
80 miles, 40 miles each way, is totally doable on almost anything. If you're talking one way, like down to Laughlin, go fast and you can make it in an hour; otherwise, baggers were designed for 2 up riding.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
ive heard conflicting opinions on the bike-some say unreliable
mike:eek:fftopic:
Where ever or whoever told you this is full of bovine scatology :)... The Revolution motor is the best motor that the MOCO ever came out with, hands down... It doesn't need rubber engine mounts so you can see out the mirrors, it's glass smooth...

The only weak point to this motor is the cases for high horsepower, for the everyday rider who is content with the stock motor, the book is still out on just how many miles this motor will hold up before a complete rebuild is performed... There are owners of V-Rods that have well over 100k and the motor is still as strong as it was brand new...

For two up riding, as others have suggested a better seat is a must the stock seats are garbage... You will also need to upgrade the rear shocks for 2 up riding... Other than those two minor upgrades, if you decide to buy the V-Rod, you will be happy with your choice and if you want to convert it over into a bagger well, there's a kit out there for that too... Goodluck, keep those knee's in the breeze and remember the only bad decision is no decision :)...

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Welcome!
The Revolution motor is pretty bulletproof! One member here has over 150k on his motor, with no big problems.

·
Not 1 Serious Thread
12,942 Posts
how tall is the wife? I'm 5'7", long legs and cannot go 30 minutes on the back of a V no matter what they've done to it. Got my own bike so it's no issue for me, but if she is tall and leggy, this is the wrong bike. Other sized women seem to have no issues, is all about height

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Where ever or whoever told you this is full of bovine scatology :)... The Revolution motor is the best motor that the MOCO ever came out with, hands down... It doesn't need rubber engine mounts so you can see out the mirrors, it's glass smooth...

The only weak point to this motor is the cases for high horsepower, for the everyday rider who is content with the stock motor, the book is still out on just how many miles this motor will hold up before a complete rebuild is performed... There are owners of V-Rods that have well over 100k and the motor is still as strong as it was brand new...

For two up riding, as others have suggested a better seat is a must the stock seats are garbage... You will also need to upgrade the rear shocks for 2 up riding... Other than those two minor upgrades, if you decide to buy the V-Rod, you will be happy with your choice and if you want to convert it over into a bagger well, there's a kit out there for that too... Goodluck, keep those knee's in the breeze and remember the only bad decision is no decision :)...
The Revo IS rubber mounted.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
It really isn't any smoother running that my rubber mounted SuperGlide and I've great expectations with respect to durability.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
The Revo IS rubber mounted.
True but not the same as the Evolutions and my point that you can see out of the mirrors even at idle... :)... Don't believe me, sit next to an airhead at a stop sign and look over at his mirrors then look at yours :)... The rubber on the V-Rod is not so much for engine vibrations but for road vibrations combined where as the airheads it's strickley to reduce the engine vibrations to the rider thru his hands, feet, legs, butt and back... The revolution motor, you could have it hard mounted and set a cup of water on the airbox and it won't go anywhere, do that with a Evolution :)...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
It really isn't any smoother running that my rubber mounted SuperGlide and I've great expectations with respect to durability.
LOL bro hard mount that motor like the softails before the B motor or the shovelheads and earlier and then tell me bout how smooth it is :)... Don't get me wrong, the newer airheads are smooth and comfortable but I don't care what you do to those motors, you will never get them "balanced" like the Revolution motor... It's impossible with a 45 degree motor with both pistons going up and down at the same time... :)

I road Harley's long before they came out with the rubber mount and I can tell you, it was a good thing I was young because there ain't no way I could put the miles on I diid now, you'd have to call 911 and have the para medics cart me off :)...

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
You have an '06 dyna wideglide which, other than the forks, is virtually the same as my '00 dyna superglide .. yes, the mirrors vibrate at idle but it is all in all a very smooth ride. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy running through the gears on my vrod and the vrod does idle with less vibration but the dyna is a very smooth'n comfortable motorcycle.

·
NAILBENDER
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
went to another dealer today and checked out the only vrod they had the salesman started going on about how there wasnt really a big difference in longivity between the air and water cooled bikes -and the regular airheads last just as long in the heat if taken care of-but why are people doing top and bottom rebuilds on theese bike at 20 30 40 thousand miles is it just an up grade thing or are they burning them up-i only say this after buying and selling a number of cafe racer bikes and vintage projects on craigslist -i always see stuff like road king 30000miles only 4000 on new motor and so on-from what i see on this site and the guy i met at the gas station with the 70000 on his vrod the vrod lasts alot longrer -correct me if im wrong-the only other model i might be interested in would be maybe a soft tail -fat boy-but right now all the odds seem to be leaning towards the v rod -thanks again ....mike

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
went to another dealer today and checked out the only vrod they had the salesman started going on about how there wasnt really a big difference in longivity between the air and water cooled bikes -and the regular airheads last just as long in the heat if taken care of-but why are people doing top and bottom rebuilds on theese bike at 20 30 40 thousand miles is it just an up grade thing or are they burning them up-i only say this after buying and selling a number of cafe racer bikes and vintage projects on craigslist -i always see stuff like road king 30000miles only 4000 on new motor and so on-from what i see on this site and the guy i met at the gas station with the 70000 on his vrod the vrod lasts alot longrer -correct me if im wrong-the only other model i might be interested in would be maybe a soft tail -fat boy-but right now all the odds seem to be leaning towards the v rod -thanks again ....mike
Please, press the period key now and then. I almost passed out from lack of oxygen reading that.

·
Registered
600 Posts
One of the main reasons dealers don't like the revolution motor is because it is so reliable. Other than the 15000 mile valve lash check/adjustment dealers rarely see a Vrod. Dealers just can't make enough money off this bike on the service side of the sale. You sound mechanically inclined so you can most likely do anything that typically needs done yourself. Send a private message to Joseph3dogs. He is in the Vegas area and is a storehouse of Vrod knowledge.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
You have an '06 dyna wideglide which, other than the forks, is virtually the same as my '00 dyna superglide .. yes, the mirrors vibrate at idle but it is all in all a very smooth ride. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy running through the gears on my vrod and the vrod does idle with less vibration but the dyna is a very smooth'n comfortable motorcycle.
No argument there :)... I love that wideglide, very smooth on the highway, very good handling and very comfortable... Not as comfortable as my dresser but still comfortable :)... The V-Rod will be just as comfortable when I get done with her :)... Oh and did I say she'll be comfortable and fast? :)...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
One of the main reasons dealers don't like the revolution motor is because it is so reliable. Other than the 15000 mile valve lash check/adjustment dealers rarely see a Vrod. Dealers just can't make enough money off this bike on the service side of the sale. You sound mechanically inclined so you can most likely do anything that typically needs done yourself. Send a private message to Joseph3dogs. He is in the Vegas area and is a storehouse of Vrod knowledge.
:them: Excellant point and fact based...

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
how tall is the wife? I'm 5'7", long legs and cannot go 30 minutes on the back of a V no matter what they've done to it. Got my own bike so it's no issue for me, but if she is tall and leggy, this is the wrong bike. Other sized women seem to have no issues, is all about height
Wife is 5'7 also, I ended up putting 4" extenions on pass. footpegs and it helped alot to keep from legs being bent backwards so much.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts