Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering buying a Vrod. Especially after a recent test drive of a used '04 VRSCB.

Question 1) What is the difference between all the model designations for the Vrod - can someone list them out?

Question 2) Are any years better than other years? There seems to be an abundance of '03 models for sale. Was that year a problem?

Question 3) I am also considering the Yamaha Warrior, VTX 1800F and Suzuki M109R. Very different bikes, but what makes the Vrod better?

Question 4) What specifically should I look for in a used bike besides the obvious mileage, dings, etc...?

Question 5) What are the most common problems with the Vrod and how much maintenance is required vs. other bikes? (Used to have a Honda VTX1300 - practically maintenance free).

OK, that's it for now. I'm sure more questions will come up. Hopefully soon I'll be posting pics of a bike.

·
Living Free...
11,581 Posts
1) VRSCA- Silver Frame, Front Controls
VRSCB- Black Frame, Front Controls
VRSCD- Black Frame, Mid Controls, Front Fairing on Headlight..
VRSCDX- All Blacked out bike, 240 tire, 5 gallon tank, fat fender (only avail. from 2007 on)
VRSCR- Street Rod, Mid Controls...more like a sport bike

(Did I get all of that right ^^^^????)

2) If you buy a 2006 model or Newer, you will have the Brembo Braking system....which are really, really good brakes.

3) A VROD is better than other bikes, because it just is :D

4) Get a VROD

5) You won't be sorry

6) Take the plunge!!!

7) :vrodforu: :welcome: :welcome: :vrodforu:

8) The others that are more "VROD Knowledgable" will have to answer the other questions. I just threw in what I knew :)

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
2007 and up has the 5 gallon gas tank, wider frame 240 tire and the ignition switch moved up front, much nicer in my opinion. If I were buying one today, I would get an 07 or an 08 which has the slipper clutch, ABS brakes and reduced effort clutch.

As far as problems with the V-rod, there aren't very many.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Welcome!

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I know I sound like a Broken record to most but if you are going "Used" The 2002 is the best IMHO. They are Very inexpensive now ($10K or so) There are so Many 2003's because they came with the Awful 100 year Anniversary Badges that I imagine many thought would be a collectors item. They wont be cuz HD put the awful badge on everything they made that year inseatd of making it a "Special Edition" (They waited to the 105th anniversary to do that), they also started to Paint the bikes that year with a really "Nice" black strip going down the center. If you want New nothing beats the DX as far as style and "Off The Floor " good looks. Get a 07' if you can find one. The "R" series is something you would have to see for yourself, they have discontinued it and there is a Mighty Wedge here on the forums between people that own them (All 14 of them) and people who don't like them. If I had bought one for some strange reason I would have drove it off a cliff by now, but you might like it. THe nite Rods have Mid Controls, you may find that more comfortable.
There all based on opinion, someone will give the TEch specs that show the differences.

·
Ajax99nfg
326 Posts
"The "R" series is something you would have to see for yourself, they have discontinued it and there is a Mighty Wedge here on the forums between people that own them (All 14 of them) and people who don't like them. If I had bought one for some strange reason I would have drove it off a cliff by now, but you might like it."

That is some funny sh&t.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
231 Posts
jacothedog said:
Question 3) I am also considering the Yamaha Warrior, VTX 1800F and Suzuki M109R. Very different bikes, but what makes the Vrod better?
I think the quality and performance of the v-rod is comparable to the other bikes, unlike the rest of the bikes in the HD line. My opinion is no one should american made anything because of better quality, because usually it isn't. The japanese make more reliable products cheaper, so, I wouldn't really consider that. However I would consider if you want an american bike, this is something about owning a Harley because a bike is either a Harley, or it isn't.

Some things I can tell you, be able to afford your bike. The average HD owner makes a pretty damn good salary and that are the folks they cater to. There was a thread about it but I can't find it, I think it was about 70 or 80k.

Negatives:

1) Harley will cost you more in labor, parts, oil changes.

2) There are good dealers, but some of them are very stuck up. Getting something free or cheap from a HD dealer is a RARE event. I've probably gotten cheap stuff from a HD dealer about as many times as I've seen a dinosaur while driving to work.

3) V-rods are somewhat shunned in the harley community. You won't have old time or hardcore bikers being like "sweet bike."

4) Its not as fast as a sport bike, but a good compromise. I ride it a hell of a lot more then I did my last sport bike.

Good things about a v-rod:

1) Well designed.

2) Good engine ... no GREAT engine. Designed with porsche.

3) Lots of stuff you can learn to do on your own, I can't believe how much stuff I can do now. Changing stuff and working on the bike myself has been one of the greatest things about this adventure. It is more enjoyable working on my bike then riding it sometimes.

4) This forum. You will learn amazing things here. Great resource.

To me, owning a motorcycle is more a religious experience. Finding yourself while getting lost on a back highway. The peace of mind that comes with wind in your face and road under your feet. Buy a bike that lets you find and commune with your soul. For me, that is the v-rod ... screw the rest of the advantages and disadvantages.

·
Ajax99nfg
326 Posts
Viostrom, that is a well read post, I agree with you 1000%, however I have 1 request, based on the salary info you mentioned, could contact my employeer and inform them they need to give me a raise of about 20 to 30k?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just bought a used A model with 6500 miles for only $11,500, so there are some good deals on used v-rods out there. Also the A has chrome engine accents where the B has polished aluminum which is a b*tch to keep polished but I do love its black frame.

·
Registered
9 Posts
"The "R" series is something you would have to see for yourself, they have discontinued it and there is a Mighty Wedge here on the forums between people that own them (All 14 of them) and people who don't like them. If I had bought one for some strange reason I would have drove it off a cliff by now, but you might like it.

Off a cliff why? Bike error of Biker error?

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Ajax99NFG said:
"The "R" series is something you would have to see for yourself, they have discontinued it and there is a Mighty Wedge here on the forums between people that own them (All 14 of them) and people who don't like them. If I had bought one for some strange reason I would have drove it off a cliff by now, but you might like it."

That is some funny sh&t.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
......Maybe we can take up a collection, and hook you up! Better yet, swap with Gazoo before you "take flight", and, make certain you take that gurl for a ride. That ride needs to include turns and corners, and then you will see what the "R" is designed for. Be sure to have it filmed! Throw in brief nudity, and you might have something there!
There are no bad models. They simply rock! Like most things, newer is better - brakes, larger gas tanks, inverted forks.........:angeldev:

·
Billy
509 Posts
jacothedog said:
I am seriously considering buying a Vrod. Especially after a recent test drive of a used '04 VRSCB.

Question 1) What is the difference between all the model designations for the Vrod - can someone list them out?

Question 2) Are any years better than other years? There seems to be an abundance of '03 models for sale. Was that year a problem?

Question 4) What specifically should I look for in a used bike besides the obvious mileage, dings, etc...?

Question 5) What are the most common problems with the Vrod and how much maintenance is required vs. other bikes? (Used to have a Honda VTX1300 - practically maintenance free).

OK, that's it for now. I'm sure more questions will come up. Hopefully soon I'll be posting pics of a bike.
There are about 4 03's on ebay right now with super low mileage and great prices. I have bought 4 bikes off ebay (all 4 in excellent condition) and as long as you research feedback and communicate with the seller (ask for a phone # and call 'em) you can be pretty damn sure it is a good deal. The 03 bikes are great with no more problems than any others, they are selling cheap because they all look alike and bikers don't like looking the same. However I suggest buying an 03, then buy a set of custom tins, box up the anniversary tins for down the road, and you can have an awesome motorcycle with custom tins of your choice for around $13,000 and have a resonable payment that will allow you to add a few things as you go. My second choice would be one of the Screamin' Eagles that they are giving away (@ 16,17 K) and originally sold for 26K or more. They are selling cheap for the same reason as the 03's simply because they all look alike and offer little opportunity to change that w/o a new paint job and then you lose the SE identity. However an SE with a custom paint job for @ $19,000 would look awesome and already has tons of chrome and extra performance. I have owned 2 cruisers and a Fatboy and I ride my v-rod twice as much as any of the others. It is a great bike. Have fun.

·
06 Night Rod
385 Posts
The best thing is to actually test drive those other bikes, too. They are completely different from the v-rod. Bigger engines and more torque, but they will weigh a bit more, and the center of gravity is a lot higher. The v-rod is extremely well balanced, making it feel like a much smaller, lighter bike than it is. And the real power of the v-rod kicks in above 5000 rpms, and even more above 7000 rpms. I think the vrod looks better, and it is after all, a Harley. There really haven't been any changes or improvements to the v-rod, other than going to Brembo brakes in 06, and the larger gas tanks in 07. There are differences in the position of the controls (front or mids) and I think some have a different reach on the handlebars. The Screamin Eagles (SE) and the CX come with the 1250 big bore, which the 08's all have now. And, this is the best forum I have ever seen. Lots of information about any and every thing. Check out the Mechanical, EFI, and How-to sections, and use the search function at the top to find more posts on items of interest.

Russ

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
barry01 said:
"The "R" series is something you would have to see for yourself, they have discontinued it and there is a Mighty Wedge here on the forums between people that own them (All 14 of them) and people who don't like them. If I had bought one for some strange reason I would have drove it off a cliff by now, but you might like it.

Off a cliff why? Bike error of Biker error?
You are a numb nut!!!:chair:

·
Billy
509 Posts
sveinn said:
The best thing is to actually test drive those other bikes, too. They are completely different from the v-rod. Bigger engines and more torque, but they will weigh a bit more, and the center of gravity is a lot higher. The v-rod is extremely well balanced, making it feel like a much smaller, lighter bike than it is. And the real power of the v-rod kicks in above 5000 rpms, and even more above 7000 rpms. I think the vrod looks better, and it is after all, a Harley. There really haven't been any changes or improvements to the v-rod, other than going to Brembo brakes in 06, and the larger gas tanks in 07. There are differences in the position of the controls (front or mids) and I think some have a different reach on the handlebars. The Screamin Eagles (SE) and the CX come with the 1250 big bore, which the 08's all have now. And, this is the best forum I have ever seen. Lots of information about any and every thing. Check out the Mechanical, EFI, and How-to sections, and use the search function at the top to find more posts on items of interest.

Russ
I love the SE guages. I would love to have a set on my 03. I think that would make a nice upgrade to the regular V-rod.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
The 2006-2007 Street Rods (VRSCR) have:
-USD forks
-Lower Bars
-Mid-mount Controls (Same as on the D)
-Different exhaust (Same as the D)
-Steel Braided front brake lines
-10 spoke staggered alluminum wheels
-31 inch high seat
-40 degrees of lean angle
-different gauge cluster
-first to have 5 gallon tank

You really do need to ride each of the different models in the VROD family. They are all great!!!! These bikes are real reliable and if you get a service manual you can do most of the servicing yourself if you have the tools. I came off of a sportbike so I thought the best transition cruiser for me would be the VRSCR, but I have a yearning for a Night Rod Special.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts