Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my story. I have loved the V-rod since it first came out, but never considered one due to not knowing how to ride. Well, fast forward to today, and I still don't know how to ride but, I just got myself a 2003 2 tone 100th ann. V-rod. Now, I have to learn to ride so I can get it out of my garage. I am a big time mountain bike rider and have a 6 speed car, will this actually help? As for my V-rod, does anyone know how many were made or how rare it is?
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks to all in advance.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I'd find a friend and have him ride it to an open parking lot where you can practice your skills. Take an MSF course. There are plenty of V-Rods out there. Take it for granted, the V-Rods are not as popular as the traditional air heads. I believe that the popularity is increasing because of the Night Rod!! :mrgr:

Welcome!

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
hawk570 said:
Here's my story. I have loved the V-rod since it first came out, but never considered one due to not knowing how to ride. Well, fast forward to today, and I still don't know how to ride but, I just got myself a 2003 2 tone 100th ann. V-rod. Now, I have to learn to ride so I can get it out of my garage. I am a big time mountain bike rider and have a 6 speed car, will this actually help? As for my V-rod, does anyone know how many were made or how rare it is?
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks to all in advance.

Welcome to the forum!! I agree with the other post. If you have never ridden, by all means take the MSF course. To take the course they say that you should be able to ride a bicycle. You are halfway there if you ride mountain bikes. Start slow somewhere, and take that course!! Oh yea,,, and show us some pics of this new bike of yours :)

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
just like everyone else has said, if you've never rode any kind of motorcycle it would be wise to take a course. And it would be smart for your first ride on your Vrod to take it with plenty of room and nothing to run into (not that you will but better be safe than sorry)

I had dirtbikes as a kid but took a long break in riding and the first bike I got later in life was much bigger than the dirtbikes. I can remember thinking that it wasn't all that hard to get used to. You already know how to use the clutch, you already know your balance, so after you get going it's not that big of a deal, but it would still be good to take a motorcycle riding class :thumb:

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm taking the class for sure, I really don't want to drop the bike or even try to ride in until I am sure I can ride it. As for the bike, any thing I should know in regards to problems or maintanance with the v-rods? Once again, I am completely new to this, so any information would be great.

·
Registered
276 Posts
i did not start riding til i was 57. started with a sporty. now have vrod. the power of a vrod is awsome. some would warn against it because it is so powerful. as a relatively new rider i look at it differently more power is better and CAN be safer. i personally find the vrod very easy to ride. the only problem ive had im sure you will have and that is handling at extremely slow speeds. im getting better at it strongly recommend in addition to the course which is mandatory in my opinion, is getting the book "proficient motorcycling" by david hough. probably the best riding book ever written. helped me a great deal.
fred

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
I did the msf course too, had been a rider years back, but with a long break wanted a refresher.

One thing I would add is do not skimp on protective gear. Get top-rated protection and wear it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure thing, I'm already looking at the msf course. It's offered locally for $240 for 3 days with 10 hours of riding time.
As for the bike, it's being serviced right now and will be shipped out next week. As for the service, what should be done to it? It has 1,300 miles.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
synseer said:
:vrodforu: :vrod: :vrodforu: and :them: ...enough good advice already posted here. Listen to it and you should be good to go!
:them:

Welcome to the best place on the web!
Lots of great people and more truly knowledgable and helpful folks than anywhere else.
:welcome: :vrodforu: :welcome:

Learn how to ride that motorcycle! It is a wonderful ride!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As others said, take the MSF course.

·
GA. BOY
2,462 Posts
welcome!!!

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
hawk570 said:
I'm taking the class for sure, I really don't want to drop the bike or even try to ride in until I am sure I can ride it. As for the bike, any thing I should know in regards to problems or maintanance with the v-rods? Once again, I am completely new to this, so any information would be great.

Take a week off from work, have a seat at the computer and start reading this forum. LOL
You will find out all you need to know about a vrod and then some. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts