Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
IBA 1000/1500 member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - Jim from Denver -just purchased an 07 VRSCX (400/1400) with 3k mi. VERY happy after wanting one for a few years....my FLHX won't be getting much attention this year.

I am strongly considering the Trask Tubo, have talked to Nick...and as long as I don't have to send too much to the IRS I'll be pulling the trigger. The feedback I desire is that I am short. 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam. I already put the "reach" pegs on the forward controls and I am very comfortable. My question...is my right leg gonna melt on the exhaust pipe of the Trask Turbo system? I know the pipe is coated and there's a heat shield, but for the shorter riders out there like me....how bad is it?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated - thank you.

Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I am 6'-1" and I use to notice the heat from the pipe, not while ridng, but while at stop lights. I lowered the bike, which gave me a more flat footed stance and room out over the pipe. Nick can wrap it in heat wrap, and still put the heat shield on.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Welcome!

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
it does get warm but as long as you wear the appropriate clothing you'll be fine.. and the speed is worth the scars.. welcome!

·
IBA 1000/1500 member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the "welcomes" and advice thus far. I never ride in shorts so as long as I don't need kevlar lined jeans, I should be good to go with riding boots and jeans then huh?

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
What's wrong with Kevlar lined Jeans?
It depends a lot on your riding style and engine load. My exhaust starts glowing in the dark already during partial load.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
First, welcome to the tribe... I've run the Trask turbo for three years now and you'll like it if you decide to bite the bullet and become a forced induction junkie like some of us in the turbo tribe... You'll be ok with the exhaust pipe, like others have said, wear the proper clothing and you'll be ok...

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Boost Junkie in the making...lol

Jeans are just fine I put 3000 miles in 9 days with my turbo and not one problem.

Welcome to the forum!

Use the search fuction and read alot and you will learn alot and as I say...

Harley will make a mechanic out of you too.

Check out the how to Vids. link in Sig.

Good Luck

rsc

·
IBA 1000/1500 member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I live just a few miles from Rocky Mountain HD.

I appreciate all the warm welcoming wishes thus far - thank you.

I am very sure I'll pull the trigger soon. I've had the pleasure to ride with my mentor who owns a turbo and bagged '03 V-Rod. We did an Iron Butt ride together recently while I was on my '09 FLHX with a warmed over 110".....at speed...on the highway, me in my "powerband" (bike has 106hp/118lb/ft) he could run away from me at will like i slammed on the brakes......it's a beautiful thing to observe, I cannot wait to experience...thus the recent adddion to the stable. Almost there....

Attachments

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Like Gdub said: "I am 6'-1" and I use to notice the heat from the pipe, not while ridng, but while at stop lights. I lowered the bike, which gave me a more flat footed stance and room out over the pipe. Nick can wrap it in heat wrap, and still put the heat shield on."
I have wrapped my pipe under the shield and it's still hot. Had to put an ofset right peg extension to get away from the pipe.
So far, the best money i ever spent on this mod...:)

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
I had my girlfriend make me a heat shield that is made of heat resistant material that goes around my calf under my jeans that works great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts