Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a long time Harley rider (current bike is an '05 Sportster 1200 with the SE 10:1 pistons and other goodies, Progressive suspension front and rear and other gear to set it up for touring). I'm looking at a leftover '07 Night Rod that's been sitting on my dealer's floor for over three years. Current retail for a used '07 is in the mid-$10k range. Since this is a new (leftover) three-year-old (soon to be four-year-old) bike, I'm unsure about what to consider a fair price. As always, the dealer doesn't want to discount it too much. What do you folks think?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Tell him to piss off. It is a buyers market right now with the economy. Don't get caught up with going brand new unless you have to for financing reasons. Pleanty of nice bikes out there at great prices right now.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
$10k for a ZERO miles '07 is a good deal. Hell, used '07s are going in the $8k range without warranty.
If you can get it $10k out the door I say do it. Use the facts that it is "only" an 1130 instead of 1250, and no ABS as haggling points to get the price you want. Throw in the known crappy fuel gauge issues.
I agree with Gdub that it's a buyer's market, but they're not gonna GIVE the bike away.

·
Registered
179 Posts
$10k out the door which includes TTL....plus warranty, yup, I would do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, the dealer started the conversaton by pointing out that they'd already discounted the bike to $16,200, so they are not serious about dealing on the bike and we are so far apart that nothing is likely to happen. I'll just keep looking. Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Well you can get a 2009 for less than his starting price!

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
I hate to say this, but most dealers even NON HD ones, are not looking to do the right thing or even care about being fair. I went to see a 2008 Moto Guzzi Cali Vintage the other day. These bikes are still being made today (2010) and are less than 1100cc. Brand new they sell for 14995. He wants 13k. No test ride, doesn't even have or want to make an attempt to put a battery in it to let me hear it run! He has a HUGE list of manufacturers in his shop, I doubt he sells many Guzzi's or Aprilia's. (even though he claims to be a top dealer of these bikes in New Jersey.)
Your dealer is playing hard ball plain and simple. There were quite a few members here who got left over D's at FANTASTIC prices. Look elsewhere, let him eat that D. My BRAND NEW 2006 D in the summer of 2005 cost me 14950, where does he get off asking for more?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Maybe try again towards the end of the month and wait until the 2011s come out in a couple of weeks. Their prices should come down, if not move on.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Hell, I'll sell ya mine for $10K and it's already been bad-assified! :)

·
Movin' on....
5,297 Posts
Yes, her bike is bad-ass!!! But then, so's the rider!:D

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Screw new! Unless there is some major engineering feat, get a used one. Buy Kerri's! The BMW dealer in Grand Rapids, MI has a 07 VRSCAW, dripping in chrome, for $9400. Fly in, ride out, save thousands. Joe

·
2006 VRSCD
18 Posts
You can always check Craigslist too man. I got my 06 from a local guy for 9K with tons of extras and just under 5K miles. He even pointed me to you guys on the forum. Overall there are great deals out there but you just need to wait for them to come to you.

·
Registered abUser
299 Posts
Ask him again, then when he tells you the price burst out laughing loud. Then ask him 'no seriously'
Point out that a sitting bike is not new. Rubber and gaskets age, and technology has moved on a bit - what with ABS, Slipper clutch etc... missing from that one.

Sometimes you can find a used bike with very low KM, which should be just about as good as this one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got mine for 11.5 and it was 3 years old with 5 miles on it from the dealer. Had the some extra chrome on it also. They have to pay a floor fee if it sits long enough and they don't sell it. I would wait and see if they come down or look online there are some good deals out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts