Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just bought a 2005 V-Rod with less than 8,000 miles on it. I am retired, live on the coast of Georgia and have been riding motorcycles for 51 years. I can't count the bikes I've owned, this is my first V-Rod, really enjoy it! Looking forward to gaining and sharing information here; I just found a Mustang seat on eBay so I will be checking the how-to section to figure out how to take my seat off. So far it is not cooperating....

·
Registered
658 Posts
Welcome.... Lots of good info here...
There is a "clip" in the middle of the hinge. pop that off, slide seat back and off the hinge.

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts
Welcome to 1130cc (y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome.... Lots of good info here...
There is a "clip" in the middle of the hinge. pop that off, slide seat back and off the hinge.
I have looked at several threads about seat removal, and watched a couple of YouTube videos that show the seat sliding out with ease. I have pried out the plastic clip but my seat will not budge. It's not rusted, it rotates freely and I have shot lots of lubricant into the hinges. Not sure what to do....
Tire Automotive tire Auto part

·
Registered
658 Posts
oh my, that is the last place I would take it. I'm not sure of your mechanical ability and I am not trying to offend you in any way, but this is not rocket science. Maybe you can get a drift on the pin and tap it through? If you are not comfortable doing this then off to the dealer it is I guess. Just be prepared for a nice bill.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh my, that is the last place I would take it. I'm not sure of your mechanical ability and I am not trying to offend you in any way, but this is not rocket science. Maybe you can get a drift on the pin and tap it through? If you are not comfortable doing this then off to the dealer it is I guess. Just be prepared for a nice bill.
I have basic mechanical abilities, but this one has me stumped. Due to the angle of the hinges and the seat being in the way, I can't really get a good punch at the pins. I'm wondering if I can somehow remove the pins from the seat; I'll look at that option tomorrow.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,554 Posts
Pins are part of the seat base. If you must first remove the rear seat, a single bolt, then pull the seat forward off of the fender clip. Once the rear is off the front should be easier to wiggle, rotate and slide off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pins are part of the seat base. If you must first remove the rear seat, a single bolt, then pull the seat forward off of the fender clip. Once the rear is off the front should be easier to wiggle, rotate and slide off.
Thanks for the suggestion, I removed the rear seat easily, but the rider seat is still stuck. Maybe the pins are warped, but something is definitely binding and keeping it from sliding off. Next project is to drill out the rivets holding the pins to the seat pan. It may be easier to get the pins out if they are not attached to the seat. Really scratching my head on this one....it looks so easy on YouTube!

·
EXCELSIOR
8,554 Posts
Yeah, should be just wiggle and slide it backwards till the pins come free from the loops on the frame. I've never had any issues with mine, take it off every time I wash the bike, as I had my seat leather covered and don't like to get it wet. Generally it's more problem to get the plastic piece out than pull off the seat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, I finally had to drill out the rivets connecting the hinge plate to the seat pan, which allowed me to cut the hinge plate off of the seat pins. Still not sure why the hinges wouldn't come off the seat pins but the bottom line is I got them off and figured out a way to rig up the Mustang seat. Now I need to find a replacement seat hinge to rivet back on the old seat pan. Weather looks pretty good today so I'm getting ready to go for a ride to test out the Mustang seat. Feels more comfortable already, I'm looking forward to it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts