Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Not in EP anymore
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to go cheap for once and see if I could figure this out. RJ gave me a lot of info in this thread.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69427

I took my time installing it and am now at about a 90% solution.

At the end of the previous post I had a setup but I figured something was wired wrong. Now, the lights don't flash at arming and disarming. I figure I have to look at the two wires going into the aux power line.

Anyway, I don't plan on starting the bike that many times when I'm not sitting on it. But I do like not having to use the key. I kept the key ignition in place and just tapped off of the exsisting wires.

Here is a movie clip showing what it can do.

http://www.1130cc.com/gallery/misc.php?do=downloadfile&i=35500

While I was at it, I bought a $25ish battery tender at Lowes this morning. It came with the battery terminal plugs, a cigraret lighter adapter, and alligator clip adapter. I just have to pop the side cover off and plug in the charger now. I can put the cigaret one in my truck and charge it.

Also, here are some pictures of the final product under the cover.

Auto part Engine Wire Fuel line Vehicle

Auto part Fuel line Engine Wire Cable

Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Exhaust manifold

Wire Electrical wiring Auto part Fuel line Technology

Electrical wiring Wire Auto part Engine Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Looks like a clean install but the added advantage the the DGD gives is by far money well spent.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Nice Work. Glad it worked out for you.

RJ

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
I ran my pigtail down the left framerail along with the other wiring.tucked it in tight so its hardly noticeable.Easy to get to also. Of course the dealer fixed it for me so its flappin in the breeze, so I have to re do it
Ed

·
Not in EP anymore
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
al-v-rod said:
Looks like a clean install but the added advantage the the DGD gives is by far money well spent.
Considering I had no alarm to start with I think this was a good deal. I do have to move a a couple of wires and turn down the sensitivity a little and I think this will be a good move.

Just another option out there for those who don't want to spend that much.

·
Not in EP anymore
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rjrivero said:
Nice Work. Glad it worked out for you.

RJ
RJ you were right about the blue wire. It goes to the 86 pin on the relay. I didn't have to cut into the harness, there was anoough loose wire to splice into.

I think I have the pink and grey wires in the wrong place but it doesn't seem to be causing a problem.

Additionally the gauge of wire didn't seem to bother as all it seems to be doing is triggering and not carrying the full load.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
NightRod ELPASO said:
RJ you were right about the blue wire. It goes to the 86 pin on the relay. I didn't have to cut into the harness, there was anoough loose wire to splice into.

I think I have the pink and grey wires in the wrong place but it doesn't seem to be causing a problem.

Additionally the gauge of wire didn't seem to bother as all it seems to be doing is triggering and not carrying the full load.
Please keep an eye on that wire system. Keep an eye on the insulation. My fear is one of heat on those thin wires.

RJ

·
Not in EP anymore
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rjrivero said:
Please keep an eye on that wire system. Keep an eye on the insulation. My fear is one of heat on those thin wires.

RJ

I plan on keeping a close eye on it. If I see any issues what so ever it's easy to rip out quickly and I'll report it here.

·
Not in EP anymore
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went on a poker run today and used this start feature everywhere I went. I also had to show it off so I started and stopped it a couple of times for people who wanted to see it. Just got home and checked the wires and there are no issues.

·
Not in EP anymore
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update To Keyless Mod

I thought I would post an update to this thread. I've been contacted by a few people on where they can get this set up. Here is a similar product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/THOR-LCD-REMOTE-ENGINE-STRAT-STARTER-MOTORCYCLE-ALARM-R_W0QQitemZ160172820991QQihZ006QQcategoryZ34284QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

rjrivero said:

RJ
Since the installation I've taken short/med/and long trips. One trip was a 10 hour trip in one day with only fuel stops. I have not had a single issue with the setup except for the remote start.

It's not smart to have a remote start feature on a motorcycle. I got lucky the one time I tried to start it with the bike in gear. After that one close call I cut that wire. It still works has a keyless alarm system. I use the remote start feature now to allow the start and run switches to work. I have no complaints about this product and for a cheap mod I would call it a "MUST".

·
Riding the Rev
1,523 Posts
With remote starts I always perceive someone running after the bike as it drives itself off. LOL.

·
Not in EP anymore
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a scary thing to see your bike lurch forward when your about 15 feet away.

But like I said, I cut that wire. This alarm system allows keyless operation and also disables the bike when the alarm is armed. You still have to arm/disarm it with the key fob.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts