Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I now own an 02 Electra Glide. I bought it thinking the wife would ride more but that did not happen. So I don't need a touring bike.I have a pretty good chance to trade even up from my 02 to a 04 V Rod. I live in South Central Pa and have allot of country roads to ride. Maybe once a year my buddies and I might take a longer trip anywhere from 300 to 500 miles. Do you think I will be sorry moving from the Glide to the Rod. I have read where dealers don't treat you very well owning a Rod. It seems you hardly ever see any V Rods in the dealers in my surrounding area. I had my knee replaced a little over a year ago and the weight of the Glide is to much to push backwards if I need too, and I had neck surgery about 4 years ago and have 3 plates and 15 screws in it and I have to sit straight up or my neck gets tired after about 50 miles. I sat on this V Rod and it seems fine but I would like some pro's and con's.I already know about the small tank issue. Thanks guys for you help. I forgot to add I will be 57 in a month, am I too old for this style bike, the more I look at them the more they grow on ya.
Dave C (Clap)

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,416 Posts
Welcome to 1130cc.com ...I dont think you are too old for this style bike and you can always change seats, bars, etc. to make the ride more comfortable for your health concerns.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
You might not get respect from dealers, but that may be because you don't need to service the VRod as much! Haha!

Here is the list I think of:

Pros:
  • Power
  • Unique
  • Best looking Harley. EVER.
  • Low center of balance
  • Did I mention power?
Cons
  • Seat
  • Passenger torture device (seat)
  • Not as many parts options
  • Lean angle
  • exhaust is too quiet (and weighs a ton)
  • setup for someone 5'8"

Now the cons are pretty easy to fix except for the lean angle (which can be helped but not cured by the exhaust change). You didn't mention how tall you are, but if you are over 6' you will have some work to make it more comfortable for long rides. It is definitely something that you can put up with for a while. The one mod I want to do that I haven't yet is to cut down the seat and install a gel or air bag in it. Cost is way cheaper than a stock harley seat and you can customize it to fit your.. well.. ass. I find the stock seat curves too slowly in the back and I sit on my tailbone.

I love my V and wouldn't want any other harley. I think that is pretty much the norm here. We are a tight knit group who is alway there to help.

Good luck!
-Keith

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I say keep the EG and buy the V-Rod.Neither one of these bikes hold a decent value right now and depending on the condition of the V-rod,it's worth between 6 and 8.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might not get respect from dealers, but that may be because you don't need to service the VRod as much! Haha!

Here is the list I think of:

Pros:
  • Power
  • Unique
  • Best looking Harley. EVER.
  • Low center of balance
  • Did I mention power?
Cons
  • Seat
  • Passenger torture device (seat)
  • Not as many parts options
  • Lean angle
  • exhaust is too quiet (and weighs a ton)
  • setup for someone 5'8"

Now the cons are pretty easy to fix except for the lean angle (which can be helped but not cured by the exhaust change). You didn't mention how tall you are, but if you are over 6' you will have some work to make it more comfortable for long rides. It is definitely something that you can put up with for a while. The one mod I want to do that I haven't yet is to cut down the seat and install a gel or air bag in it. Cost is way cheaper than a stock harley seat and you can customize it to fit your.. well.. ass. I find the stock seat curves too slowly in the back and I sit on my tailbone.

I love my V and wouldn't want any other harley. I think that is pretty much the norm here. We are a tight knit group who is alway there to help.

Good luck!
-Keith
I am only 5'7" so that's one thing I got going for me.I am not a real aggressive rider so I guess the lean angle shouldn't bother me.It has Vance and Hines exhaust on it now. I am able to do alot of my own engine work on my Twin Cam, will this engine be harder to work on for a DIYer.I would love to put the larger tank in but just can't see $500 for a plastic jug. LOL So I guess I would have to live with stopping every 90 miles for gas.I sat on it and the seat felt great and the pull back bars felt good too along with the forward controls, I just have not got to take it for a ride yet. Just sitting on it it was more comfy than my Glide. And do you have to keep the R's up like a crotch rocket, like I said I am not a speed demon. Out on highways I will run 75 to 80 but on the twisty's I slow up.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I guess it's all in what you like. I am 53 and I made the transition from sports bikes. So the lean angle doesn't bother me at all. I love the power, look and comfort of the V-Rod. Again, this is relative to where I came from. The V-Rod has the right mix of power and comfort for me now and I don't have to limp around with sore hips from being scrunched up on a liter bike anymore. My V-Rod is the best bike I have ever owned. I owned a Heritage at one time too, but it was big, fat and slow. Not my style.

Phatass

·
The Crusades
772 Posts
Clap

Just turned 63 today...I've a 09 VRSCAW.. Traded a Softail in on it

Still ride my bud's FLH's once in a while.

I absolutely love my V - Light Weight, Powerful, Different,
and an absolute joy to own.

Every time I get off one of those borrowed FLH's I'm thankful that I own my V.

Backing the V up is no problem as they weigh less than
a Dyna.

My recommendation - get a V you will love it!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All the V rods I have looked at in some of the dealers close to me are asking between 10 and 12 grand for an 03 to 05 model. With what you are saying they are way over priced ,right. I don't think my E Glide will bring more than 10 and I have put everything but the kitchen sink on it.Along with new cams and the tensioner shoe upgrade to hydrolic. Happy B Day RodKing I am slowly getting talked into it. I just love the way they look. (Mean)

·
The Crusades
772 Posts
All the V rods I have looked at in some of the dealers close to me are asking between 10 and 12 grand for an 03 to 05 model. With what you are saying they are way over priced ,right. I don't think my E Glide will bring more than 10 and I have put everything but the kitchen sink on it.Along with new cams and the tensioner shoe upgrade to hydrolic. Happy B Day RodKing I am slowly getting talked into it. I just love the way they look. (Mean)
Example: a local dealer just offered me $10.500.00 for my 09AW..
So, yeah, I would say your dealer's are overpriced...

Try: www.chopperexchange.com and Craigslist

JMO

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
If you have neck problems you should budget for a screen as there is no wind protection which can be a problem if travelling for long distances

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If you get an '07 or newer the gas tank is bigger and you don't need to goof around with aftermarket.

As others have said, there are a plethora of seats, windshields, handlebars and so on to customize it to your liking. I suggest checking out the forum's classified section first.

You don't need to keep the revs up to keep it moving but its an awful lot of fun to do.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I found on the wind buffering issue that drag bars helped a ton! I got rizomas and instead of sitting straight up gettting pounded by the wind, I lean down a little more and the wind just flows down.

I would look around and see what you can get private. I have seen some nice bikes for cheap that are 07 and newer. I love my 02 but wouldn't mind a newer one!

I am up in State College so if you are ever up this way let me know!

-Keith

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Go ride one - most dealers will let you. Then decide. 300-500 mile trips are an easy day's ride. A windshield is a good idea, and a larger gas tank is, too. I just got a salvage 09AW for 8950. A little paint, a couple of parts, and it looks new - really is new, with 1600 miles on it. Keep the E-glide. They will give you nothing for it. Maybe it will be worth more later, but I sure regret trading in - you are allowed to have more than one. They are not like wives - you can have as many as you want - and they don't care. I doubt I will trade any more in - if something new comes along, I will just buy it. JMHO, Joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts