Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, brand new to the forum and looking to switch over to a Vrod very soon. Little background is that I have ridden sportbikes all of my life up until this point and have really like the forward riding stance of them. But alas I am getting older and really want my wife to be able to ride with me now and I found the Vrod line and really like them so far.
I am in the market for a bike, but unfortunately have a limited budget so I am shopping for used bikes right now. I have looked at a few and found some pretty decent deals on older bikes 2003, 2004 models.
One thing that is an absolute must for me is being able to change out the handlebars on the older bikes. I have sat on a new VRSCF muscle and love the way those bars feel. I am just wanting some advice on how difficult it is to replace bars with a drag bar on the VRSCA or VRSCB? I am a big guy, about 6'4" and really like the wider more forward arm and hand position. Any advice that you can give me or links to bar options would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Welcome !
Lots of good deals on V-rods on craigslist posted in the nashville area. I have a " B " model . Changed the bars to drag bars from v-mod . I also come from a sportbike back ground and these bars felt good to what I am use to. The Bs are very easy to change the bars , and I am sure the A models are as well . It just depends on what color you want the frame . Good Luck !

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome !
Lots of good deals on V-rods on craigslist posted in the nashville area. I have a " B " model . Changed the bars to drag bars from v-mod . I also come from a sportbike back ground and these bars felt good to what I am use to. The Bs are very easy to change the bars , and I am sure the A models are as well . It just depends on what color you want the frame . Good Luck !
Yeah I know I found a great deal on a 2003 A model on CL in Nashville, but am concerned that changing out bars on the A's are going to be difficult...but it is a have to thing. I can't ride with the stock bars. Way too tall and too long for that. Anybody ever changed the bars out on an "A" model to a dragbar setup? How difficult and expensive is it?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I was in your same boat a few years back. My neck and shoulders just couldn't take the riding position of a "real" bike any longer. While I now have a V-Rod, I must say that the "best" non-sportbike I've ever had was the Yamaha FZ-1. Definitely look at that before pulling the trigger.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Yeah I know I found a great deal on a 2003 A model on CL in Nashville, but am concerned that changing out bars on the A's are going to be difficult...but it is a have to thing. I can't ride with the stock bars. Way too tall and too long for that. Anybody ever changed the bars out on an "A" model to a dragbar setup? How difficult and expensive is it?
You can buy a B model cluster and a set of 1" drag bars to fix your problem. I'm 6 6" and went out a little more with my bars using Destroyer risers.

These are the bars I used

http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/Prod...k|1||TopSeller|1||Universal Fit|0&results=10#

This is what the setup looks like installed.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/album.php?albumid=378

I think the A model is a better buy because it comes with chrome engine covers unlike the B's with polished covers.

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
In all honesty if your wife riding with you is a primary reason you might want to explore different pillion seats and have her ride along on a test ride before purchasing - I've seen more than a few newbies end up with pissed wives over how uncomfortable the rides can be for them.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
Hey guys, brand new to the forum and looking to switch over to a Vrod very soon. Little background is that I have ridden sportbikes all of my life up until this point and have really like the forward riding stance of them. But alas I am getting older and really want my wife to be able to ride with me now and I found the Vrod line and really like them so far.
I am in the market for a bike, but unfortunately have a limited budget so I am shopping for used bikes right now. I have looked at a few and found some pretty decent deals on older bikes 2003, 2004 models.
One thing that is an absolute must for me is being able to change out the handlebars on the older bikes. I have sat on a new VRSCF muscle and love the way those bars feel. I am just wanting some advice on how difficult it is to replace bars with a drag bar on the VRSCA or VRSCB? I am a big guy, about 6'4" and really like the wider more forward arm and hand position. Any advice that you can give me or links to bar options would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
I'm also 6'4 and have really ended up only using my vrod for day rides and commuting; I'm convinced they built these bikes for people under 5' 7. I'd buy whatever year came out with adjustable handlebars. Also .. if you're long legged, 36" inseam, you may find the seat/forward controls combination less than comfortable for longer rides. And, lastly, as far as riding double on this bike .. I'd buy the wife her own XR1200 to ride alongside rather than on back. :)

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
For a few $100 you swap out the "A" riser for the "B" riser and you are fine. I did it no problem.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
what lux said or look up ohiovrod a member here and go to his business fitzgerald motorsport and have a look at the drag bars he has for A models

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
This doesn't make sense to me. If your knees are already in your chest because you're so long legged, why would you want to move the handlebars forward?

Wouldn't you rather first focus on moving the pegs forward or the seat back?

The handlebars can easily be changed either way. The real question should be how to get your knees down. That's not so easy.

:vrodforu:

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
This doesn't make sense to me. If your knees are already in your chest because you're so long legged, why would you want to move the handlebars forward?

Wouldn't you rather first focus on moving the pegs forward or the seat back?
My knees aren't in my chest it would just be more comfortable, as it is currently less than comfortable for longer rides, with a higher seat or my pegs extended another 2 or 3 inches.

Having the handlebars forward would naturally shift my weight forward which is nice for cornering and tucking in behind a windscreen .. neither in themselves are a huge deal but are certainly not optimal and do detract from longer distance riding.

Why haven't I made these changes? My significant other also rides it, at least occassionally, and it fits her perfectly the way it is, as I said, it seems to be designed for people under 5'7 .. if it was just me riding it, I'd have already dialed it in.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
By the way .. less than comfortable for longer rides, on a cruiser, is still way more comfortable than on a cafe style bike where my knees start achng from being bent so tightly .. it is all relative.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can buy a B model cluster and a set of 1" drag bars to fix your problem. I'm 6 6" and went out a little more with my bars using Destroyer risers.

These are the bars I used

http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/Prod...k|1||TopSeller|1||Universal Fit|0&results=10#

This is what the setup looks like installed.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/album.php?albumid=378

I think the A model is a better buy because it comes with chrome engine covers unlike the B's with polished covers.
This is very good advice. I didn't realize that changing over the clusters was such an easy swap. Also didn't realize the difference in the engine covers...thanks man

In all honesty if your wife riding with you is a primary reason you might want to explore different pillion seats and have her ride along on a test ride before purchasing - I've seen more than a few newbies end up with pissed wives over how uncomfortable the rides can be for them.
That is not my primary reason for changing...but it will be nice for us to be able to go for a little Sunday afternoon cruise after church which is impossible on my ZX6R right now. Really just getting older and realizing that I want to get off of sportbikes so I can hopefully be around to see my little boy grow up...lol

I'm also 6'4 and have really ended up only using my vrod for day rides and commuting; I'm convinced they built these bikes for people under 5' 7. I'd buy whatever year came out with adjustable handlebars. Also .. if you're long legged, 36" inseam, you may find the seat/forward controls combination less than comfortable for longer rides. And, lastly, as far as riding double on this bike .. I'd buy the wife her own XR1200 to ride alongside rather than on back. :)
This is primarily what my use will be as well. Not gonna be any cross country cruises or anything...I have not test rode one yet but have set on quite a few and the controls feel pretty decent to me...not too forward but not cramped either
For a few $100 you swap out the "A" riser for the "B" riser and you are fine. I did it no problem.
How difficult is this swap if I went this route, and where do I purchase a cluster? I'm sure a dealer will rape you on one.

what lux said or look up ohiovrod a member here and go to his business fitzgerald motorsport and have a look at the drag bars he has for A models
Will do...thanks

·
brett
9,338 Posts
for the riser and stuff u will need keep an eye on the classifieds for sale section , or post in the wanted section, once ur able to, not sure how long u need to be a member before u can do that though ,failing both of them as a last resort ,ebay or craigs list

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
My experience, over the .. 'dayum' .. 40 years I've owned and ridden motorcycles, you really can't tell how well a bike fits you and your style until you've ridden it a while although, from my myopic perspective, anything will be more comfortable then a sports bike if you're planning on rlding anymore than 30 minutes at a time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My experience, over the .. 'dayum' .. 40 years I've owned and ridden motorcycles, you really can't tell how well a bike fits you and your style until you've ridden it a while although, from my myopic perspective, anything will be more comfortable then a sports bike if you're planning on rlding anymore than 30 minutes at a time.
I agree with this, but I don't know many people who are willing to let you take their bike for a cruise around town so you can decide if you want to buy it or not...ya know

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
On the flip side .. virtually all Harleys are as adjustable as any bike I've ever owned or ridden. I was just considering this whilst taking a quick ride on my vrod trying to decide whether to spend the money to move the handlebars forward.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On the flip side .. virtually all Harleys are as adjustable as any bike I've ever owned or ridden. I was just considering this whilst taking a quick ride on my vrod trying to decide whether to spend the money to move the handlebars forward.
Well that is what I am looking for. I agree it is tough to guage how well you will like the ride of a bike until you are on it, but in my limited time and experience with the few that I've looked at, moving the handlebars forward to a stance that is similar to a newer model one is the ideal set up.

What exactly are the differences in the "A" and "B" model risers and clusters and what makes the "B" so much easier to change?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts