Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I am new to the forum and I am very interested in getting a v-rod. I have been a sportbike owner for years and now want to graduate to something with a little more ballz. The style of the V-rod really cought my attention and I have heard so many good things about it. I was wondering what your advice would be for a first time HD buyer. Is there a model which you enjoy more? I was also pondering about the control positions, I have never rode a bike with forward controls. I look forward to your opinions.

-Jester

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Jester.

Pretty well what ever model you decide on can have the foot controls switched to suit your wants or needs.

Rest assured that all of the information for the swap is readily available right here on the Forum from fellow members.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Welcome!

It depends on what you want, what looks good to you, and whether you want forward or mid controls...and what height you want on your bike as to the model to look for. for a lower ride -- nightrod special.. for a higher ride street rod... lots of chrome and some mods.. screaming eagle... I would suggest looking on the different model forums here and reading up on them.
I got mine in Feb (first Harley AND first bike) 05 vrscb.. I love it.

You might want to look at the gallery section also.

This should get you started..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_VRSC

1.1 VRSCA V-Rod
1.2 VRSCAW V-Rod
1.3 VRSCB V-Rod
1.4 VRSCD Night Rod
1.5 VRSCDX Night Rod Special
1.6 VRSCF V-Rod Muscle
1.7 VRSCSE: Screamin' Eagle CVO V-Rod
1.8 VRSCSE2: Screamin' Eagle CVO V-Rod
1.9 VRSCR: Street Rod
1.10 VRSCX: V-Rod

}:)

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
:welcome: I was leery of the forward controls at first too, but quickly learned to love them. Besides, it's easy enough to bolt on mids if you prefer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just want to start by saying thank you for the warm welcome and the great information. I have checked out the site and after looking at the information I am leaning toward the night rod model. Of course I will want to customize it to make it look unique, but I think the night rod looks best to start with.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Welcome

See if you can find a local dealer that does rentals and rent for a weekend to try one out.

Welcome and the NightRod is a great choice to start with , they are all very easy to customize with many parts being available here a great discounts.

I also came from a Sportsbike /Dirtbike background with a 10year layoff and this past year has been very enjoyable riding again.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
The 08 and up models have a larger fuel tank, Brembo brakes and a slipper clutch. Worthwhile upgrades. They also have a slightly larger motor, and maybe a couple more horsepower.

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
:welcome::vrodforu::welcome:

Welcome to the forum Jester927! Malcomx makes a good point. 2007 saw some worthwhile upgrades - notably a larger fuel tank and 240 rear tire and the 2008's came standard with a slipper clutch, but this is an easy drop in upgrade for earlier models.

The anodized skins were pretty much gone after 2004 so if that feature is important to you you'll probably be looking at 02's and 03's - which are selling at good prices right now.

Knowing what I know today - if I were to buy another V-Rod, it would most likely be a pre 07 D model for the mid mount controls. I just like the look of the sleeker frame before the widening for the larger fuel tank. But that's just my opinion.

Shop around and ask questions, maybe even rent one like ImNoPrince has suggested. Just be aware that there are more styles out there than the DX and F models available for 2011.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Welcome Jester 927

Having come from sport bikes myself I was leery of the seating position and controls. Being that I am 6'4" I did not want to look like I was riding a tricycle. I ended up with a 2009 Night Rod and immediately ordered 3" forward controls from killerVrod. The bike was very different from what I was use to but, as I age my mind and body do not communicate as they did when I was in my 20's so, the change was made. Must say I love the bike. I find the the power and torque to be good in stock but as with sport bikes making it breath is always first on the list.

You have stated a thank you for all the replies and you will find many helpful members and useful threads on the site. Warning... spending too much time on the forum may cause a lack of riding and a drain on the pocket book as many members have great ideas to customize the bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once again I would like to say thank you for all of the great advice. I feel very lucky to have found this site and been greeted with such a warm welcome. VRSCDave I know what you are saying about hanging out here, I am already looking at mods for the bike I do not even own yet. I think you guys have put my mind at easy about not being happy with the performance of the v-rod compared to the bikes I used to ride. I do like the added features with the newer models, but the price is what is holding me back, I am really trying to stay in the 7-9k range. Although, I am a sucker for a fat rear tire and since the newer ones already come with a nice one, that may be worth the extra $$. I will have to chew on it some more and keep my eye out for a good deal. Thanks again, you all have been very helpful.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Welcome! I've got an 05 B and still love it after 5 years. Like somebody else said I would recommend a model with the bigger gas tank.

·
Justpassinthru
8,976 Posts
Welcome and may you find one just right for you and enjoy it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts