Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys... I just got an 02 V-Rod with 2200 miles, samson exhaust, power commander, chrome upper and lower belt covers, Braided stainless coolant hoses, SE air filter, and a few other little odds and ends.
After doing a little browsing this looks like a cool site and I look forward to learning a lot from you guys. this is my first street bike, but definately not my first bike or the first street bike I've ridden. I've only had the bike for 2 days and I already have some ?'s...

1. the guy I bought it from said the samson exhaust was one of the very few systems you could get in 02, and that he definately felt a loss in power in the low and midrange. These are open pipes with no baffles etc.. The bike is extremely loud, and I like loud, BUT this is really loud. Would putiing the stock pipes back on be a good idea? I'll have to listen to a vid with the stock exhaust drilled...

2. if I put the stock exhaust back I'm guessing I'll have to return the tune to stock. How would I go about doing that with the power commander?

3. The bike seems to burn a lot of gas.. Maybe like 110 miles to a tank, does this sound normal? It's like once it gets to just below half you can almost watch it fall..lol

4. What's the best chrome polish you guys have found? gotta clean her up, she's been sitting in his garage for a few years with very little ride time..

I appreciate any help on this stuff, and looke forward to becoming a regular on the site.

Tom:D

·
Dragger o' Pegs
3,461 Posts
3. 110 miles is good!!!

4. Metal Mania or Prism Polish are both incredible! The more you rub the better it works.......ummm, yeah, nevermind

·
LIVE FULL THROTTLE
1,385 Posts
WELCOME your answers are on their way...

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
:vrodforu:

1- Sampsons do eat HP and they are loud. You could try other exhausts like CFR & Rinehart.
2- I wouldn't put the stock back on, but if you did you would have to upload a new map to your PC. That also applies to any other exhaust change.
3- 110 miles is right in line with what I get.
4- I use Never Dull. Works great and have yet to find a mark or scuff it won't take out.

·
Registered
553 Posts
02VRODTOM said:
Hi guys... I just got an 02 V-Rod with 2200 miles...
Tom:D
Hey Tom...
I bought my V-Rod April Fool's day and since then this is the best thing that happened to me yet, finding 1130cc.com that is... You are going to see areas for technical info to browse and there is no shortage of good advise and experience here... Consider that you found two treasures, your most excellent motorcycle and a place where you can find out all about it, spend billions on parts and see some of the sickest rides out there, regardless of model...

From a pretty green member "Welcome" and know that this place is da bomb...

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Welcome!
I use Nevr Dull also.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Welcome to the board!

I had Sampson Long Cannons on my bike when I bought it back in Jan of 06. and needless to say they where very loud but dear god did they ever rob the POWER.

Griots Chrome Polish is some of the best! www.griotsgarage.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so if I want to go a little less loud but get all my power back or maybe even add a couple horses, what would you guys recommend as some of the better pipes. At least then I have a starting point.. BTW i'm not rich so I'm looking for a best "bang for the buck" set of pipes..

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Welcome to the best place on the web!
Lots of great people and more truly knowledgable and helpful folks than anywhere else.
:welcome: :vrodforu: :welcome:

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
02VRODTOM said:
so if I want to go a little less loud but get all my power back or maybe even add a couple horses, what would you guys recommend as some of the better pipes. At least then I have a starting point.. BTW i'm not rich so I'm looking for a best "bang for the buck" set of pipes..
Try installing some baffles in your pipes to tone it down a little and pick up a little HP. I used the thunder monster baffles in the head pipes on the samson long slashers I had installed and it sounded great. But you can probably pick up a pair of the stock baffles for those pipes pretty cheap. Someone in the forum might have a set laying around they would sell.

·
Wore Out Woodworker
1,620 Posts
:vrodforu:

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
I had baffles in mine and they still where HP stealers!
Be patient a set of Reinharts or Vance Hines will pop up here for sale for about 1/2 the price then new. Believe me I went the entrie season with the sampson pipes and this winter broke down and bought a set of 2-2 Reinharts and I could not be happier!

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
02VRODTOM said:
Welcome -- best bang for the buck are the stock pipes - V Modded :notworth:

·
Registered
553 Posts
02VRODTOM said:
Hi guys... I just got an 02 V-Rod
...another thing... The gas gauge can drive you nuts if you start to believe it... The first week or so I'd sort of strive to keep out of the "warning red" area... Now I watch the trip meter, and figure that space in the cluster is just being wasted right now with this ineffective sending unit and scheme... IMHO

...I also tended to lug it down a bit, using lower rpms, until I got used to it, and started to use the upper range, where the fun is... :) Just two fast observations from a new V-Rider...

·
brett
9,338 Posts
welcome,,now prepare to open your wallett with all the cool things you can learn to do,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,bought my bike said it was staying stock,,,lasted 2 months found this site ,,,,,,damn where did that10 grand go,,,,,,lol,,,

·
Registered
577 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I got 136 miles on mine but I ran out.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I get about 115 on mine, and once it hits between 1/4 and 1/8th the needle drops to empty within a few miles. Like others have said, I watch my trip meter more than my fuel guage.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts