Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2008 rod with V&H pipes. I think thats the only mod. What tuner would be best? Other mods?? Nothing crazy just want it to run REALLY WELL! :)

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
There isn't one. There are several very good units that that will do the job. Read this section for at least a day, decide what you want to do to your bike, then come back with specific questions.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
There isn't one. There are several very good units that that will do the job. Read this section for at least a day, decide what you want to do to your bike, then come back with specific questions.
Or else everyone will chime in about why the one THEY RUN is the best.

so :them:

ANY is just as good as another with JUST PIPES. Think ENDGAME - so you don't have to keep upgrading tuners and re-dyno-ing. Gets kinda EXPENSIVE (and real FRUSTRATING)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I really think all Ill do is maybe a good air filter. Pipes, airfilter, tuner...thats it. Unless there is something else I can do thats relatively inexpensive that doesnt hurt the ridability of the bike as a daily driver! Im just looking for a good, reliable tuner that can bring out the most in the bike with those mods. Im willing to have it dyno tuned if need be?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i prefer the hd tuner ,the sepst ,,,,or the mastertune is a good choice too but there are many others that will do the job..

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Thanks! I really think all Ill do is maybe a good air filter. Pipes, airfilter, tuner...thats it. Unless there is something else I can do thats relatively inexpensive that doesnt hurt the ridability of the bike as a daily driver! Im just looking for a good, reliable tuner that can bring out the most in the bike with those mods. Im willing to have it dyno tuned if need be?
Welcome to the asylum, errr, forum - by the way...

I have the mods listed in my sig, make 139HP, and it's my daily driver.

Aside from initial oil leaks and a head gasket leak (pre-mod, warranty) the bike has been trouble free. It is my daily driver, if it ain't raining (and I don't have equipment to carry that requires a car), then I'M RIDING.

Like I said earlier - PLAN FOR THE ENDGAME. If you;re going to do heads, cam, throttle body, etc. - WAIT - do it ALL AT ONCE, as the tuner you get NOW to tune for pipes/air cleaner - MAY NOT WORK AS WELL for other mods (the experience I and many others had with Thundermax not working right with SEII Cams).

If you go with the SEPST Tune, you will have to RETUNE for every mod (= dyno time), but it WILL WORK for everything EXCEPT Turbo or Supercharger (and it takes someone even CRAZIER than ME to do that :notworth:) - then again, you pretty much have to retune or find a close basemap for your PARTICULAR MOD COMBINATION with any other tuner ANYWAY. The MORE you mod - the LESS LIKELY you'll find a basemap (except maybe from a forum member HERE) and the less likely the (supposed) "autotune feature" of many of the 3rd party tuners is actually going to AUTOTUNE.

You will find complaints GALORE about every aftermarket tuner - but strangely enough - very few about SEPST. In my case - ALL MOD PARTS (except for mufflers and head work) are HARLEY PARTS, installed at a HARLEY DEALER (during the course of the warranty head gasket replacement) and TUNED at a HARLEY DEALER - so my service manager knows he pretty much OWNS ANY PROBLEM I have with the bike now (potential "warranty voiding modifications" to the motorcycle aside). I do all my own work pretty much - except that work where I prefer to have SOMEONE ELSE LIABLE for any adverse outcome, which I why I chose to have all my parts HD parts (new Destroyer throttle body, versus mod'd stocker for example). At this point, if anything goes awry that can't be attributed to Vance & Hines's head work, my dealer is gonna have to fix it.

Choose wisely grasshopper...

Rick

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Glad to see someone say that once in a while, most people use the poorest air filter there is, K&N.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Like the above posts mentioned. Read this forum over for a day or so, and go with what you want.

I went with a Thundermax/Autotune on one bike and a Powercommander on the other.

Powercommander was way cheaper and installed in minutes. There are lots of maps from forums guys that are great too.

welcome to the vrod forum

·
Muscle Man
868 Posts
after reading posts 'til my eyes bled, making phone calls, pm's and reading installation/operation manuals, I am going w/the TTS Mastertune and a great dyno tune. mods are V&H comp. duals, amsoil air cleaner, may go semi-topless, maybe not. also watching the motohooligan airbox/filter thread. I have about 6-8 weeks before I get my bike back so hopefully there will be enough info on the Moto piece for me to decide before I ride 4.5 hrs. away to get it dynoed and a map made for it. boss noss stealth in the future-the kit I want doesn't use the fuel injectors, so the tuner isn't involved.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Will a tuner help a stock bike

....entered in error

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Are you talking about the TTS Mastertune??? How much did you spend part & install?
TTS Matertune is the most advance flash tuner currently. It is not a HD tuner which is limited . TTS has more tables to work with. If you plan on boost down the road, go with Tmax as it works best in that area. PV is a close second and the one I used. I would have used TTS but I have the older version that needs the laptop to be carried along. Newer versions log on the VCI so not an issue now. Regardless of choice , find someone competent to use whatever system you choose. All will work in that case for what you want. So basically what I'm saying is the person doing the tune is somewhat more important then the device itself.
Ron

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I have the HD super tuner,tune her myself every time I change something..already have stage2 now and still managed to get a good tune out of it with data logging with the cables and fine tuning with additional software on top of the super tuner software that works like smart tune..
it's a great tuner for me,I'm used to it..

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I have the HD super tuner,tune her myself every time I change something..already have stage2 now and still managed to get a good tune out of it with data logging with the cables and fine tuning with additional software on top of the super tuner software that works like smart tune..
it's a great tuner for me,I'm used to it..
So you using MyTune? So do I with PV. Just seems to work better for some reason in both afr and timing .
Ron

1 - 17 of 17 Posts