Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
"A" model citizen
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so this year in the off season I'm prob. going to get a bigger tank, and I was wondering how hard they are to install, and the possible problems I will incur. I'm a fairly mechanical guy (worked on bikes since I was 11 and been a machinist/toolmaker since I was 20 and I'm 33 now). so should I attempt it myself or take it to the stealership (I like that and I've read it on here a lot):spank:

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
Get the service manual, and install the tank, plenty of step-by-step here for those that want to do it themselves...

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
Do It! No biggie.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
You're only 170 miles away. If you run into issues, I'll come down to help out.

It's not hard by any stretch of the imagination.

·
"A" model citizen
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx RJ I may get a hold of you when I do, doesnt look to hard to do but we all know looks can be deceiving lol

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,184 Posts
It is pretty easy. I didn't even have my bike jack at the time. All you need is the torque specs which are on the forum.

·
Rat_WA
21 Posts
Did mine a few months ago, idiots guide that came with it very helpful, only a couple of hours to strip down.
Took me a total of 2 days, but I had to wait for the bit of touch up spray painting to dry, and I did a few other mods to clean up the arse end while I had her apart.
If you know left from right, which you obviously do, you won't have a problem
:2cents: :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just put a Rick's tank into my '03' and it wasn't bad at all.
There are a couple of detailed threads that also give you an idea of what it takes.
It sounds like you have the same concern that I do when working on a bike - Will I screw it up?
I did mine over a weekend, taking my time and also cleaning things that normally didn't get it.
Get the right tools and you'll do fine.

·
'04 1300
3,071 Posts
You should have no trouble doing it. If you need a hand or any tools, you can give me a shout too.

·
"A" model citizen
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thx sburke

1 - 10 of 10 Posts