Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I'd rather be riding
Joined
·
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any SE owners out there going to put in one of the larger capacity tanks? I'm definitely leaning toward it due to the fact that every time I look down at my fuel indicator I lose a red dot. I must be getting less than 30 mpg the way I ride. Fuel was never an issue with any of my previous bikes, so this is unchartered territory for me. I really don't want to have to make major mods to my new bike so I'm very leary of putting in the new tank. It's my understanding the you really only have to shave off some of the existing fuel tank's flat support system, right?
 

·
Friend of Max.
Joined
·
21,719 Posts
Other than color, the frames are the same. The larger capacity tanks will fit. You don't have to cut the skid plate, you could bend it flat. Cutting it is easier, fwiw.
 

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
Joined
·
2,151 Posts
4stroker said:
Any SE owners out there going to put in one of the larger capacity tanks? I'm definitely leaning toward it due to the fact that every time I look down at my fuel indicator I lose a red dot. I must be getting less than 30 mpg the way I ride. Fuel was never an issue with any of my previous bikes, so this is unchartered territory for me. I really don't want to have to make major mods to my new bike so I'm very leary of putting in the new tank. It's my understanding the you really only have to shave off some of the existing fuel tank's flat support system, right?
I have the tank on my bike. Ricks' Tank. Easy install. I didn't bend the skit I cut it. I should have bent it. If you get the tank don't cut, that is my only regret. See my gallery.
 

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
Joined
·
2,151 Posts

·
Friend of Max.
Joined
·
21,719 Posts
dmlkm said:
I have the tank on my bike. Ricks' Tank. Easy install. I didn't bend the skit I cut it. I should have bent it. If you get the tank don't cut, that is my only regret. See my gallery.
I understand the sentiment. What would you do with the 'spider' that holds the california canister? After looking at the options, I belive cutting the skid is the most clean solution. :2cents:
 

·
What -- Me worry?
Joined
·
471 Posts
I did the UE tank on my SE2. No problems whatsoever. Regarding the cannister bracket, it's only held on with a couple spot welds. An air chisel popped it off in about 10 seconds. A little touch-up paint, flatten the skid plate and that's about it for the "mods" required.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,061 Posts
spepin said:
I did the UE tank on my SE2. No problems whatsoever. Regarding the cannister bracket, it's only held on with a couple spot welds. An air chisel popped it off in about 10 seconds. A little touch-up paint, flatten the skid plate and that's about it for the "mods" required.
:them:
 

·
Lets Ride...
Joined
·
475 Posts
I did UE's "Trick" tank also. My dealer installed and everything works great. It is such a relief to be on the road 140-150 miles between fill-ups and not have my air-head buddies P & M about having to stop every 90-100 miles so I can fill-up.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
654 Posts
Just put the UE REV A tank in my 05 SE no problems. get around 140 miles and it usually takes 4.1 gallons.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
312 Posts
I put in a UE tank and then replaced it with a Ricks tank. Either will go in without a problem. I think the tanks UE sells now are shorter than the early ones like I have so you don't have seat pan clearance issues anymore. Thats why I took mine out, didn't want to cut up my Corbin seat pan and I wanted to move the ignition switch and alarm back to the stock location.
 

·
Black on Black Crime
Joined
·
9 Posts
my pops has the larger tank on his SE. Pretty easy install, but of course the fuel guages are off now. But I was the guinea pig to test out the mileage on the bike and I was able to ride it for apporoximately 157 miles until the bike was COMPLETELY empty...died on the side of the road and a police officer actually went and got me gas (the one time a cop has ever actually helped me...no offense to any cops out there!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,150 Posts
I have a Rick's tank. (duh). It's probably the best mod I could do to the bike. I wouldn't hesitate to do this mod again.
 

·
What -- Me worry?
Joined
·
471 Posts
ellundo said:
Thats why I took mine out, didn't want to cut up my Corbin seat pan and I wanted to move the ignition switch and alarm back to the stock location.
The seat clearance issues are no more with the new tank height, and of course ignition relocation is not a thing that SE owners have to worry about -- but we do need to consider what to do with the seat release button. Like others have done, I replaced my release mechanism with a rubber grommet and RTV'd the now-dummy release button in place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
I've also got the UE Trick tank. Best mod I could have done! Easy install..... even for me, a novice working on bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
UE Tank in an 06 VRSESE2

I installed this the UE tank. Not to hard to do. The best way I found to flatten the tank pan was to block up the underside of the pan and run a 2x4 vertically through the area where the top of the tank usually is and hit the 2x4 with a hammer. It turned out nearly flat. The fuel gauge works the same and is just as accurate. The extra volume is in the top and the bottom of the tank so the gage lights disappear slower when the fuel level is at the top and bottom and about the same rate as the stock tank when the fuel level is in the middle of the tank.
I am very pleased with the UE tank and the instructions were well written. Good luck. Install one or wave as we pass you while you are filling up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
so, the seat release from an SE2 doesn't work with a UE tank? Damnit, I just ordered one from the dealer today in preparation for my new tank, guess I'm going to cancel it tomorrow...
 

·
What -- Me worry?
Joined
·
471 Posts
Nope. On my SE2, I eliminated the release mechanism and installed a rubber grommet in the hole that the seat pin goes through. The right grommet is just snug enough to hold the seat firmly closed. I took the chrome release button and RTV'd it into the pocket in the side cover.

[on edit] Oops -- just went back to the first page and realized I wrote almost the exact same thing several months ago...:banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
I have the ricks tank. With a little help it went in pretty easy. The bolts were doggone tight. Get that torx socket for the shock before you start. Bent the skid plate and had some great help grinding the california box off. Works great. The gauge is close but reads empty early. I stopped at 140 miles and put in 4.3 gals. The gauge ended at about 130.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
The good news is we have three choices (Unlimited Engineering, Rick's, and Harley) for larger fuel tanks. Has anyone installed Harley's new larger fuel tank in their 2006 SE?

If so, what are the Harley Part #s and Cost?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,980 Posts
The Harley 5 gallon fuel tank does not fit earlier models due to different Frame
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top