Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried these foot pegs and so far I really like them. I never understood why they painted the pegs and the peg "bracket" (don't know what to call it), silver. I think black would have looked much better. The "bracket" on the left side is polished aluminum which I think looks better.

So...I decided to take the right side off and polish it. I started with a Dremel and sanding disk. This made short work of removing all of the silver paint and smoothing the bumps in the aluminum. Then I used 600 grit wet sand paper followed by 1500. I didn't have time to spend working my way up in grit because I have a ride tomorrow. After the 1500, I used a polishing bob in my drill press with some aluminum polish compound. I started with black and finished with brown.

It was enough to make it look like the rest of the polished aluminum parts so I stopped and put it all back together.

I like it a lot better than the silver. All in all it took about 1 1/2 hours for everything including...oh yeah...I replaced the shifter peg.

Attachments

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Nice!, Not to be a smartass but they are on backwards. The chrome part should face towards the front.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's how I put them on the first time and thought they looked backwards. So I flipped them around. The directions, which generally suck, didn't say one way or the other. OOPS.

·
Keep up Man! Geez.
1,006 Posts
Real Nice!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have the same pegs and I put them on the way you did--as most people would say "backwards". But not for me!

The reason I put them on backwards is due to my bike being an R. I wanted the rubber portion to be on the front side of the peg so my foot wouldn't slid around. When they are put on the other models, the rubber portion serves the same purpose.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DallasV Rod said:
I have the same pegs and I put them on the way you did--as most people would say "backwards". But not for my me!

The reason I put them on backwards is due to my bike being an R. I wanted the rubber portion to be on the front side of the peg so my foot wouldn't slid around. When they are put on the other models, the rubber portion serves the same purpose.
Cool!

That is the very reason I put them on that way. I did, as stated, reverse them, however. Then I rode all day and found them to be comfortable and functional with the metal part facing the front. I'm sure you find them comfortable the other way as well.

Just goes to show you how you can be creative and modify your bike to whatever works best for you. That's true customization!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Flipped the pegs back around.

Well Dallas, I think you are right. I flipped the pegs around again. Now they are as pictured in the photos above. They are much more comfortable this way on the R.

Also, being a pilot, I like the profile. They look like wings. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts