Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm the proud owner of a new 2010 Muscle in Black Denim and new to the forum as well. Unfortunately my new bike is home in the garage and I'm 6,000 miles away in Afghanistan, having not ridden it yet. It makes for a great welcome home gift to myself and I've had plenty of time over here to consider the various mods available.

As for exhaust, I see that TAB is highly recommended on here. I'm looking for something that sounds great and throws a little more power into this already awesome bike. I was also considering the V&H 2 to 1 competition series exhaust or the Toxic V-Lux exhaust found at www.grcustoms.com I'm not crazy about the style of the V&H's but feel like I'd get the best performance out of them. The Toxic exhaust just looks plain awesome and I think matches the attitude of the bike well. Anyone have any experience or opinions of these two systems? Thanks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Would not change the dual exhaust look of the muscle, so the vh is out. I would vmod the factory, because it does look the best currently.

·
Registered
569 Posts
First off I want to thank you for your service. Imma happy Tab guy, vmod ok but pipes still too heavy! Keep stock pipes stock and sell! The reason I didn't go with the 2 into 1 was because I liked the muscle look of two pipes. As far as performance a good tuner, run topless, maybe go to stage 2 and perhaps a smaller pulley if quickness is your thing. My buddy has the v&h 2 into 1 and his numbers were not any more impressive, The only way I'd ever change my pipes to 2 into 1 is if I got a trask turbo. Otherwise I don't believe the performance gains justify changing the look of the muscle. Anyway good luck and hurry home!

·
Dances with Rain!
3,713 Posts
I have the Tabs, got them chromed and love the 2 pipe look even though I am a diehard 2:1 Fan.
But to each his own.
Thanks for your Service!
WELCOME!!
Jim

·
Registered
569 Posts
Can I see the picture of the chromed tabs?

·
07VRSCDXSUPERCHARGED
89 Posts
I installed the V&H 2:1 on my Rotrex supercharged 07' DX'. If you are going for pure peformance gain from what I've personally experienced and read on here, this is the way to go, though having a forced induction bike perhaps my results are more exagerated than would be on a naturally aspirated stock set-up. Also these will certainly give you a large weight savings over the tab slip ons/stock set up, though I'm not sure as oposed to the Toxic pipes. The V&H set up only weighs 7.5lbs! Does anyone have a number on the stock exhaust weight vs. Tab or Toxic?

I noticed you arelooking at the Toxic pipes as well so chances are you might be leaning a little toward the asthetic aspect more than performance? If that's the case I would factor in the fact that the pipes will probably discolor. I can't speak for the Tab slip ons, but I know that my V&H 2:1 in brushed stainless discolored pretty quickly, an now has that burnt orange/brown tinge to it, which I personally don't mind as I have them 1/2 wrapped in black heat shielding (They also get incredibley hot, I burnt the bottom of my pants before the heat wrap).
Here are my V&H litterally glowing red on the dyno.

And dicoloration after about a month (hasnt gotten any worse since)

(Sorry the pics are so big)

Does anyone have a picture of the Tab pipes after a few months of use? How do they discolor?

How loud are you looking to go?
The V&H 2:1 with baffle is not quite as loud or choppy as my former Rinehart 2:2 Stagger Cut's with no baffle (which are probably more akin the the sound you'll get from the Toxic) but they are definitely still quite loud, louder than the TAB slip ones will be I'd say.

I'd imagine the Toxic 2:2's with no baffle are going to loudest rawest sounding of the 3 options.(pretty sure Toxic offers optional baffles)
Then the V&H (Still loud, but not quite as loud.. and less choppy)
Then the Tab.

IMO the performance gains you'll get from changing pipes are honestly not worth the $1000 you're going to spend. If you're serious about performance spend 3-5k and turbo/SC it. Otherwise, it's a Harley, it should sound and look like a good piece of American Iron.

(I'm over here in Trashcanistan too, maybe we'll run into each other.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts