Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

I’ve been after performance wheels for my V-Rod for a while now. And I’ve noticed a few wheel and racing
threads on this forum.

Anyhow, to cut along story short, I started talking to Dymag (www.dymag.com) and it turns out that they are going to bring out a line for the V-Rod:thumb .
They have asked for input from the forum. Here is a snippet from my email:
Thanks for the information and link. Dymag will be producing wheels for the V-Rod, we just cannot agree internally as to what we should be offering. My view is that we should produce a Carbon Fibre wheel as it is the ultimate in terms of performance and durability, but some of my colleagues feel that we should offer either forged aluminum or forged magnesium.

We have just finished developing a new "chrome effect" coating that can be applied to Carbon Fibre, which means that customer's could either have the standard Carbon Fibre look, or could have the appeal of chrome with the performance of Carbon Fibre, without the worry of corrosion.

What do you think we should offer? Would you mind throwing the question open to your forum to get some feedback from potential customer's as to what they would like? Thanks for your help.
So, what should they offer?!
The reaon for this thread is to help out Dymag. Please add your :2cents, it’s great to be involved as a community in the development of our sport ! I’m not associated with them, however I would like to see more choice in the performance end of the V-rod aftermarket.

Dymag's MD Andy would appreciate feedback from the forum.

I’ve attached a pic of the current 5 spoke – trick in Carbon, could look pretty cool in chrome.

What do you think?

Thanks

Rodman:)

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Would also like to see them offer the stock wheel sizes?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I think they need to make the Carbon Fiber, Aluminum and Magnesium to give us a choice in both price and performance. The chrome coating sounds interesting. A lot of it comes down to price. If it's going to set me back $5000 to put on wheels, pulley and rotors then it's probably beyond what I can justify but if they came in around the $3000 mark for the package then I'd seriously consider them. Almost all their current designs would complement the V-Rod.

Mark

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
John,
You CANNOT Polish Magnesium and to Would be a Waste"Weight".I'm not a Metallurgist but magnesium will corrode it not coated.The chroming process might hurt it also.:confused: I would love a set of Carbons .I have the Magnesium 3 spokes on my Race Duc and there the only set I HAVEN'T BENT YET!:cool: Very good wheels and would love to Test a Set at the Track.Think it could handle a chain drive and 250 rwhp?:diablo:

Attachments

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
Rodman, I also have been doing a little research on carbon fiber rims, I would be interested in getting some sizes, prices please.
Are they going to offer a 3 spoke as well, I think I prefer that over the 5 spoke! Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Everyone,

I asked some more questions, and got a bit of a FAQ going:

Dymag V-Rod Wheel Q&A

Q: Are they strong enough for a Vrod’s weight and power? A R1 is 180 kg, a V-Rod 270 kg – is CF appropriate for such a heavy bike?
A: Yes, the lay-up will be adjusted to suit the application & tested accordingly. Our Carbon wheels have been more thoroughly tested than any other wheel range and we have just added TUV approval to the British Standard BSAU50 and Japanese standard JWL that we already had.

Q: How will the wheels compare to stock V-Rod wheels?
A: The wheels will probably weigh around 8kg/set including bearings, compared with the originals at 19kg/set and will be very strong and durable. This is a huge unsprung mass saving, which will give significant performance gains in terms of acceleration, braking efficiency and handling.

Q: How would forged and CF wheels compare? People are pretty used to forged wheels.
A: CF is much stronger and more durable as it does not corrode, does not fatigue (unlike all metals) and does not degrade under UV light. It is also significantly lighter and reduces the radius of gyration of the wheel, which improves the handling making turning quicker and easier.

Q: Which sizes would you seek to develop, stock sizes are difficult to find amongst aftermarket products. I’d say that a stock front wheel and two options for the rear, a 240 and a 180/200 rim size is desirable. Some people like fat tires, others just wanna go fast.
A: We will produce whatever sizes are popular. Your suggested sizes look good.

Q: Many forged providers in the HD world, i.e. performance machine (http://www.performancemachine.com/), weld racing, ( http://evomotorcycle.com/) RC components (http://www.rccomponents.com/harley_wheels.html) hyspeed (see www.speed-point.com) etc. provide wheels in a variety of cosmetic styles… (Although to be fair the styles that fit the V-Rod are more limited.) Will you also provide a selection of styles?
A: Again, we will produce to suit market requirements, but would probably start with our current 5-spoke carbon style. What look is popular for the V-Rod?
------------------------------------

If possible I'll try and get someone from Dymag to post on the forum. No info on Price yet.

Keep the questions coming!

Rodman

:)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Harleyvrodguy said:
Rodman, I also have been doing a little research on carbon fiber rims, I would be interested in getting some sizes, prices please.
Are they going to offer a 3 spoke as well, I think I prefer that over the 5 spoke! Thanks, Eric

Hi Eric,

I would also prefer a 3 spoke, in carbon...

My preference would be:
o Carbon 3 spoke,
o stock wheel sizes,
o removable hubs allowing me to use stock floating brakes and pulley
o Ability to upgrade to custom matching rotors/pulley later.

My bike has CF bodywork so the wheels would look trick.

Rodman

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I'd go for the CF or Mag/Aluminum 5 spoke designs.
An adaptor to utilize the Cush drive
An adaptor to utilize the existing floating rotors, possibly a center section/adaptor our rotors can connect to since they bolt to the rims now.

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
it seems the PM wrath wheels are getting pretty popular for most v-rodders who have chosen aftermarket wheels.
i for one would not buy a carbon fiber wheel
mainly reason number 1 . carbon fiber is very pricey, so unless money is no object for you or you plan on racing the bike...............
i would like to see more polished aluminum or chrome choices at a decent price .:2cents

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Shawn,
Not to be rude but I think the Market Dymag is after is not really concerned about the Price!:rolleyes: They are a High End Racing Wheel company so I doubt they're gonna change that Images for Us.;)

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Actually, checking prices on some UK websites the Dymags seem to be pretty reasonable unless the dollar goes even lower against the euro :(

~ $1000 for the mags and ~$2000 - $2500 for the CF.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was surprised by the weight saving compared to stock wheels. Wonder what it feels like to ride a bike with such light wheels.

Is anyone interested in rims that handle 240 tires? Do you prefer stock tire sizes?

Rodman

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
How about 17 inchers so we can run Race Rubber!:diablo:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SuperKaz,
When I started looking for wheels I got to the point where it looked like modified 17 inch wheels were my only choice....

What effect would a 17 inch wheel have on the V-Rod's ground clearance? Hmmm but then again you do most of your V-Rod speed in a straight line! :D

I'm guessing that Dymag could probably provide their current linup in 17 inch front and back pretty easily. You would want typical superbike rims, so the only issues would be axle, rotors, and pulleys... a few spacers and your on your way!;)

Rodman

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
rodman said:
SuperKaz,
When I started looking for wheels I got to the point where it looked like modified 17 inch wheels were my only choice....

What effect would a 17 inch wheel have on the V-Rod's ground clearance? Hmmm but then again you do most of your V-Rod speed in a straight line! :D

I'm guessing that Dymag could probably provide their current linup in 17 inch front and back pretty easily. You would want typical superbike rims, so the only issues would be axle, rotors, and pulleys... a few spacers and your on your way!;)

Rodman
Thanks for the great input Rodman, I would like to probably stay the same on front...............I'm still contemplating weather to go with the 18x5.5. or the 8.5 for the 240 tire. I assume if this is incorrect............some one will point it out for me:biker:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It really comes down to what you want to do with you Bike. I can't speak for anyone else, so here's what I want to do with mine.

“Be nimble Be Quick”

yep - Been riding a Road King for too long: time to rock-it.

So for me there's no debate, the 240 would slow me down (it's heavier, and 180/200 provides more than enough traction. And a 180 is easier to turn, the Dunlop profile is real pointy!

Now I've got friends who wanna cruise, lay back, the 240 is definitely more laughs, people love em: big ostentatious, attitude... Downright belligerent!

Whatever floats your boat... (mine's a speed boat;) )

I would contact Dymag. Let them know what you think, honestly, they need our help if they are going to engineer the product that we want. I’d hope that they offer a 240 and stock rim option. I suggested this to them (see earlier post) however your overall opinion is just as valuable to them.

Rodman

1 - 20 of 25 Posts