Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
Joined
·
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D I just got some really nice and reasonably priced bags to work fine with my v-mod saddle bag supports. They are CORTECH brand. Made of 1680 Denier ballistic nylon. Quite spacious and nice looking. Perfect colors (silver and black). Uses a soft rubber strap to throw over fender (under rear nylon strap) to protect rear fender skin. After the initial fit and adjustments; it only takes about 10 minutes to put them on or take them off. The super-reflective trim on rear and sides is veerry bright when light hit it!! Here's a few photos.
redrazor
 

Attachments

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
Joined
·
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry, I compressed photos to very small size: I guess I don't know how to post multiple pics yet. here's another.
 

Attachments

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
Joined
·
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....(1) lasts photo. I paid $135.00 at Cycle Gear with my 10% off coupon yesterday. So.....pretty reasonable.
 

Attachments

·
Riding around
Joined
·
7,736 Posts
They look MUCH more functional than the ridiculous HD leather things I paid an arm and a leg for!
 

·
Have Gun Will Travel
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
finally, a reasonable alternative

go figure, I just won a set of hard bags off ebay

timing is everything
 

·
speeding safely
Joined
·
499 Posts
larry,
You'll enjoy the hard bags. They're waterproof, open with a push of a button, lockable, and look much nicer on the bike than ballistic nylon. The Cortech bags look great for $135, but methinks that they're only good for intermittent use. After a year or two they will fade, sag, the zippers will break, hard to clean, etc. Yeah, the HD bags aren't very big, but they're a pleasure to use (and clean!).
 

·
Yeah, but what if...
Joined
·
4,714 Posts
Nice and big, but despite the size of the HD hard bags, I still think they look the best. If I ever need more for a particular trip, I will get one of those Backpack looking things, like the t bag line.
 

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
Joined
·
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree that the HD bags look the best...especially the semi-hard
leather covered ones; but I just wanted a decent pair to throw on for longer trips -- maybe 4 or 5 times a year. Overnighters.
The ease of application of these is a nice part too. They are big enough to put a spare half helmet in, plus mucho clothe, tools and accesories. I leave a nice little "camera bag bungied on the rear seat pillion for every day riding. Keeps my ear plugs, shades, and a few small tools for emergencies. Also have a 9" leaather tool bag hanging at the lower part of my radiator cover. I strapped it through (4) 1 inch slots I cut in the black plastic, between the lower chrome edges of the air intakes. Doesn't scrape, and holds quite a few tools. As for the CORTECH bags: For $135, I'm a happy camper!:biker:
 

·
Have Gun Will Travel
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
I agree that the hard bags are the way to go. It is just funny that I have been looking so long for a subsistute and as soon as I win an auction, one appears.

I can't complain though. The auction ended at 455. One of the shocks needs to reattached and the keys are missing but I figure that for the price, I did good. The key replacement should be a dealer item and the shock will be a little ingenuity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
What model are your cortech's?

redrazor said:
I agree that the HD bags look the best...especially the semi-hard
leather covered ones; but I just wanted a decent pair to throw on for longer trips -- maybe 4 or 5 times a year. Overnighters.
The ease of application of these is a nice part too. They are big enough to put a spare half helmet in, plus mucho clothe, tools and accesories. I leave a nice little "camera bag bungied on the rear seat pillion for every day riding. Keeps my ear plugs, shades, and a few small tools for emergencies. Also have a 9" leaather tool bag hanging at the lower part of my radiator cover. I strapped it through (4) 1 inch slots I cut in the black plastic, between the lower chrome edges of the air intakes. Doesn't scrape, and holds quite a few tools. As for the CORTECH bags: For $135, I'm a happy camper!:biker:
Also, did you need a support to keep them off the wheel? thanks, Fred :icon_mrgr
 

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
Joined
·
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fryguy:
My new bags have a part number of 82-416. Dimentions are: 8.5"H x 11"W x 14.5"L
I don't think they'd work without the bag support brackets. They would definitely get to rubbing on the wheel and/or brake rotor. The brackets look so cool (to me) that I leave em on; even without the bags. good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Interferance with the Pac Rak or back rest

redrazor said:
fryguy:
My new bags have a part number of 82-416. Dimentions are: 8.5"H x 11"W x 14.5"L
I don't think they'd work without the bag support brackets. They would definitely get to rubbing on the wheel and/or brake rotor. The brackets look so cool (to me) that I leave em on; even without the bags. good luck
G'day REDRAZOR.
Re the bags, do you think the rear strap would work with the pac rac?
It looks like it would be a problem.
Any comments?
Best wishes.

Ken.
Bugger, can't find the "cheers" smilely thingy any more!
:460:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Where did you get the bag supports??

redrazor said:
fryguy:
My new bags have a part number of 82-416. Dimentions are: 8.5"H x 11"W x 14.5"L
I don't think they'd work without the bag support brackets. They would definitely get to rubbing on the wheel and/or brake rotor. The brackets look so cool (to me) that I leave em on; even without the bags. good luck
Hi redrazor, Thanks for the reply! Now, where did you get the supports? Thanks, Fred :teu26 :laugh:
 

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
Joined
·
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fryguy:
I ordered the bag supports from Chopper Steve at the www.v-mod.com web site. The are pictured and priced under the "luggage" icon at the bottom of their web site. It took about 10 or 12 days for them to get here, but well worth it. They are top quality craftsmenship all around; good construction, very good chrome application, and easy to install. I think they were about $95. good luck
 

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
Joined
·
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ken said:
G'day REDRAZOR.
Re the bags, do you think the rear strap would work with the pac rac?
It looks like it would be a problem.
Any comments?
Best wishes.

Ken.
Bugger, can't find the "cheers" smilely thingy any more!
:460:
Ken: I don't think there would be any problems with any of the included straps. They are very versatile; I just got lazy with the ones on the back side, and put them accross the license plate; under the tail light. There's all kinds of ways to secure them on your bike, once they go over the fender and lay against the bag supports. :2cents
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,929 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
How easy to uninstall and install brackets??????????

redrazor said:
Fryguy:
I ordered the bag supports from Chopper Steve at the www.v-mod.com web site. The are pictured and priced under the "luggage" icon at the bottom of their web site. It took about 10 or 12 days for them to get here, but well worth it. They are top quality craftsmenship all around; good construction, very good chrome application, and easy to install. I think they were about $95. good luck
One more ??? thanks for your replies! Fred :biker:
 

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
Joined
·
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fryguy:
It only took me about 3/4 hour to do the whole job. You take off one of the seat strap bolts; take out the one rear seat bolt and remove the rear seat; take off the turn signal/lean-angle electrical unit; remove a few bolts holding the fender "skin", then remove the skin. The kit gives you (4) new fasteners to replace (4) stock bolts that are on the sides of the main fender brace. These fasteners hold on the new saddlebag supports. Then you just put it all back together and enjoy! good luck
redrazor
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top