Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I bought new relays since one of mine was bad. Fans still do not spin when i pull and replace the maxifuse. Fans do run when i jump them. Is the next step to test the ECM? where is that and what does it look like? If its not that do i replace the temp sensor? Why else would my fans not come on?
Fans are triggered to come on when the engine temp sensor reaches a certain resistance. This resistance is related to engine temp and a search on the forum will bring up what resistance the sensor should have per temp for checking it. It usually falls into a range of 217* for fans on and 208* for fans to turn off. If that is normal, and wiring is good all over the only thing that will cause them to not come on is the ECM. The ECM provides a ground in the circuit to start the fans.
Ron

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Rbabos,

by overheat light comes on so the fans are not coming on at all. Where is the ECM, what does it look like and how to I test it?

thanks

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Rbabos,

by overheat light comes on so the fans are not coming on at all. Where is the ECM, what does it look like and how to I test it?

thanks
Sorry, don't have the E manual for your year. Stever should be along with info you need regarding color and pin number in the plug. Basially you take the fan ground at the ECM and run it direct to ground. If the fans start up, the ECM is failing to provide the ground.
Ron

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Rbabos,

thanks
Pin 2 from the ECM is Red/White and runs from the ECM to the fan relay. ECM provides ground to this wire at the correct temp. If you apply a ground to this direct and the fans start up then the circuit must be ok. If not make sure the Red/Orange wire from the Battery fuse to the fan relay has 12v

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I got to the ECM. Where is pin 2? What is the orange connector for at the lower left of the picture that is not plugged into anything?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I got to the ECM. Where is pin 2? What is the orange connector for at the lower left of the picture that is not plugged into anything?
Wouldn't worry about the orange plug. There are often spare plugs for various accessories like alarms etc.
If you open the ECM plug you will see the pin numbers. Will look something like this.
ECM.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
How exactly do I run a ground wire. Do I take the plug out or the EMC then just touch a wire from the pin in the EMC to something metal? Should the fan start right up?

if it doesn't start up or does what does that mean?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
How exactly do I run a ground wire. Do I take the plug out or the EMC then just touch a wire from the pin in the EMC to something metal? Should the fan start right up?

if it doesn't start up or does what does that mean?
Remove the plug from the ECM, open it and remove pin 2 (white/red wire) Reconnect plug to ECM. Turn on ignition then connect a wire from ground to the White/Red wire. If the fans power up then the circuit is good and you need to find out why the ECM isn't giving the signal. (possibly faulty ECM) If the fans don't power up then you need to start checking for voltages at the fan relay (although you should already have done this as it is simpler) You should have two +12v feeds at the fan relay (connections 30 and 85 on relay, red/orange wires) fed from the battery fuse.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I bought new relays since one of mine was bad. Fans still do not spin when i pull and replace the maxifuse. Fans do run when i jump them. Is the next step to test the ECM? where is that and what does it look like? If its not that do i replace the temp sensor? Why else would my fans not come on?
If you still have problems please explain your process of "Fans do run when i jump them"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out but this is confusing me.
I don't see how to pull the white/red wire out. is there a release?

I'm not sure how to check the voltage. I wish there was a video.

with my original fans the top one stopped working, then the bottom stopped.
When I jumped them the top would not work and the bottom would so i ran a manual switch so I could turn it on whenever I thought it was need. Then that stopped working so I put in new fans and now have this problem. Very frustrating. I hope I dont have to bring it to the shop.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out but this is confusing me.
I don't see how to pull the white/red wire out. is there a release?

I'm not sure how to check the voltage. I wish there was a video.

with my original fans the top one stopped working, then the bottom stopped.
When I jumped them the top would not work and the bottom would so i ran a manual switch so I could turn it on whenever I thought it was need. Then that stopped working so I put in new fans and now have this problem. Very frustrating. I hope I dont have to bring it to the shop.
Start at the beginning. First check the the battery fuse. Next check that the fan relay has 2 pins with power (both red/orange wires going to relay contacts 30 and 85). If all is good up to now, if you put a ground to relay contact 86 and the relay should click and the fans should run. If the fans don't run you need to trace wire from relay contact 87 (yellow/brown wire) to the 2 fans and ensure continuity and make sure the 2 black wires from the fans have good grounds.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I don't see how to release the wire. I don't know how to check the voltage. I can usually figure things out but note too good with electrical problems.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I don't see how to release the wire. I don't know how to check the voltage. I can usually figure things out but note too good with electrical problems.
If you follow my last post you don't need to release the wire. Finding an electrical fault is a very methodical process. Confirm all the other things are correct first. To measure the voltage you will need a voltmeter with the negative lead connected to ground and the positive lead to each point in turn stated in the last post.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
ok, I didt see that my post before the last one went thru so I sent another quick one. I'll see what I can figure out. Thanks a lot for your help. I'll let you know how its going

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Above were you asked to explain "fans run when I jump them", I unplugged the fans and ran wires from the fan plug to the battery and the fans come on. So I know the fans are good.

My fan fuse is good. The relay is good. I swap the fan and starter relay and the bike starts with both. I went to get two new ones anyway but HD only had one. So i now have a new one also.

I still dont see how to pull our the white/red wire from the EMC.

I dont know what to do with this --> Next check that the fan relay has 2 pins with power (both red/orange wires going to relay contacts 30 and 85). If all is good up to now, if you put a ground to relay contact 86 and the relay should click and the fans should run. If the fans don't run you need to trace wire from relay contact 87 (yellow/brown wire) to the 2 fans and ensure continuity and make sure the 2 black wires from the fans have good grounds.

I guess i need the "for dummies" version.

Since its getting cooler now, I might just put it all back together and deal with it during the winter.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Above were you asked to explain "fans run when I jump them", I unplugged the fans and ran wires from the fan plug to the battery and the fans come on. So I know the fans are good.

My fan fuse is good. The relay is good. I swap the fan and starter relay and the bike starts with both. I went to get two new ones anyway but HD only had one. So i now have a new one also.

I still dont see how to pull our the white/red wire from the EMC.

I dont know what to do with this --> Next check that the fan relay has 2 pins with power (both red/orange wires going to relay contacts 30 and 85). If all is good up to now, if you put a ground to relay contact 86 and the relay should click and the fans should run. If the fans don't run you need to trace wire from relay contact 87 (yellow/brown wire) to the 2 fans and ensure continuity and make sure the 2 black wires from the fans have good grounds.

I guess i need the "for dummies" version.

Since its getting cooler now, I might just put it all back together and deal with it during the winter.
If you look at the wires going to the fan relay, there are 2 of them that are red/orange. With the negative wire of the multimeter to ground and the positive meter wire to each of these wires you should see +12v with the ignition on. If this is correct then take a wire from ground and touch it to the white/red wire that goes to the fan relay. If all is good the fans should spin.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Do I just touch the multimeter wire to the rubber on the wire from the back of the group of wires where the fan relay is? or is there metal there i should touch. I couldn't tell what red/orange. there are two wire loops and a straight wire that looks red orange. I touched the lead to all of them and the other lead to the ground. To ground I just touch something metal on the bike, right? doing all that nothing happened on the multimeter.
not sure if I did it correctly.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Do I just touch the multimeter wire to the rubber on the wire from the back of the group of wires where the fan relay is? or is there metal there i should touch. I couldn't tell what red/orange. there are two wire loops and a straight wire that looks red orange. I touched the lead to all of them and the other lead to the ground. To ground I just touch something metal on the bike, right? doing all that nothing happened on the multimeter.
not sure if I did it correctly.
To be honest, if you don't know how to use a multimeter then you really should be taking the bike to an auto-electrician.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts