Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Appears I have found my leak. It doesn't leak much and only a drop or two ends up on the right side of the frame.

Anyone know anything about this kind of leak? What causes it? It appears to be the cap and have to order the whole unit to get a new cap. I'll try cleaning it up and see what happens.

Bike has not gotten hot lately and has leaked for a couple months now. This bottle was installed by me over a year ago. Coolant level is right on.

Attachments

·
Freedom
614 Posts
Strange that it would leak from the rubber cap if it is snapped on completely unless there is a pressure buildup in the bottle that can't be relieved through the overflow hose. Have you made sure that the overflow hose from the top of the bottle is not plugged or kinked?

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fly said:
Strange that it would leak from the rubber cap if it is snapped on completely unless there is a pressure buildup in the bottle that can't be relieved through the overflow hose. Have you made sure that the overflow hose from the top of the bottle is not plugged or kinked?
Good point. I'll check that.

Nope wasn't it. Air flows freely from/into bottle and also into radiator.

Just to insure I'm correct in the hose routing ...top goes to top of radiator...bottom to radiator cap by the seat

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
ihringert said:
... Just to insure I'm correct in the hose routing ...top goes to top of radiator...bottom to radiator cap by the seat
Yes, that's the correct routing. If your hoses are plumbed correctly the bottle should never see a positive pressure. Only fluid should flow in the lower hose (either to or from the radiator.) The upper hose is a vent to atmosphere that will dump any fluid if the bottle is over filled, but normally only sees air flow (either in or out of the bottle.)

In order for this system to work properly the cooling system needs to be purged of all air (and have no leaks), the radiator cap pressure relief valve needs to seal and open correctly, and the port underneath the radiator cap that feeds the overflow bottle needs to be clear.

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stever975 said:
Yes, that's the correct routing. If your hoses are plumbed correctly the bottle should never see a positive pressure. Only fluid should flow in the lower hose (either to or from the radiator.) The upper hose is a vent to atmosphere that will dump any fluid if the bottle is over filled, but normally only sees air flow (either in or out of the bottle.)

In order for this system to work properly the cooling system needs to be purged of all air (and have no leaks), the radiator cap pressure relief valve needs to seal and open correctly, and the port underneath the radiator cap that feeds the overflow bottle needs to be clear.
Thanks Steve. I'm still thinking it is just a bad seal on the coolant bottle cap and I can't buy a new cap w/o buying a whole coolant bottle.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
I had the same leak with my new bottle....I smeared a little clear silicone sealant around the cap opening, poped on the top and not one leak since.

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mustanggt said:
I had the same leak with my new bottle....I smeared a little clear silicone sealant around the cap opening, poped on the top and not one leak since.
:thumb: I'll give it a try....thanks

·
OH MY V-ROD!
89 Posts
coolant leak

I have the same leak out of the coolant bottle cap. I think I'm going to try teflon tape around the lip of the tank.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
zimmy said:
I have the same leak out of the coolant bottle cap. I think I'm going to try teflon tape around the lip of the tank.

I tried that first, still leaked.......

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
My bike was doing the same thing. I had a plastic cap on the reservoir. Dealer put a new bottle on under warranty that has a soft rubber cap. I'm guessing the Motor CO realized a problem. So far no leaks, but I'll see,

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Uncle Fester said:
My bike was doing the same thing. I had a plastic cap on the reservoir. Dealer put a new bottle on under warranty that has a soft rubber cap. I'm guessing the Motor CO realized a problem. So far no leaks, but I'll see,
It is the soft rubber cap that is leaking. I sanded the top of the bottle to make it very smooth where the cap seats. Haven't noticed leaks yet but only have a couple hundred miles on since I did this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts