Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered one of the chrome clamshells for my 03 this last summer, I put it on around the middle of August. put my windshield back on. I only rode the bike 2 maybe 3 times in town, with the windscreen on. I had to leave town for the rest of the summer, after returning home went into my shop to clean the bike, oil change, cover the bike etc for storage. I took my windshield off washed the bike, while I was drying it, I noticed some smudge marks on the clamshell?? It looks kind of like when a bug smacks it. I grabbed some bug and tar remover- nothing happened, then tried to buff it out with scratch remover-nothing. It wont come off. Shouldn't this thing be more durable than that? I am wondering if the thing wasn't prepped right before it was chromed and it's starting to show?? I hope it doesn't get worse. I was wondering how many people have chrome clamshells and if they have had any problems?? Maybe I should have just taken mine into the chrome shop.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Could be imperfections in the chrome or just bug residue that is atad tougher to clean off.

One of my favorite all purpose cleaners for bugs and tar is a Stoner product called "Tarminator".It will remove about anything you want with harm to the paint or finish and is great for those hard to remove bugs,tar or decal residue.

Once you have it clean use a good billet polish(I personally like Mothers new Billet polish)and use micro-fiber towels to ensure that scratching will not happen.The reason you use polish instead of wax on chrome is it allows it to breath and with help preserve the finish.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
You sure it aint paint?
I had some products painted w chrome paint.They did look good til one day I walked out and the paint had started fading and I could see the yellow primer right through it.

·
ramma jamma
687 Posts
get a refund, strip ur oe down & polish away! plenty of time to get it done between rides nowadays.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to the guy via email a couple of times, just tells me that something must of rubbed on it.(what the wind) doesn't seem to care. you think customer satisfaction would mean something, I can see it if i were doing something stupid like trying to wipe dirt off of it with a dry paper towel, but I take pride and care, I'm the one you see in the parking lot pulling my California duster out. I bought a couple chrome radiator covers(also expensive) from the same place, those are doing ok but the clamshell looks like crap

1 - 6 of 6 Posts