Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we have talked about this before and debated if it would ever happen in California. It did.

The terminator signed bill SB435 into law. The brief article in the LA times mentions this allows police to cite motorcyle owners if they remove federally required emissions-control equipment such as catalytic converter.

A quote in the article stated, "Our motorcyel-riding governor clearly recognizes that a few bad apples on our roads are infringing on the rights of others with their illegal, attention-seeking loud pipes"

This law was written by Senator Fran Pavley from Agoura Hills California.

Now I need to find out what exactly this means. This may make it a requirement to have that EPA stamp that is only on stock exhausts. I will have to research this a bit more.

Some may want to locate their stock exhausts in case there is strick enforcement. The few ruined it for everyone, which is normally the case.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
The HD Stamp on my OEM V-Mods have saved me from a Ticket 2 times.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember. Keep that stamp. Here is some more information.

Motorcycles or exhaust systems manufactured after January 1, 2013 must comply. First time offenders may be fined $50 to $100, which a Judge may dismiss with proof of correction.

There is a bit of time put into this legislation before it takes effect. The aftermarket will have to adjust to comply or loose some sales.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I don't think so. The requirement is that the exhaust system must display a label showing they meet the noise limits.

It mimicks a federal law.

If the aftermarket develops exhausts, whether full or slip on, and they pass the test to meet these noise limits and carry the required emissions equipment, they can put on that mandated label and be O.K.

That is my interpretation. Now the big question is will law enforcement strickly enforce it.

I think they may due to this becoming a hot topic in general that keeps on coming back into the spot light.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Aren't the stock pipes about as loud as the law allows?

Edit: This would appear to be pivotal sentence.
SB. 435 would make it illegal for motorcycles built after Jan. 1, 2013 to use exhaust systems that don't meet federal sound emission standards.

It's a non issue for older bikes.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
ha. fran pavley was the chairman of the local school board where i grew up. she was a b***h then too.

·
Vrodder since 2004
4,514 Posts
Law enforcement seems to be enforcing alot of things lately. Ever just feel like you are being 'watched'? Just found out that my city actually has 'undercover traffic cops' YES, they sit near populated intersections in unmarked vehicles and actually radio out to other cops which cars/bikes to pull over...we are no longer a free society by any means.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Law enforcement seems to be enforcing alot of things lately. Ever just feel like you are being 'watched'? Just found out that my city actually has 'undercover traffic cops' YES, they sit near populated intersections in unmarked vehicles and actually radio out to other cops which cars/bikes to pull over...we are no longer a free society by any means.
It's all about the money. Traffic fines bring in big bucks, every city in the land of fruits and nuts is broke. Cause and effect are apparent.

·
Registered
266 Posts
You just found out about unmarked police cars?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Aren't the stock pipes about as loud as the law allows?

_____________________-
I think it depends. Some are louder than others. Some may be right at the limit while others are somewhere below the limit.

I think this may deter people from buying aftermarket pipes as they will be very close to the stock pipes in weight and noise. Technology has advanced to a point where new motorcycles with their exhausts are about as efficient as possible in terms of horsepower, torque etc... They can easily make them as loud as the law allows.

The aftermarket will have a hard time getting people to spend money on their legal exhausts, which really will no longer be that much different.

It may be a big hit for them. There will always be those buyers that purchase and use "off road only" exhausts and gamble. If they get a ticket, I suppose they can put back on their stock exhaust for court case purposes.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
What if it's a Mexican bike?
Then they (the taxpayers) will pay for its check-ups, maintenance, fuel, storage facility, and even provide for its transportation (towing) should there be the need. But it will be illegal to request the origin of the bike by any law enforcement agent in a routine traffic stop.

·
RIP Jerry
956 Posts
This last paragraph is too much.

Transportation Share Would the T-101 have abided by a motorcycle noise reduction bill? ​California doesn't have a budget, but it may soon have quieter choppers.
A bill aimed at cutting down the din of motorcycles passed out of the state Senate yesterday. If Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger -- who owns more than a few motorcycles and famously rode one around on film -- signs AB 435, it would require motorcycles sold in this state after Jan. 1, 2013 to display and maintain noise-reduction labels from the Environmental Protection Agency.
This bill, interestingly, started out as a measure to enforce state-mandated motorcycle smog checks. But, over the course of eight rounds of amendments, it evolved from an emissions bill to a noise emissions bill.
Incidentally, the state vehicle code already sets limits on how loud a motorcycle may be (86 decibels, tops). And the San Francisco Police periodically crack down on cyclists who have altered their rides to emit roars of 95 decibels or more.
Hopefully no Oakland cops motor over here -- the Oakland Police Department made headlines in 2008 when it adjusted its fleet of Harley-Davidsons to run louder out of so-called safety concerns. But at 93 decibels, it would appear the boys in blue blurred the line between safety and illegality -- let alone deafness.

·
Vrodder since 2004
4,514 Posts
Now thats funny...
Actually its not that funny.

As for just finding out about unmarked cars...its the application of their mission I think is absurd. I thought they were primarily used in DEA investigations and such. Not for the average folk maybe changing lanes at the last minute - only to get nailed for a fine because the unmarked car spotted it....how much money do you think it costs to place that car and its crew on the street? They must expect to write alot of traffic violations...

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
Most of our Traffic Enforcement here is done by unmarked cars. I happened to get nailed 2 months ago for speeding. Luckily the cop liked my bike and the fat tire and he let me go with a minimal fine.. :D

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
What do y'all think will happen when I get stopped on my Heritage that is designated for Export? The VIN starts w 5HD5,not 1HD1 and HD will not give me a country of origin certificate.
Will the motorcycle be taken and stored in a compound?
Will the motorcycles held in foreign countrys w the VIN starting 1HD1 be used as bargaining chips?
Will I need an attorney,or will one be appointed?
Who will be responsible for the maintenance and up keep of the vehicle while it is held captive?
Can I bring it a quart or 2 of select oil each visiting time,or does it have to have jail oil?

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Actually its not that funny.

As for just finding out about unmarked cars...its the application of their mission I think is absurd. I thought they were primarily used in DEA investigations and such. Not for the average folk maybe changing lanes at the last minute - only to get nailed for a fine because the unmarked car spotted it....how much money do you think it costs to place that car and its crew on the street? They must expect to write alot of traffic violations...
We've been doing that in Milwaukee since the 80's. CHP has done it for years... you just haven't noticed because you haven't been pulled over.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts