Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK new bike (well new to us) actually it's my wife's. 2007 VRSCDX delivered yesterday. Had it out yesterday afternoon and last night. Now I have a few questions. The mirrors (which I believe are stock) suck. All you can see is your arms, you really can't see much behind you. Is there an easy way to extend them out or are replacement mirrors the answer? The shocks! The ones on the bike are made by "Works"? I wonder if these are shorter then stock or if put on for a better ride? when the bike is shut off it makes a noise like the starter is going back in? Does it stay out when running or is this a different noise?

This bike felt very ackward to me when I got on it yesterday. I currently drive an 09 Softail Custom. I've had many different bikes in my 40 years of riding but none like this. I hated it in the begining and in my mind I'm saying I won't be riding this bike too much. But, after driving it for a few miles. I like it. The mid controls take some getting use to, I feel scrunched up, even at 5'6".

Now my wife has to get out and get use to it, coming from a Nightster this is a big difference for her also. She's only been driving a year. Getting out later today, supposed to hit 73. :)

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Some people flip the mirrors so they are under the bars (you put the left one on the rigth side but upside down and vice versa) just be careful that you position them so they don't hit the airbox with the frontend fully turned. I prefer Joker bar-end mirrors though. They are a much cleaner look and work perfectly in my opinion. The started should not be staying engaged. A simple check would be to start the bike and then pull one of the wires off the starter solenoid, if the noise goes away then you have a problem (the solenoid is located on the left hand frame rail behind the radiator and in front of the oil dipstick on the engine).

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Bryan do you think this might be the fan running for a bit after they shut the bike off?

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
... The shocks! The ones on the bike are made by "Works"? I wonder if these are shorter then stock or if put on for a better ride? Dunno if they're shorter than stock or not but "WORKS" shocks are some quality, pricey gear.

when the bike is shut off it makes a noise like the starter is going back in? Does it stay out when running or is this a different noise?Gonna go along with patm on this - sounds like it's probably the fans running.

... The mid controls take some getting use to, I feel scrunched up, even at 5'6". Sounds like you've got a "D" instead of a "DX"

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Harley make a 2" extension to lift the mirror to a much better position. If the starter remained engaged it would spin to destruction. Fan noise I would agree. Mids are a change from standard Harley stuff. I have them and like them. I'm 5'10". I do use the highway pegs at times, but added a small screw so the peg has a slight angle back. I have also moved the horn as it pushed on the side of my knee.

I had never ridden a Vrod till I picked up mine. The first 20 miles were strange and had me thinking "what did I do?" But I was a 1,000 miles from home and all was paid for.......so get to riding!

We are very happy with each other!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think it's the fan, it's more of a clunk noise. Very quick and happens a split second after shut off.

It is a DX for sure. Prior owner installed a set of $1,300. Rizoma mid controls on it. We went out yesterday.My wife seems to be doing pretty good on it. If someone could help me through it I'd post pictures other then the avitar. Maybe my pictures are to large?

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
The rod has a total different rake and trail then what your used too on the airheads :)... It takes some getting used too but once you've put some miles on, you'll like how she handles... If you think corner, the bike will dive into it :)... The next thing you will encounter is once you get used to it will be the first time you hit the pegs in the corner :)... I don't care how many times it has happened to me, it still gives me a wake up call when they hit :)...

Not sure what your hearing so can't give you any opinions on that part... If your wife is going from a Nightster to a V-Rod, she'll love it after she gets used to it... It weighs approximately the same and if you have Works shocks on the back then you got a nice set of shocks to run on...

On my 05, I went to drag bars so the mirrors were not a problem... You've already been given suggestions on how to fix that part... You picked an excellent bike for your wife... Congrats!!

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
My dx has allways made a noise like that on shutdown still doing it 22000 miles later,stopped worrying about it.

·
Noel
4,598 Posts
Not there to hear the noise,but I think it's just the normal sound of the starter sprag.
Both of mine make it.
:them:

After 40 years on old IRON, your & the Lil-ladies ears will soon become accustomed to the normal sounds of REVO engine, enjoy chasing her :jeannie:

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
This bike felt very ackward to me when I got on it yesterday. I currently drive an 09 Softail Custom. I've had many different bikes in my 40 years of riding but none like this. I hated it in the begining and in my mind I'm saying I won't be riding this bike too much. But, after driving it for a few miles. I like it. The mid controls take some getting use to, I feel scrunched up, even at 5'6".

Now my wife has to get out and get use to it, coming from a Nightster this is a big difference for her also. She's only been driving a year. Getting out later today, supposed to hit 73. :)
It has a long wheel base and a 33 degree - or so - rake, this will take getting used to, cornering, twisties and sharp turns will be a bit different, but once you figure out what this bike needs from you, you'll love it and the power will make you forget about your air-cooled!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts