Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...it's been a while!

Got a question...a buddy of mine with an 03B replaced his battery and he has told me that the performance increase was substantial/very noticeable. Others on the forum have indicated the same but I can't find threads explaining why.

It's time for a new battery on my V so, I went into the SM looking at wiring diagrams trying to see the connection between the ignition system and this supposed "better performance". I'm not seeing where the performance gain could come from electrically as I assume the battery kicks out once the bike is running.

I can say this unquestionably. My battery is 6 years old. The bike definately doesn't turn over as strong as it used to and I do think my performance is taking a hit since I've lost a little bit of the snappy throttle response. Not dramatic...but it's noticeable to me.

So, what do you think? Where's this performance gain coming from when a new battery is put on the bike?

Thanks!
BillyD

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
There was no 03 B model. I am not really sure as to why a new battery would help with performance. If I am correct the battery is for the most part only used towards engine power at the start up (not positive on that one). Please post up these threads of proven performance gain with a battery replacement.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
short and sweet explanation, these engines do not respond well to low, incorrect, or sporadic voltages.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Well two things here first and most is the draw that a alt puts on the motor to keep a battery at peak for max performace. So Yes I can see a performance increace with a fresh battery. Less amps used to keep battery at the regulators full volatage equals more HP. On a little sruggling 4cylinder car motor ever turn on the lights at idle and have the motor bog down? Same thing here.
Two a weak battery can overwork things like the alt, starter and if the alt is set cutting charge off at a certian voltage you may not be at peak.
I have seem alts struggle to bring a weak battery up to proper voltage. One car the alt tested weak and with the weak battery the charging volts were a wimpy 13.1 volt just 4 tenths over a fully charged battery. A new batterty in the car (static volts on the old one was 12.2) the alt started chargeing at 13.9. Now the amp test was showing 90amp on the weak battery and only 19 on the ALt was rated at 105. So yes I can see a fully charged battery add performance.

·
Noel
4,613 Posts
Well two things here first and most is the draw that a alt puts on the motor to keep a battery at peak for max performace. So Yes I can see a performance increace with a fresh battery. Less amps used to keep battery at the regulators full volatage equals more HP. On a little sruggling 4cylinder car motor ever turn on the lights at idle and have the motor bog down? Same thing here.
Two a weak battery can overwork things like the alt, starter and if the alt is set cutting charge off at a certian voltage you may not be at peak.
I have seem alts struggle to bring a weak battery up to proper voltage. One car the alt tested weak and with the weak battery the charging volts were a wimpy 13.1 volt just 4 tenths over a fully charged battery. A new batterty in the car (static volts on the old one was 12.2) the alt started chargeing at 13.9. Now the amp test was showing 90amp on the weak battery and only 19 on the ALt was rated at 105. So yes I can see a fully charged battery add performance.
:them:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that makes perfect sense and I thank you for the explanation!

Ride safe...
BillyD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts