Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having clutch problems in my 1550 cvo. It wouldn't fully disengage at stop lights and it would slip, especially in high gear from 90 mph and up, when all the ponys are being called on. I was running the extra plate Barnett so I called Barnett for some suggestions. I have found Barnett customer service to be a model I wish all companies would adopt, very good. I asked to speak to the guy whose name started with an "M", I couldn't remember if the guy I spoke to last time was Mike or Mark but he was very helpful and knowledgeable so I wanted to speak to him again. Turns out Mike is the company president and also a fellow V-Rodder and forum member. He told me about the new V-Rod clutches they're running on the AHDRA V-Rods. They are 2 and 3 extra plate clutches with a friction material that's new, it's not kevlar or carbon fiber. It's red and has breaks in it every inch or two to aid in disengaging. He said he'd put one togeather for me and three days later I'm all smiles. He also sent me a set of red springs (100#). With the new plates and new springs both of my clutch problems are gone. Even with the red springs the release pressure required is less than my softail (Rivera Pro Clutch) and my dyna (Barnett Scorpion Clutch).

Thanks Mike, it's working great.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I hope you have pictures of the new clutch. The problem I have with the extra plate setup from Barnett is that the steels are awful thin, and warp pretty easily.

·
Registered
519 Posts
rjrivero said:
I hope you have pictures of the new clutch. The problem I have with the extra plate setup from Barnett is that the steels are awful thin, and warp pretty easily.
:stupid: :D

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rjrivero said:
I asked Mike about warpage and he said the AHDRA guys were not having any problems with that. As far a pics go, I knew at the time I should have taken some but I was too anxious. Hopefully Mike will read this and post some.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
RobbieLee said:
I asked Mike about warpage and he said the AHDRA guys were not having any problems with that. As far a pics go, I knew at the time I should have taken some but I was too anxious. Hopefully Mike will read this and post some.
I have spent a great deal of time in the pits with the ahdra guys, most of them are running steels that are over .050 in thickness and most of the barnett steels I have ever checked are around .047 or thinner. I'm betting they are running Harley steel disc and barnett disc. Thats just my guess watching them build clutch packs all day.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Max said:
I have spent a great deal of time in the pits with the ahdra guys, most of them are running steels that are over .050 in thickness and most of the barnett steels I have ever checked are around .047 or thinner. I'm betting they are running Harley steel disc and barnett disc. Thats just my guess watching them build clutch packs all day.
The stack height would probably become a problem for street use with multiple extra discs. That is, it would be hard to get into neutral at a stop.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
RobbieLee said:
The stack height would probably become a problem for street use with multiple extra discs. That is, it would be hard to get into neutral at a stop.

Rob it has more to do with the launch. They are very critical on total stack height and they will mix and match steels and fiber plates to get the exact combined height they are looking for. To thick and the launch is too hard, to thin and the launch is to soft. They have it down to a couple of thousands total height and the bikes will launch just right. So they sit with stacks of steels and disc and mix and match until they get them just right. They often will only get one or two passes tops out of a clutch, it doesn't ruin all the disc but will fry a couple of steels or plates almost each time. Elvis from the eagle is a master at setting them up just right.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Max said:
Rob it has more to do with the launch. They are very critical on total stack height and they will mix and match steels and fiber plates to get the exact combined height they are looking for. To thick and the launch is too hard, to thin and the launch is to soft. They have it down to a couple of thousands total height and the bikes will launch just right. So they sit with stacks of steels and disc and mix and match until they get them just right. They often will only get one or two passes tops out of a clutch, it doesn't ruin all the disc but will fry a couple of steels or plates almost each time. Elvis from the eagle is a master at setting them up just right.

Elvis is a Cool Cat. I had a great time talking with Elvis when I was there having Brian Dyno my bike last March. Elvis is one of those guys that are just down to Earth and a great person.

Mark #222

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Black Cat said:
RobbieLee, would you be willing to give up the part # for the new clutch ?

BlackCat :nos :nos
HDP-15EP2 is penned in on the box. Below that number is "RQ". I don't know if that's part of the number or not. I got the impression this is a pre-production clutch. If you call Barnett ask for Mike and tell him about this thread. He'll know which clutch you're looking for.

·
Banned
288 Posts
Thanks guy......when i call out there at least i'll have some info to go with.They seem to make prouduct changes all the time .The clutch in my bike now is a extra-extra plate i got from Larry @ Eagle over a year ago.It was an "experimental " unit at the time .I've had great luck with it and over 100 nitrous assisted drag runs .I'm thinking of getting one of these "new" units as a back-up as we're going to be at the track 4 times over the next two months and you know how that goes.....

Blackcat:nos

·
The Hawk
3,895 Posts
Robbie, been a little while, how is that new clutch working out?

Mike

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Elgavilan said:
Robbie, been a little while, how is that new clutch working out?

Mike
Hi Mike:
I'm liking this clutch better than anything else I've run. I haven't tested it on the drag strip yet but it's done well with all the street riding tests. Those being: finding neutral at a stop light, low speed up & down shifting and high speed, high gear roll-ons. The most severe test is the high speed (90 mph & up) high gear roll-on. The drag factor seems to increase expotentially in that range. For big power V's (170+ hp) that is the ultimate test of a clutch. I'm running the Megacycle .500 X9 & X10 cams which are mid to top end cams. I'm always amazed at how fast the bike is still accelerating when it hits the rev limit at 140 mph. Makes me wish I had a 6th gear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dmx

I am not a forum posting/surfing type, however it has been brought to my attention that our name and reputation is at stake by unsubstantiated comments made by DMX. Therefore I felt that it was necessary to clear the air.

As AYA Racing & IndoorDragRace.com, we have no association with DMX Motorsports and/or Mark Mensch.

We have formally asked to "Cease & Desist" use of our name, company logo and other tales.

If anyone has been offended in my behalf without my knowledge, I would like to reflect my sincere apologies.
If anyone has any comments/concerns/questions, please let me know.

Kaz Aya
[email protected]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts