Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new to all this so bear with me. Just picked up my 2004 V-Rod two weeks ago. Haven't been able to ride but 84 miles since I got it cause of work and weather. I am reading thru some posts and am very confused by all the terms, like what map are you running, and different exhaust pipes. I did get the Screaming Eagle exhaust and air filter, but am looking for something to enhance the performance even more. I just am not very mechanically inclined and don't understand what all these terms mean, again, like the map, etc. Please help a stupid new V-Rod owner understand. Thank you.
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
Welcome to the forum robb34. There is no such thing as a stupid v-rod owner first of all. :)
Map is the program that we run on the pcm using a race tuner that is used to reprogram the pcm or on the pcrIII which is a small interface that goes between the pcm and the bike to alter data.

Max
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,528 Posts
Max said:
Welcome to the forum robb34. There is no such thing as a stupid v-rod owner first of all. :)
Map is the program that we run on the pcm using a race tuner that is used to reprogram the pcm or on the pcrIII which is a small interface that goes between the pcm and the bike to alter data.

Max
Max is a mechanical guru and a computer nerd. Let me put this into laymens terms.

The pcm is the computer that controls your engine. You can get what is called a race tuner from Harley which basically is a new program that tells the engine to reset certain parimeters for engine performance. It is best to have the bike on a dyno in order to get the most out of the race tuner.

The PCIIIr is an aftermarket gadget that does something very similar to the race tuner and you personally would have more control of the settings with the engine, although maybe not as good as with the race tuner. There are many programs posted here, developed by members here, that you can load into the PCIIIr and not have alot of fear in damaging the engine.

BTW - :vrodforu:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
robb34 said:
Hi everyone, I am new to all this so bear with me. Just picked up my 2004 V-Rod two weeks ago. Haven't been able to ride but 84 miles since I got it cause of work and weather. I am reading thru some posts and am very confused by all the terms, like what map are you running, and different exhaust pipes. I did get the Screaming Eagle exhaust and air filter, but am looking for something to enhance the performance even more. I just am not very mechanically inclined and don't understand what all these terms mean, again, like the map, etc. Please help a stupid new V-Rod owner understand. Thank you.
Hi Robb,
If there is one thing that I think all the guy's on this forum will agree on, it's that with the pipes you are running, the air filter you are using & the fuel map which will have been downloaded into your engine management system along with these parts (I hope!), you will get the best power available from a stock rod. All the available variations on this theme are just that, 2 or 3 horse power is academic & that is all the difference there is between the available pies, filters etc.
Any further power gains will only be acheived by changing camshafts or other such modifications which involve opening up the engine & changing parts.
One more thing you could try is what you will see described as topless; i.e. running with the top of the airfilter cover removed to allow increased air intake. Many do this including myself, but you would be well advised to check the fuel mixture to ensure the engine is not running lean after making this mod.
Changing a fuel map is the equivalent of re-jetting carburretors. An ideal fuel/air mixture for an internal combustion engine is 14 parts air to 1 part fuel. Modifying the fuel map is an attempt to adjust this ratio across the rev range to suit a particular set up, like a different exhaust for instance.
It sounds like it would be worth your while to research this forum as there is a wealth of first hand knowledge here & every answer you seek is in the threads if you are prepared to look. It's a great site & without doubt the largest repository of vrod knowledge on the planet. Enjoy. :welcome: :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another stupid question/

MR_KING said:
Max is a mechanical guru and a computer nerd. Let me put this into laymens terms.

The pcm is the computer that controls your engine. You can get what is called a race tuner from Harley which basically is a new program that tells the engine to reset certain parimeters for engine performance. It is best to have the bike on a dyno in order to get the most out of the race tuner.

The PCIIIr is an aftermarket gadget that does something very similar to the race tuner and you personally would have more control of the settings with the engine, although maybe not as good as with the race tuner. There are many programs posted here, developed by members here, that you can load into the PCIIIr and not have alot of fear in damaging the engine.

BTW - :vrodforu:
Thanks for responding. So, I can go buy this computer program that will adjust the computer on my bike to certain specs that I want. But then how do I hook up the computer on the bike to my computer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you

african paul said:
Hi Robb,
If there is one thing that I think all the guy's on this forum will agree on, it's that with the pipes you are running, the air filter you are using & the fuel map which will have been downloaded into your engine management system along with these parts (I hope!), you will get the best power available from a stock rod. All the available variations on this theme are just that, 2 or 3 horse power is academic & that is all the difference there is between the available pies, filters etc.
Any further power gains will only be acheived by changing camshafts or other such modifications which involve opening up the engine & changing parts.
One more thing you could try is what you will see described as topless; i.e. running with the top of the airfilter cover removed to allow increased air intake. Many do this including myself, but you would be well advised to check the fuel mixture to ensure the engine is not running lean after making this mod.
Changing a fuel map is the equivalent of re-jetting carburretors. An ideal fuel/air mixture for an internal combustion engine is 14 parts air to 1 part fuel. Modifying the fuel map is an attempt to adjust this ratio across the rev range to suit a particular set up, like a different exhaust for instance.
It sounds like it would be worth your while to research this forum as there is a wealth of first hand knowledge here & every answer you seek is in the threads if you are prepared to look. It's a great site & without doubt the largest repository of vrod knowledge on the planet. Enjoy. :welcome: :thumb:
Thanks for the answer, but another question.....Are there other exhaust systems that would perhaps sound a little louder, or at least deeper with the same performance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,528 Posts
robb34 said:
Thanks for responding. So, I can go buy this computer program that will adjust the computer on my bike to certain specs that I want. But then how do I hook up the computer on the bike to my computer?

If you purchase the PCIIIr all you need is a personal computer (pc), or better yet a lap top. You install the software on your PC and upload the maps (maps are the programs to change your pcm) to the PCIIIr which is installed on your bike via a computer cable.

Very simple to do, especially with a laptop computer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,343 Posts
Robb - I really like the sound of the 16ga exhaust, and the factory download works great, with the SE air cleaner, topless (black cover off the airbox) or not. Saves all the Race tuner or PCIII issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Daniii said:
Robb - I really like the sound of the 16ga exhaust, and the factory download works great, with the SE air cleaner, topless (black cover off the airbox) or not. Saves all the Race tuner or PCIII issues.
I keep reading about "topless".....What does that mean and how do I do it, and do I have to do any type of other "downloads"? Oh yeah, whatever it is to be "topless", what does it do for the bikes performance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
robb34, I had the SE pipes and air filter installed before I left the dealer. I've been too busy riding to try all the things listed here!! The SE pipes are louder now than when I picked up the bike. They really started sounding off at about 1200 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
qcwiz said:
robb34, I had the SE pipes and air filter installed before I left the dealer. I've been too busy riding to try all the things listed here!! The SE pipes are louder now than when I picked up the bike. They really started sounding off at about 1200 miles.
Thanks, I too had the SE pipes put on before I picked it up, never even heard a stock V-Rod. Glad to know that it'll get louder though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
hey robb34 you could get your screamin eagles "v modded" v-mod.com.

that REALLY< REALLY helps the sound when you have stock mufflers done.. I've never heard screamin eagles v modded... I sold my screamin eagles to buy stock pipes v modded. perhaps someone else can answer that question.

you could go with rinehardt exhaust... they seem to sound the most like a Harley.. and I understand they make good power.. IMHO it think the stock pipes look a little better... but boy do the rinehardts sound good.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,343 Posts
There are other threads somewhere (it used to be easier to keep track of these - sheez) but topless means taking off the cover over the air cleaner (not the air cleaner). Be sure to remove the clips as well - they rattle. And you have to relocate the air temperature sensor, which is attached to the top. Topless will change the engine note considerably under full power, and it seems to give a little more zip. But it could just be imigination (and who cares!). The latest downloads for fctory exhaust and SE air filter say they are 'good' for topless operation. It didn't seem to cause any problems on mine. Gas mileage seems the same (if I could just resist making that great new noise).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Just hang in there, get your first 1k miles out of the way as soon as possible. You will notice a difference after that! Most other Harley riders do a double take when I pull up behind them! :angeldev:
 

·
SNAFU
Joined
·
13,094 Posts
Robb34,

Topless refers to removing the upper air box cover to allow the engine to breath better. See attached.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally Topless

mjw930 said:
Robb34,

Topless refers to removing the upper air box cover to allow the engine to breath better. See attached.
Thank you for the help, just went to the garage and went topless, hope I didn't screw anything up, not very mechanical.
 

·
spit happens
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
robb34 said:
Thank you for the help, just went to the garage and went topless, hope I didn't screw anything up, not very mechanical.
Yep :mrgr: once you've felt the extra power from topless.You gonna end up wanting more power ;) then you'll want more power ;) It's addicting.The V-ROD is an awesome bike. :ride:
 

·
Greg/Moderator
Joined
·
18,951 Posts
robb34.... Welcome :welcome: to the end of your money :broke: my :2cents: get the se mufflers v-modded and get the race tunner best bang fro the buck. Mark the map guru is running the same setup and is always making it better. Good luck with the new toy! Greg
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top