Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
V-HOG
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my tank install today (not Rick's) and it went pretty good. Very few mods and no problems. Now just waiting on my Keyless system from RJ. I now have 5+ gallons. No more running out after 100 miles. Even if it is only another 50 or so miles it was well worth the time and money. Went fill up the tank at the station afterward and was amazed when I put 5 gallons of fuel in that baby. Now to see how many miles I can get out of it.

Attachments

·
jacket off!
9,720 Posts
Great job Chris! Just imagine, you got almost what, 3 years out of the first tank (of fuel). Now you should be good to 2012 after you fill this one!:stilpoke:

·
Not in EP anymore
1,693 Posts
You'll love it...good job btw

·
Registered
634 Posts
Wow, I was thinking about tackling mine this week since it is suppose to rain. Also waiting for the keyless mod to show up in the mail to do them at the same time.

Glenn

·
The Orange Guy
5,526 Posts
Congrats
feels great to do the work yourself and save the install $$$$$$$$$$$ for other mods:dance:

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Please tell me you took the seat latch mechanism out. You won't be able to remove it once the tank is back in. You don't need it anymore when you go keyless. And it should be there in 2 days.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I used the stock latch mechanism and used the provided longer cable to attach it just ahead of the rear cylinder on the right side. Went to the hardware store, got a cable clamp the right size and attached the cable clamp with one of the cam cover bolts. Found a small black 'push on' retaining nut (the type used on lawn mower axles only smaller) to use as a 'knob' to pull the cable. Works great, is near invisible, and allows me to latch the seat.

·
V-HOG
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rjrivero said:
Please tell me you took the seat latch mechanism out. You won't be able to remove it once the tank is back in. You don't need it anymore when you go keyless. And it should be there in 2 days.
No i didn't but I will figure it out. I left the ignition switch hanging and the latch connected. I think I can get it though.

·
hitting the road
379 Posts
You just need to pull the tank back about an inch. I was able to get mine out without removing the sending unit when I decided to go with a grommit instead of a latch.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Nice looks good waiting on snow flakes to fall before I tackle that job and few more!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Let RJ hook you up with a keyless module. :)

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Max said:
Let RJ hook you up with a keyless module. :)
I agree with the Big Kahuna here...go keyless and dump the seat latch. Mine actually did come right out without having to move the tank at all. It's just SO much easier that the other option. I was having some annoying key issues as well, so it made life a lot easier!

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
NightMare said:
I agree with the Big Kahuna here...go keyless and dump the seat latch. Mine actually did come right out without having to move the tank at all. It's just SO much easier that the other option. I was having some annoying key issues as well, so it made life a lot easier!

So when you say dump the keylatch, does that mean you guys run with the seat not locked in at all just free the flap about and allow free entry into your fuel tank?

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
MY100 said:
So when you say dump the keylatch, does that mean you guys run with the seat not locked in at all just free the flap about and allow free entry into your fuel tank?
Well, yeah in a way. There's a rubber grommet that RJ knows the part number of that fits in the seat post hole perfectly. It keeps the seat from opening unintentionally. Mine takes a bit of effort to open, so I feel it's pretty secure. Most people don't know where our gas tanks are anyway!

·
hitting the road
379 Posts
I never locked my gas cap on my fatboy or my sportster when I had them and never had any problems with someone stealing my gas.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
MY100 said:
None of the R's have locking gas caps. None of the 2007 bikes have them either. In fact, YOUR bike seat "lock" isn't secure at all, if you know how it works.

Sportsters, Dynas, Softails, Touring bikes, none have locking gas access.

RJ

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
rjrivero said:
None of the R's have locking gas caps. None of the 2007 bikes have them either. In fact, YOUR bike seat "lock" isn't secure at all, if you know how it works.

Sportsters, Dynas, Softails, Touring bikes, none have locking gas access.

RJ
RJ is correct if security is your purpose in the lock after you open one without the key you find out you can open them faster without the key then you can with the key. :) I know the lock offers a sense of security and stops honest people. I know you can no longer have the lock in place like I do but I don't use the lock for anything. I had already cut my cable for the conversion when I went another way and the damn cable and switch were just more then I wanted to pay so I have a cable mounted remote on the bike. If you look close you will find it but it still offers a deterent and is unique to all others which is probably the greatest security you could offer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts