Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member to this site and to a 08 black/orange DX. Excellent site!!!!

I'm deciding on black D & D Fat Cats or Thunderheaders. Which ones are louder, better quality, and dyno #'s?

Love the site!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi,
I just picked up a new 08 black/orange last week. Went down to MB put about 400 miles on her this weekend and I love that bike - you will too!!! Check out the tab performance pipes, they look way cool and other members on this site use them.... Rick
:thumb:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Im gonna go with thunderheader eventually next year...Ive had my bike 3 days now,and near 400 miles on her...what a blast..i just drilled some holes for now,needed some sound....will probably remove baffles soon when i get my TFi ....then thunderheader eventually...

the TH from what ive heard is loudest deepest tone...manolo has alot of sound clips of his...sounds killer.

dan

·
Registered
159 Posts
I agree with DAN. Everyone that I get my information from states that the TH is the way to go, with a nice map, and dyno. Unless you decide to go turbo of course..(which I may do).then thats a different story.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
I figure Manolo has had two DXs now both with TH's....and it looks so killer on black and sounds so good and i beleive is one of the highest HP gain pipes you can buy....i just need to get one of these soon!.lol

Dan

·
Registered
84 Posts
go to just leather in san jose, talk to tracie. she will give you the best price. she calls the immediatley for stock so you have a idea. also get the shields. they add a better look.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Personally, I like the Kerker/SuperTrapp slipons. Easier to tune, great look and very good performance.

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Love the thunderheaders, got 111.5 out of mine. After much research I plan on putting them on my DX as well. Man they are expensive in black though. Anyone know if you need the $325 black heat shields as well? Or are you ok without them?

·
Registered
283 Posts
The pipe looks unfinished without the shields(IMO) doc. A bud of mine wrapped his with heat tape. They look tough but not enough BLING for you DOC!!LOL Oh he loves the TH, but the Super Trapp is the ultimate pipe!!!!

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
rodder said:
The pipe looks unfinished without the shields(IMO) doc. A bud of mine wrapped his with heat tape. They look tough but not enough BLING for you DOC!!LOL Oh he loves the TH, but the Super Trapp is the ultimate pipe!!!!
I'd get the supertrapps, but they seem to be slow off the line. :stilpoke: LOL seriously, I would consider them, but I like all black. The TH's just served me so well on my 06 that I'm a TH fan big time. I can't wait to see how they perform on a 1250.

I wonder if I could get a set of supertapps ceramic coated black.

Bike is here next week brother, you going to be around or what? It's only a couple hours away.

·
Registered
283 Posts
spinedoc said:
I'd get the supertrapps, but they seem to be slow off the line. :stilpoke: LOL seriously, I would consider them, but I like all black. The TH's just served me so well on my 06 that I'm a TH fan big time. I can't wait to see how they perform on a 1250.

I wonder if I could get a set of supertapps ceramic coated black.

Bike is here next week brother, you going to be around or what? It's only a couple hours away.
Looking forward to seeing it, oh and riding it of course. What day are you picking it up? Getting the ST's ceramic coated wouldn't be a problem, but the TH is a GREAT pipe.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Thunderheader in black doesnt need shields,as it wont discolor...however as stated above,it shows the welds and is abit rough looking....

one thing the site keeps saying is you need 5 heat shields which is not correct...you only need 3 heat shields....the two front stock shields remain intact on the DX.

personally,id probably buy the pipe first and run it..then when cashflow is free again buy the 3 shields later.

dan

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
I wish I could get a set of TH's raw instead of chromed. I'm not sure why the black pipe and especially the heat shields are so much more expensive than the chrome.

With a raw set I would send them out to get black chromed!

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
rodder said:
Looking forward to seeing it, oh and riding it of course. What day are you picking it up? Getting the ST's ceramic coated wouldn't be a problem, but the TH is a GREAT pipe.
End of the week, but depending on getting the paperwork done and me having to work I may not get the bike until the following Tues. I'm hoping for a miracle and having the paperwork done and getting it Thurs., but I doubt it.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Doc..

I just bought a USED THunderheader from a Member...it is chrome and has some minor scratches,so I got it for a reasonable price compared to new ones!...

I will either send the entire thing to JETHOT...or,i might just buy the 3 black shields NEW and keep the TIP chrome,that sticks out or maybe just rough up the tip and heatpaint it myself,along with new black shields...not sure till i see it..lol....I know Ill have to do a bracket MOD too for the new wide frame...

there is one member here who has a black one,and didnt bother with ANY of the TH shields....it doesnt look too too bad,but you do see the welds...

Or i might just ask JETHOT how much to coat my chrome shields....we will see!...

i just cant wait to get it on her...although now Ill have to put out more bucks for the TFI box,and Im trying to get my headlight swap done too...

man you guys were right when you said Id be BROKE!....geeeeeeees!..

Dan

·
Southern Comfort
381 Posts
ROCKERDAN said:
Doc..

I just bought a USED THunderheader from a Member...it is chrome and has some minor scratches,so I got it for a reasonable price compared to new ones!...

I will either send the entire thing to JETHOT...or,i might just buy the 3 black shields NEW and keep the TIP chrome,that sticks out or maybe just rough up the tip and heatpaint it myself,along with new black shields...not sure till i see it..lol....I know Ill have to do a bracket MOD too for the new wide frame...

there is one member here who has a black one,and didnt bother with ANY of the TH shields....it doesnt look too too bad,but you do see the welds...

Or i might just ask JETHOT how much to coat my chrome shields....we will see!...

i just cant wait to get it on her...although now Ill have to put out more bucks for the TFI box,and Im trying to get my headlight swap done too...

Dan
Dan are you wanting to sell the 3rd chamber heat shield off your factory set?

·
Registered
283 Posts
ROCKERDAN said:
Doc..

Dan
Your gonna love the pipe dan!!!! You think the bike moves now, wait till you un cork her and get a good tune in her. Save your money and use the settings Dobeck gives you for the box. Dynoed my bike twice and the air/fuel looked better but killed the low end power i had.
Getting the chrome off that pipe might be a bitch, go to a chromer and they can remove it easily
The reason i like the Super Trapp so much is cause i got it for a steal and i'm a cheap Portagi. LOL Rode Docs bike with the TH and it seemed faster than mine , but don't tell him i told ya.:stooge:

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Lol, look at my gallery if you want to see broke! Rodder knows my empty pockets. :chair:

ROCKERDAN said:
Doc..

Dan

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Rocker you doing anything with your drilled cans? If you put them up I'd like first dibs.

ROCKERDAN said:
Doc..

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Hey guys...

sorry it was near 80 here last 2 days and been riding alot so i havent been in here...got 850miles on my girl now and shes 2 weeks old...love this bike!...

Doc...I probably wont be installing TH for awhile,cause ive gone way overboard with starting MODS and I have yet to make first payment on the bike!...LOL...so TFI box cash wont be easy to come by....lol.

Im just not sure if Ill go GEN2 or GEN3 on the dobeck....GEN3 seems real nice.

ROdder,are you saying run whatever DOBECK says to run with TH?...just want to clarify what you meant.

thanks guys
Dan

1 - 20 of 36 Posts