Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got an 03 vrsca last week and am loving it, however I have a few issues that I am not sure if they are serious problems or not.

1 - When I accelerate hard my bike shakes, this happens at any speed. If I stop accelerating, the bike stops shaking and rides smoothly. Its my first harley so I don't know what to expect.

2 - My shift linkage bar seems loose, the bolt is impossible to tighten anymore but I have about 1 cm of play from left to right, down the length of the screw. Also the screw has a rounded top, so I really have no way of tightening other than trying with a wrench (which isn't working). Should this shift linkage be able to move around like that?

Thanks in advance for any help or comments.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any tips are appreciated, I'm a complete noob at this stuff, just not sure if I should pay to get it looked at, because I will be charged even if its normal! :moped:

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Bike shaking could be your "Fall away" adjustment is out of whack. The search facility will yield many post regarding this issue.

The shift linkage issue - The rod should be tight at the ends where the screw goes through the little ball on the ends of the shift rod. The rod itself will pivot somewhat on the balls.
Go to ace hardware and get a good screw if you know the size or go to the H-D dealer and get the proper screw. Both the front and rear screws are the same size.

SUGGESTION: If you plan to work on your bike yourself get a Service manual, a Parts manual and the Electrical diagnostics manual. They will pay for themselves the first time you use them. Dealer labor rates are around $90 USD per hour. The three books will set you back about $125.
The "Fall away" adjustment is doumented in the service manual.

Post a picture of the loose shift linkage bar if you can.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the reply Rusty, I searched for the Fall Away issue and found a link to a youtube video. I don't even know how to change the oil on the bike but atleast this will tell me if I should worry about it or not.

As for the shifter linkage, it is definitely loose and I think it has the wrong bolt as well. The rods pivot, but also move quite a bit down the length of the screw. I will go buy proper bolts today.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
what rpm range are you rideing in.if you are accelerating from too low rpms the bike may shudder.this is a motor that likes to rev and if you are used to rideing an air head that may be your problem.if that is not the problem then drive belt tension and front engine mount fatigue could also be the culprit.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Usually it is low rpm, it happens when I'm just cruising and then I want to pass a vehicle lets say. Doesn't matter what speed I'm going, if I hit the gas, it shakes like crazy for a second or two and then stops and goes smooth again.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Usually it is low rpm, it happens when I'm just cruising and then I want to pass a vehicle lets say. Doesn't matter what speed I'm going, if I hit the gas, it shakes like crazy for a second or two and then stops and goes smooth again.
Are you matching the gear to the mph you are going by downshifting?

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Sounds like you are lugging the engine. This bike loves high rpm's. Don't try to goose it if in 5th gear and below 60 mph. You need to down shift to get the rpm's up before riding the throttle hard.
At 60 mph if passing some else drop to 3rd gear and goose it. or use 4th gear and use the throttle moderately to pass.

Are you a new rider or have you had experience with other bikes? If so what kind(s)? Don't try to compare this bike to other Harleys. Different animals. You got the best.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like you are lugging the engine. This bike loves high rpm's. Don't try to goose it if in 5th gear and below 60 mph. You need to down shift to get the rpm's up before riding the throttle hard.
At 60 mph if passing some else drop to 3rd gear and goose it. or use 4th gear and use the throttle moderately to pass.

Are you a new rider or have you had experience with other bikes? If so what kind(s)? Don't try to compare this bike to other Harleys. Different animals. You got the best.
I am not a new rider, but this is my first harley and first "powerful" bike. I used to own an 2007 Ninja ZX6R before this and that didn't happen, and before that I had a shadow 750cc which didn't do that either. Could be "lugging" the engine I suppose as I am usually trying to accelerate a very low rpms...I will try downshifting....thanks for the help!

Also I took my bike into the shop and sure enough the screw that was in the shift linkage was not right, it was not the right size, length or anything. Got it all fixed and it only cost me $89!!! For 1 screw!!! :bash:

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I am not a new rider, but this is my first harley and first "powerful" bike. I used to own an 2007 Ninja ZX6R before this and that didn't happen, and before that I had a shadow 750cc which didn't do that either. Could be "lugging" the engine I suppose as I am usually trying to accelerate a very low rpms...I will try downshifting....thanks for the help!

Also I took my bike into the shop and sure enough the screw that was in the shift linkage was not right, it was not the right size, length or anything. Got it all fixed and it only cost me $89!!! For 1 screw!!! :bash:

Time to buy the service manual and start doing your own work.

This Revo engine loves rpm's.Start winding yours up like an Indy car and you will find out just what kinda power this little 2 cylinder is capable of delivering.
Don't worry,you will not hurt this engine with rpm's.
It does need attention under the air box every 5000 miles.
Surf around and come up w a schedule to follow.If you can't find what you are looking for,just ask,we will let you know,or steer you to someone that can let you know.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Time to buy the service manual and start doing your own work.

This Revo engine loves rpm's.Start winding yours up like an Indy car and you will find out just what kinda power this little 2 cylinder is capable of delivering.
Don't worry,you will not hurt this engine with rpm's.
It does need attention under the air box every 5000 miles.
Surf around and come up w a schedule to follow.If you can't find what you are looking for,just ask,we will let you know,or steer you to someone that can let you know.
I actually could have removed the screw myself, but it had no way of grabbing it, it was a round head screw, I have no idea how they even got it in there.

Thanks for the tips, I will be sure to stay around this forum with all my questions.

·
Ronnie
1 Posts
Hey elrod,
New to the 1130 club, I ride a 2002 vrod, and have owned it about 3 years now. I have had it at the shop 3 different times and have complained about idling issues after the bike warms up. first they found a hose loose. and told me that would solve the problem, then they replaced the injectors that did absolutely no good, then they tell me it is the intake air control motor, I finally wake up and remember you can find anything on-line google the issue and it appears this is a common problem, I feel like i am either getting ripped off by my service center or they are not very good at what they do. I understand a misdiagnosis but this seemed pretty easy. I would be interested in your input.
Thanks, Ronnie

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
check the fuel flange, look for misting in the tank while it running (should be at 1/2 a tank or less when checking)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts