Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys coast before a stop with your clutch depressed or do you coast in neutral? I thought I read somewhere that it's bad for the bike to coast with the clutch depressed for long periods.
I may be confusing this with going backwards in neutral vs clutch but it just crossed my mind when I was stuck in traffic last night.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
95% of the time, I put it in neutral to coast.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I know the trans is fed by motor oil (motor oil is in the trans, motor and primary unlike and airhead that may have up to 3 different lubes). It says not to coast in neutral with the motor off. I asume it either uses a pressure port or some type of positive feed for the trans gears and bearings.
In some states its illegal to "coast" in netural. NJ is one of those states. When I got my lisence some 20 odd years ago the instructor told me that if I shift to netural and coast when aproaching a stop sign or light I could fail my test and a summons could be issued at a traffic accident if I admitted to coasting. I asked others but no one was fursure.
I am a late braker so I am almost always in gear. I rarley sit in netural at a light. Alot of that has to do with my Shovelhead and the old 4 speed netural is not an easy find with the set up I have on it.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I've found that extended periods of holding the clutch in is both tiring and can potentially cause wear or glazing of the clutch. I even knock it into neutral and relax when stopped to avoid over using the clutch. I don't, on the other hand, 'coast in neutral' because I prefer to have the engine engaged as much as possible, including slowing using compression rather than brakes (when practical). I found that coasting in neutral sometimes made correct gear selection somewhat dicey and distracting. Most of all, 'coasting in neutral' removes a key asset a MOTORcycle has, which is its ability to accelerate and/or maneuver out of harms way quickly.

·
Registered
394 Posts
For safety's sake, I am always in gear when the bike is moving. Neutral only used when sitting at a light or for starting the bike.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I was running with and airhead guy once and everytime we came to a light his left foot was hitting the sifter like mad. I thought it was an old dirt bike habbit to make sure you were in first. NO he would ride upto the stop in 5th then start a riverdance to get in first. I cant say that I am alway in the "right" gear but I am not hunting first at a light.

OLDS13 if I am sitting at a long light or in traffic I will click neutral, but most of the time I am in gear.

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
To minimize clutch usage, Neutral FTW.

·
Voluptuous 'V'
515 Posts
I always down shift when coming to a stop while depressing the clutch for the last 20 feet or so while breaking (with both front/rear brakes). Otherwise, it's too much of a hassle to get into 1st gear while stopped. Also, by keeping the clutch depressed, I don't have to worry about shifting into 1st when traffic quickly moves or when the light quickly turns green. Only on long-winded traffic lights will I occasionally put the bike in neutral and lean on the bars with my elbows. Have been doing this for 60K miles...

BTW: Impress the girls...Be a Man, hold-in that clutch and get Popeye forearms!:thumb:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I usually leave the bike in gear until I need to use the clutch. Long stops I put it in neutral and also when backing up I always have it in neutral.

·
Mmm donut...
48 Posts
Coming up to a light, I hold in the clutch and keep it in first until I have several stopped vehicles behind me before I'd consider neutral. Too many friends caught out at a light from behind when they could have gotten out of the way if the bike was in gear.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
I always ride up to the light down shifting according to speed an traffic. I always leave the bike in gear and check my mirrors. This way you are ready for and emergency to get out of the way if need be.

Never coast...you have no need too.

Remeber it is the other guy you have to watch out for.

Even my accident to be a good teachable moment. I was jsut getting ready to let the clutch out and still got hit frm behind.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
I always use the clutch and leave it in gear. That way I can do a nice roller if the light turns green before I come to a stop. :D

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Newer model VRSC bikes will set a DTC if either the clutch (B1154) or neutral (B1155) are used for more than 1 minute while traveling above 10 MPH.

·
Jarhead
598 Posts
Coming up to a light, I hold in the clutch and keep it in first until I have several stopped vehicles behind me before I'd consider neutral. Too many friends caught out at a light from behind when they could have gotten out of the way if the bike was in gear.
I lost an uncle, two friends and a Master Gunnery Sergeant that way. Scares the crap outta me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I always use the clutch and leave it in gear. That way I can do a nice roller if the light turns green before I come to a stop. :D
:them:

Always in gear at a light for quick get-aways sake...will kick in N at long lights, starting and backing up. will always leave it in gear when parked as well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
u mean my vrod has a nuetral. but on a side note i have a 45 flathead that u use nuetral all the time. u better find nuetral to stop with a foot clutch plus u never know when that style clutch will not work. amazing the difference

·
Registered
114 Posts
I do what vrodrob69 does. I've learned my lesson with the bike parked in neutral...falling, bumped rolled you name it. I usually stay in gear down shift to lights and stop and read to move either with traffic or a quick escape.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Coast??? LOL!
My bike only sees nuetral when starting it. Otherwise it's always in gear and "ready". Even parked so it doesn't roll and a thief has to waste a few seconds finding nuetral.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts