Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning! I am a new Harley owner by recently purchasing a 2003 v-rod (6000 miles). To sum the bike up in one word, I would say “amazing.” Since this is my first Harley, I am trying to get accustom to the sounds and performance of the bike. I noticed that when I shift it from neutral into first gear when the bike is first started, the transition from neutral to first is really smooth. As the bike warms up, shifting it from neutral to first becomes a lot more noticeable. When I put it into gear when it is warm, it “clicks” into gear where you can feel it in the bike. It doesn’t make any abnormal noises, it just feels like it goes into gear a little harder. Is this normal? If not, any suggestions to address it? Your help is very appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Sounds like you need to do a clutch master and line flush with some new DOT5 brake fluid. look in your clutch master and the fluid is probably a nasty greenish color.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Both of mine go into first from neutral loudly, no matter how much I try to finesse it. That seems to be a Harley trait. They are two shaft gear boxes where most are now using three shafts. I can sneak my old BMW into first from neutral absolutely silently, and I'v found the sweet spot on the 1 to 2 upshift so those are accomplished quietly, but plonking it into first is always accompanied by a loud bang.

·
Registered
207 Posts
whats the sweet spot? I find it hard to change from 1st to 2nd, but from 2, 3, 4,5 its super smooth. I chalk it up to the large raito difference from 1 to 2. 2, 3, 4, 5 is verry similar.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
whats the sweet spot? I find it hard to change from 1st to 2nd, but from 2, 3, 4,5 its super smooth. I chalk it up to the large raito difference from 1 to 2. 2, 3, 4, 5 is verry similar.
The ratios have nothing to do w the couplers,nor does the cut of the gears,because the transmission is constantly moving all of the ratios,hence the name of the transmission,Constant Mesh.

If you will search some of the other posts,or the internet,you will find some animations I have posted on how the V-Rod's transmission that was made in Germany by the GeTrag company,works.:)

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I find the way to make that 1 - 2 upshift smooth and silent is to pre-load the shifter a touch, pull the clutch only part way in and wait just a second after pulling the clutch in to make the shift. With practice you can feel the thing into the next gear without banging it in. Be patient and practice, it'll come. What you are doing is waiting for the gear cluster to slow down a touch so it can slide into the next gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts