Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Charlie
99 Posts
36mm for the rear axle. Just finished putting my 06A back together after a Rick's tank install.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
36??? Are you sure. That is a lot bigger than the 24 that everyone else has....
I'm pretty sure he is correct. I had to break out my rarely used 3/4" drive ratchet set to remove the swingarm from my friends '06 VRSCSE2 when installing the Rick's tank because the biggest 1/2 drive socket (30mm) that I own did not fit :eek:

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
36mm on both sides on my 05A

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
rear axle nut size

The confusion is in how you describe a nut size. Usually a threaded fastener is described by the thread dimensions not the tool used to turn it.

The 2005 - 2006 1" axles (I don't have info on the later models) have a 24 mm X 2 mm pitch thread so the nuts are 24 mm X 2 mm pitch. The flats on the nut are 36 mm apart meaning you need a 36 mm wrench to loosen or tighten them.

The earlier axle (2002 - 2004) had a 16 mm X 2 mm pitch thread so the nuts were 16 mm X 2 mm pitch and used a 24 mm (15/16") wrench.

·
Registered
922 Posts

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
stever975 said:
The confusion is in how you describe a nut size. Usually a threaded fastener is described by the thread dimensions not the tool used to turn it.

The 2005 - 2006 1" axles (I don't have info on the later models) have a 24 mm X 2 mm pitch thread so the nuts are 24 mm X 2 mm pitch. The flats on the nut are 36 mm apart meaning you need a 36 mm wrench to loosen or tighten them.

The earlier axle (2002 - 2004) had a 16 mm X 2 mm pitch thread so the nuts were 16 mm X 2 mm pitch and used a 24 mm (15/16") wrench.

No...you are being too smart for the situation...I did not know that HD increades the nut size by 12mm...

I use a 24mm socket on mine...

This is the one and only time you will ever hear me say...sorry, but ya'lls nuts are bigger than mine...

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
No...you are being too smart for the situation...I did not know that HD increades the nut size by 12mm...

I use a 24mm socket on mine...

This is the one and only time you will ever hear me say...sorry, but ya'lls nuts are bigger than mine...

You said it! :spank: :stilpoke: :laugh: :rofl: :rofl2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts