Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to attempt to change out the stock triple tree for a chrome set and I need to gauge the difficulty of this. I have a service manual, all needed tools and did the 5 gal gas tank install by myself. I am thinking I can do this but want to see how involved it is for anyone who has done it. Anything to look out for? I am concerned about all the cables and lines that will have to be disconnected and reconnected properly. I know I will want to re adjust the fall away and the headlight when finished..what else?

·
The Hawk
3,919 Posts
Pretty basic install. When you are adjusting the fall away, I would suggest you get in on the tight side so after a few days riding it will be just right. Make sure you note how the wires and lines run through the trees so you can put it back like it was.

Mike

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
I would also not run the throttle cables back through the hole in the top tree, but between the right fork leg and the neck under the top tree.

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rc4man said:
The only tricky part is pressing out the steering stem/bearing race and reinstalling on the new tree.
I have never pressed bearings, what economical device can you recommend for doing this?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Night Rodder said:
I have never pressed bearings, what economical device can you recommend for doing this?
Not sure what you consider economical but there's a picture in the manual of a "Universal Wedge Attachment" or "bearing separator" set up to perform the bearing removal task (it's Figure 2-99 on page 2-88 in the 2005 VRSC Service Manual. Shown here: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1A808).

An arbor or hydraulic press is used (see here: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5MF95) with a tube sized for the diameter of the bearing and the length of the fork stem for assembly. You should be able to find a local machine shop that would do these tasks for a nominal fee.

·
Mother Brain
39 Posts
I powdercoated my triple tree and therefore did the complete removal - it was relatively easy. As far as pressing bearings go, I took mine to the dealer and they used a press while I waited - took about 10 mins and didn't even charge me for it. I'd try taking it to a local HD shop for the quick fix. You might not be as lucky with the cost but it's worth a shot. And, I bought a new bearing because they pretty much destroyed the old one pressing it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts