Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fisher of Men
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to take my bike into the Dealer & I have V-moded the pipes and I am running a Gil's box. From what I understand the Dealer might possibly void my warantee if they see these mods?

I have oil comming out somewhere and can smell coolant so it may be major

With that said I need to borrow or purchase cheap a set of stock pipes for my 04. Anyone in the Austin Texas area care to lend a brother a hand?

I would be deeply in your debt!

Thanks, & God Bless, JC

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
shurshot said:
I need to take my bike into the Dealer & I have V-moded the pipes and I am running a Gil's box. From what I understand the Dealer might possibly void my warantee if they see these mods?

I have oil comming out somewhere and can smell coolant so it may be major

With that said I need to borrow or purchase cheap a set of stock pipes for my 04. Anyone in the Austin Texas area care to lend a brother a hand?

I would be deeply in your debt!

Thanks, & God Bless, JC
i am gonna be in the same boat with my CFR... i actually drilled my stock pipes, but not fully vmodded, so I wont be able to use them for waranty either. Sorry I cant help ya out brotha... if mine hadnt been drilled I'd ship them out to ya and let you borrow them.

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
Guys dont believe everything you hear I have a rhinehart 2-1 on my 06 Vrod and its still under warranty, actually the dealer gave me an inspection sticker with the 2-1 installed just call them first..

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
it really depends on your dealer.. some dealers like the modding of bikes and will help you out. Others just are scared that bending the rules a little will bite them in the ass....
bottom line... out of every harleys sold 2 keep their stock pipes installed unmodified, the other 98 do pipes. HD knows this 100% and IMHO shouldnt have an issue with it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Before you go to the trouble of switchin' pipes etc... just call them and ask what thier position would be before they do the work. If they say it's gonna be a problem, which they shouldn't, try elsewhere.

·
Fisher of Men
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I have to agree completely as everyone I know does "some" modifications. Unfortuantely the almighty dollar is more important to most dealers than just treating the customer right.

The thing is I took this bike in for the 1000 mile check up and told them then that the thing was leaking oil. This was BEFORE I did any pipe or fuel mods. Now it is much worse! I am thinking that it should be covered since this is a pre existing condition.

Who knows if they actualy logged that part of my complaint into the computer. If not they can deny I ever reported it and I am stuck out if there is a major problem!

Who knows? I am suposed to take it into a different dealer (Central Harley) today after work. I am just afraid of being stuck with a huge repair bill........

God Bless, JC

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Have you tried to explore where the oil is leaking from? Could be something as simple as a breather tube not being seated. Or the filter being over-tightened...

·
Fisher of Men
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steppenwolf, Yea I have tried but there is so much splatter and run off it is hard to tell. It is on both sides and on the front of the engine. It has run down the right side & over the chrome cover.

Checked the oil level and I am only a half a quart low after 2000 miles.

By the way I am running topless, with a Gil's box, and v-moded stock pipes. I checked the inside of the air box and there is no oil inside at all.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really do appreciate it!

God Bless, JC

·
Registered
145 Posts
J.C.
I have a set of stock mufflers from my 03 "A" if you need them . I could ups them Monday from California . Let me know if this will help. They are just sitting in a box on a shelf. E mail me or post .....Jeff

·
Fisher of Men
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just thought I would update my request as Jeff (fatbrothers) has been gracious enough to give me a set of stock pipes on the promise that I will do the same for another member when they are in need.

THANK YOU JEFF!!!

I have to say that this group of people on this site are some of the most giving and awsome people I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. Jeff is a GREAT example of this.

My thanks goes out to everyone for their advice and offers & I am going on the Record to say if I can ever help anyone else out the way I have been helped I will gladly do all that I can!

God Bless All of you!

JC

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have stock pipes on shelf, 12 miles from Austin -Cedar Creek

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Wipe the thing down, and determine the source of the leak. Mechanics prefer a clean bike to start with - and you might be able to figure it out yourself! Most leaks are pretty simple to fix. I hope it turns out well! Joe

·
Fisher of Men
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: The dealer said the problem (oil leak) was comming from a "plug" on the block. Of course they did not have the parts on hand and we are now in a wait and see mode until the "special order" parts arrive.

I am thankfull that that was all the problem was!

Thanks to all who helped out with suggestions, yall are the best!

God Bless, JC

·
Registered
145 Posts
J.C.
If you post the part number you need , someone in another area may be able to locate it for you. If the dealer runs you around ...let us know .
Ride safe brother...J.R.

·
Fisher of Men
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks JR, I am not sure of the part number but if they dont have it back to me this week I will be in their ear! If I can get the number I may just shop it around in here to see what happens.

Ride Safe & God Bless, JC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts