Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 04 V-Rod out tonight for its 1st nightime ride and was somewhat surprised at how little light the factory headlight projects. Looking for some ideas on alternate lighting, as well as where to mount them and the difficulty in doing so. Also, can the bulb in the factory headlight be upgraded as well?

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
I dont know about bulb upgrade. I have HD foglight kit mounted on engine guard plus kuryakyn halogen bullet lights mounted on the turn signal relocator bolts that are part of the touring windshield mount. Plenty of light at night with all of that.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
bigvrodder said:
Had my 04 V-Rod out tonight for its 1st nightime ride and was somewhat surprised at how little light the factory headlight projects. Looking for some ideas on alternate lighting, as well as where to mount them and the difficulty in doing so. Also, can the bulb in the factory headlight be upgraded as well?
I can get you a bulb upgrade HID looks, wattage upgrade too, around $40

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have a couple of PIAA lights mounted on my engine guards! The difference for me now riding in the dark is literally night and day! Big thumbs up from me on the PIAA lights! FYI, I have the 1100X's.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
mdrsteve said:
I have a couple of PIAA lights mounted on my engine guards! The difference for me now riding in the dark is literally night and day! Big thumbs up from me on the PIAA lights! FYI, I have the 1100X's.
Steve what part of LA are you in?

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
My first nightride showed that the V-Rod headlight was way out of adjustment. The low beam shot up under bridges, and was looking for bats. Might want to check the headlight adjustment to see whats up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had to adjust my headlight as well according to the owners manual. It might have been me throwing it off when I installed the windshield. Once I had set up the correct parameters to adjust it ( 25 ft away, shining to a wall with a line 30 inches above floor) the headlight now does an adequate job.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I agree with the adjustment thing. Mine was too high too.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Same here with the adjustment. During my first ride at night I noticed that the lights were shooting into the trees instead of the road.
Once that was fixed, vision during the night improved a lot.

·
DeejRod!!
29 Posts
This is a pretty interesting post to me since I am constantly getting "flashed" by oncoming cagers that think I have my brights on. I did have to adjust the headlight as owenwil said, but overall I am really impressed with the stock headlight. In fact, I think it throws out more light than when I put the brights on! I have a 2002, not sure if that makes a difference versus the 2004s...Anyone else getting "flashed" by the cagers??

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
As mentioned earlier, I had people constantly flashing to indicate I had high beans on. I discovered that the V-Rod lamp is a ton brighter than any other lamp on any bike I have had before, and I am suprised to read otherwise.

Anyway, I have also found that there is a way to get both hi and low on at the same time. Talk bout lighting up the road. You have to fiddle with the rocker switch to get it to light up in this manner. Try to set it in between high and low beam to get both to light.

·
Registered
765 Posts
VrodRick74 said:
Steve what part of LA are you in?
I'm in Burbank! But my PIAA lights may have lit up the sky in Moorpark! ;)

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
VrodRick74 said:
HID lights from an Acura Integra work

Rick,

You mean the bulb alone or other assemblies included? What's the bulb number?

Thanks --

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Rick, on that thought, will they work for both bulbs?

I was getting flashed by cagers (not that way :( ) originally, but once I set the light, I can tell that the v-rod light is much brighter than any of the other bikes I ride with.

·
Registered
454 Posts
VrodRick74 said:
HID lights from an Acura Integra work
Any ballast w/integrated ignitor and a D2S bulb will work, the problem is there's no 9007 HID bulbs so you either need an adapter or glue the bulb to the housing. I can't find an adapter nor do I like the idea of gluing. How did you attach yours?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts