Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing brake fluid and clutch fluid. What r some brands that work well, or should I get oem? I have a light hum coming from rear, it slows as speed slows, belt is really tight so that could be the noise. If anyone has any info let me know as I am having it worked on this weekend by a friend that has a shop. Thanks in advance.

Bob

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Replacing brake fluid and clutch fluid. What r some brands that work well, or should I get oem? I have a light hum coming from rear, it slows as speed slows, belt is really tight so that could be the noise. If anyone has any info let me know as I am having it worked on this weekend by a friend that has a shop. Thanks in advance.

Bob
Don't worry so much about the brand of brake fluid. Worry about the type! If you put Dot 5 in a Dot 4 system, you could destroy your seals. This could be extremely expensive, give that there are no rebuild kits for Brembo calipers. Mine takes Dot 4. My mechanic buddy was about to pour Dot 5 into my reservoir when I stopped him. Although he seemed irritated that I insisted on Dot 4, I'm glad that I did after reading some horror stories about Dot 5 here.

As per the humming, the rear brake will hum or howl at low speeds. Replacing the pads doesn't help either (to my knowledge).

However, if you hear humming without using your rear brake, check your tire pressure and tread condition. My belt runs silently and it is supposed to be "really tight" with only 6mm (1/4") of deflection with a 10 lb. force (belt tension gauge required). Unless your belt is damaged or misaligned the humming more likely is the tire or wheel bearing.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My howl is still there even after new rear wheel, bearings, pulley, greased old comp bowl and belt tension/deflection is 6mm. I dont think my sound is coming from the brake side its more from the belt side??? I have no idea what it could be? if you pull the clutch in while going slow it intermittently will howl...

·
MOVE !!!!!!!!
232 Posts
Try the Rear F rotor.

Swap out the old rear rotor with the F " floating " rotor. Try it. If it works cool and it looks bad ass but if it still hums then it just looks bad ass :D Paint the inside black too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My howl is still there even after new rear wheel, bearings, pulley, greased old comp bowl and belt tension/deflection is 6mm. I dont think my sound is coming from the brake side its more from the belt side??? I have no idea what it could be? if you pull the clutch in while going slow it intermittently will howl...
i agree that it is on the belt side. it will hum even when off of rear brake. seems to me that it only does it after the bike has ran for a little bit. as for the brake fluid i will be putting dot 4 in.

my belt is not in tolarance, it is too tight but will be loosened to spec this weekend, i doubt that will solve this after reading some of these posts, but who knows.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,473 Posts
This could be extremely expensive, give that there are no rebuild kits for Brembo calipers. .
There are those here that have found and listed sources for replacement seals for the Brembos. Do a search. Apparently a pretty common size as these things go. Some stock Honda and other sources. Good to know that you're not without a back up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts