Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light came on several times while riding my 2003 V-rod home the other night . I also noticed the headlight was going dim, then getting bright again. When I started the bike today I let it run for about ten minutes, to see if the check engine light would come on, it did for about thirty seconds before the light shut off. The check engine light stay off the rest of the time the engine was idleing (about 8 more minutes).

I shut the bike off, then tried to restart it. When I let the on-board diagnostic run through its sequence, the bike lost total power. I shut the key off and tried it again, but everything was completely dead. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ohh, and the battery was brand new this spring.

Thanks for the help,
ERIC

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Battery terminals first. If it isn't them, then engine grounds next, and then I'd say regulator. Oh, and fuses clearly, but they won't be the original problem...

I see this is your first post, so I'll tell you now there are WAY better mechanics than me around here, I'm just offering the quick answer.

·
Just a big ole Doof
919 Posts
Depending on the ambient temps where you live and how much you ride, you may need to charge the battery. I recomend a battery tender if you do not already have one. Extreme temps can zap a battery quick.

Oh and.......:vrodforu:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Battery terminals first. If it isn't them, then engine grounds next, and then I'd say regulator. Oh, and fuses clearly, but they won't be the original problem...

I see this is your first post, so I'll tell you now there are WAY better mechanics than me around here, I'm just offering the quick answer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like Voltage Regulator

Same exact thing happened to me 2 years ago on a ride back from Maine....all the lights came on and fluctuation in voltage before everything just died out....except I was 120 miles from home.

I posted a similar Help me thread and Max came through as always and he was right...voltage regulator. Costs about $120 or so.

Here is the link to my thread if it helps.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107887

Jake

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Getsome122 and jlyons, I will check the battery cables tonight, then order the voltage regulator if needed.

Any suggestions on cheapest place to pick up a regulator?
Also, what is the difficulty level in changing the regulator?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys thanks for all the posts. I checked the battery cables last night and found one to be loose. Once tightened, the bike fired right up with no check engine light.

Thanks again for all the responses..........you guys saved me some cash!!!

1130.cc is awesome!

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Hey guys thanks for all the posts. I checked the battery cables last night and found one to be loose. Once tightened, the bike fired right up with no check engine light.

1130.cc is awesome!
Make the check out to...

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

1130.cc is awesome!

My advise is: Don't be a stranger! The money you saved this time is a drop in the bucket compared to what you will save over time here!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts