Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone was a long time member to this site after I bought an 08 night rod then sold it and have recently Aquired a 2012
Anyhow I’m having problems with the bike not arming the alarm
checked all the obvious stuff like fuses,key icon lights up on start ,reprogramed a code into her
everything is there just doesn’t arm when shut off.Pulled the main fuse and disconnected the battery hoping this might solve things but no dice.Alarm and antenna all intact taken batteries out of fobs and still starts no questions asked.Shake it stand it up no flashing nothing.
Any ideas would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
1. First thing I would do is make sure you have the correct HFSM installed. Look for a part number on it.
2. Do your fobs have a push button?
3. Do the turn signal lights flash and the alarm beeps twice when you turn the ignition switch off? It should do this even though the FOBs are in proximity to the bike.
4. Move the FOBS away from the bike and, with the ignition off, shake the bike. Any response?
'
5. LOOK FOR ANOTHER FOB SOMEWHERE ON THE BIKE. Ask the previous owner if there might be a hidden one somewhere.
'
6. Take it to a dealer and have them reprogram the FOBs. Should cost about $20 and take a few minutes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Rusty thanks for the response
Previous owner said he had no probs with alarm at all bike was very sensitive to touch shakes etc
no buttons on fobs
no flashes when ignition turned off and no siren on the bike
i received the two fobs programmed to the bike
took the batteries out of the fobs and bike still fires up
key led doesnt flash when bike ignition off but everything cycles through when starting

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Hey Rusty thanks for the response
Previous owner said he had no probs with alarm at all bike was very sensitive to touch shakes etc
no buttons on fobs
no flashes when ignition turned off and no siren on the bike.
i received the two fobs programmed to the bike
took the batteries out of the fobs and bike still fires up
key led doesnt flash when bike ignition off but everything cycles through when starting
The HFSM should arm within a couple of seconds of turning the key off regardless of the presence of FOBs. The turn signals should flash and the alarm should beep at this time.
With FOBS present just the alarm is not operational so shaking the bike will not produce noise from it.

Check the part number on the HFSM you have then doing steps 5 and 6 in my previous post will get to the crux of the matter.
The part number should be 68925-07 for a 2012 HFSM.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should the numbers on the hfsm match the fobs?
would I have been able to program in a new security number if it wasn’t working cause I did?
Could it be a dry pin on the connections?
thanx again rusty for helping on this

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The previous owner had no probs with it and these are the only two fobs that came with the bike two fobs two keys
Just been having this problem since I took it home
He said the system armed no probs and was super sensitive to movement
unless he’s bullshitting

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Should the numbers on the hfsm match the fobs?
would I have been able to program in a new security number if it wasn’t working cause I did?
Could it be a dry pin on the connections?
thanx again rusty for helping on this
If you were able to change your pin number then the fob(s) are communicating with the HFSM. You can not change a pin unless one FOB is present. This prevents someone from changing it while sitting in the wall Mart shopping center parking lot.

From everything you described your HFSM is bad. Take it to a dealer for verification. You say everything seems to work. It just doesn't arm when you turn the ignition off. That smells like a bad/incorrect HFSM or its mis-wired.

Check the Part number listed on the HFSM's label. It should be H-D PN 68925-07 on the label.

What is on yours?

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Says HD p/n 69976-08
delphi p/n 28121863
The -08 says that HFSM is for a 2008 machine. I can't confirm if it should work on a 2012 or not.
What model V-rod do you have? DX or Muscle.

You need to talk to your dealer about compatibility and resolution or try the Harley Customer Service at phone number (414) 343-4056

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Says HD p/n 69976-08
delphi p/n 28121863
The -08 says that HFSM is for a 2008 machine. I can't confirm if it should work on a 2012 or not.
What model V-rod do you have? DX or Muscle.

You need to talk to your dealer about compatibility and resolution or try the Harley Customer Service at phone number (414) 343-4056

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Strange thing is all models right up to 2017 only list a 69*** - 07 part no for the HSSM. None have an 08 no listed so not sure what that is!

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
If you do a google search for "Harley 69976-08" you will find references to the Muscle as well as non V-Rod Harley air cooled machines. No mention of the DX.
Do not know why the parts manuals do not reference it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts