Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gang!
Have not been riding much this year and I just discovered my orignal battery died on me. Was looking forward to riding to work tomorrow!:mad: Any siggestions are welcome on where to get a battery? I remember a guy at work got his for a Fat Boy at the Interstate Store. Do I have to get it at my Harley Dealer? They are about 70 miles away and I can't get there until next Friday. For some reason I thought Harley always had the polarity reversed (post) so you could only buy from Harley? Please advise!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Just make sure it is a sealed/gel battery or you will have acid leaking out of it and ruin the coating on the frame and damage the front cam cover (seen pics on the forum from this).

·
Registered
306 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Have fun here,Ride safe
Always Ride like everyone is trying to KILL you. Why? because they are...

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Hello Gang!
Have not been riding much this year and I just discovered my orignal battery died on me. Was looking forward to riding to work tomorrow!:mad: Any siggestions are welcome on where to get a battery? I remember a guy at work got his for a Fat Boy at the Interstate Store. Do I have to get it at my Harley Dealer? They are about 70 miles away and I can't get there until next Friday. For some reason I thought Harley always had the polarity reversed (post) so you could only buy from Harley? Please advise!
The OTHER piece of advice for you to consider is to go buy a Battery Tender. You should install the pigtail wire with your new battery. Then in the future you will be at full charge anytime you want to go riding.

Regards

Jerry

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Deka makes Harley batteries. If you have a Batteries Plus store in your area...
DR Dave -
Thank you so much for the advice on going to Batteries-Plus!
You were right on about the exact replacement using a Decka Battery. $105 with tax and Im a happy camper. I guess (8) out of the orginal battery wasn't bad! The only issue I had was trying to get the rubberband wraped around the battery on the install.
And the Velocity Stack bolts were a little tough to get out and back in because of the socket was so tight against the stacks.
Happy in Powell Ohio with a new battery!
Ron

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DR Dave -
Thank you so much for the advice on going to Batteries-Plus!
You were right on about the exact replacement using a Decka Battery. $105 with tax and Im a happy camper. I guess (8) out of the orginal battery wasn't bad! The only issue I had was trying to get the rubberband wraped around the battery on the install.
And the Velocity Stack bolts were a little tough to get out and back in because of the socket was so tight against the stacks.
Ron
I ment to say (8) years on the orignal battery wasn't bad!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Jerry -
Im a huge fan of the battery tender and attribute my (8) year life of the orignal battery to the battery tender. I own (5) battery tenders and install them on all my toys and scag mower in the wnter months!

·
Noel
4,605 Posts
Ron
Pick up a set of ball-end allen wrenches, they allow you to get in at an angle to remove screws/bolts in tight spots.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, on my list to get my next trip to Harbor Freight!!

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
I bought a set of these from - GASP - Harbor Freight. THey work well to remove and reinstall those velocity tubes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Hi Jerry -
Im a huge fan of the battery tender and attribute my (8) year life of the orignal battery to the battery tender. I own (5) battery tenders and install them on all my toys and scag mower in the wnter months!
Amen!! A Battery Tender does save you when you need to go and can't wait.

Glad to see you are up and runniing again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts