Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've had my 03 100th anniversary now for 3 days. Haven't had much time to ride yet (54 miles now) but tomorrow I hope to put a few miles on it.
From what I have ridden, I am loving it more and more.

I picked up my Sundowner Touring seat, sissy bar and backrest pad and will install it tomorrow before I ride. Hopefully it won't take too long to install it all.

Pipes are next which brings me to why I'm writing this. I'm stuck choosing between the SE 16g Double Barrel or the slip fit mufflers. Is there much difference in the sound? The Slip Fit keeps the stock appearance and I like that but is the sound much louder then stock and how do they sound?

Second, Can the required download needed when installing new pipes wait a few days after I install them or will it not run too good?

Last but not least, can I install the pipes myself? I am mechanically inclined but not an expert by any means.

Any opinions and help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Wretched Excess.....
2,067 Posts
Hey coolbreeze, The slipons are louder than stock but in my opinion, not by much. I like them because they maintain the stock look which I think is oustanding. The 16 GA would be the loudest of the screaming eagle choices and have a pretty good sound to them. They are not nearly as loud as some of the other aftermarket pipes so I guess it all depends on what you're after.

I think you could mount the pipes yourself without trouble but I would'nt do so without adding the appropriate download. The download for either Screamin Eagle set is made to be a part of a package which includes the K&N air filter. If your dealer is relatively close, I'm sure you could get away with mounting up the pipes and riding over to have the download installed. You could then install the air filter in the parking lot before hitting the service department. The pipes by themselves should not create a seriously lean condition for a short trip but I wouldn't suggest riding for any length of time that way. Hope this helps.

·
skin changer
824 Posts
I had the dealer install the 16 ga. SE pipes on my bike and I really like them. I prefer that look myself and they seemed a little tame at first but now I have 2500 miles on them and they did get louder and have a very nice rumble to them. I don't know if they will keep getting louder or not and I did notice more power when I turned my wrist.
Last week I tested a new 04 at my local dealer that was stock and I couldn't believe the difference in the power. The 04 really seemed dead and quiet as compared to my 03 with the 16ga SE's on it.
I'm not going to change to a 28T gear either...the extra power I have lets me pull out very easily and I like my gas mileage better with my 30T. I'm getting 135-140 miles per tank full. I can also run 80 mph without over revving the engine at all.
IMO I have the best all around setup for nice long weekend rides.

ps...I'm sure some others will tell you different and I have not tried all the options. I don't need to...I like my setup the way I have it.

·
"Keg Security"
3,428 Posts
V-Mod....cheap and loud. Or get a friend with a plazma cutter.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
0992- I'm with you all the way. The sound and peformance with the 16ga and 30 t is perfect. jmho

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
Cool Breeze,

I also have the 16 guage SE muffs, I like them too but....its hard to beat vmod.com, ChopperSteve's vmodded stock or SE mufflers. Cost wise, one of the cheapest options, sounds great-most guys love em, and power wise, the vmods with either the HD ECM reflash or PC3 have posted some of the strongest HP numbers on a dyno. I believe the vmod combo is stronger than the 16 guage combo, dyno sheets have proven this. I'm not talking drastic differences but data favors the vmods. I would recommend getting the HD SE ECM reprogram, SE air filter, and either vmod your muffs, or buy a set of vmods. Either way, whatever you choose to do, get the reflash done before you install whatever, vmods or 16 guage. That way you can ride away from the dealer safe, perhaps a bit rich, then install whatever muff system you choose at home. Installing any exhaust mod first leaves your bike very very lean until you have the ECM reprogramming done, or a PC3. Do the reprogram first imo. The 16 guage come with complete instructions, its not that hard to do yourself if you choose. I installed my 16 guage. Vmods are a matter of simply unbolting/removing your muffs and reinstalling the modified muffs.

·
DeejRod!!
29 Posts
Scott, Check out my post in the "Exhaust Videos" section. I have the V-Mods on my 2002 and love them!! I had to have the look of the stock pipes and the Screamin Eagles were just too tame for me. Consider the V-Mods, you will not be disappointed...

·
Get a Grip!
696 Posts
It's not even close, IMHO, the stock exhaust looks the best. So I went with the SE slip-on's, going to have them V-modded this winter. Though the D&D slip-on's look almost as good, but are big $$.

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
I have the se slip ons and like them a lot, but I am another one of the style "purists" who think they got the pipes just right the first time. I am also going to have my stock mufflers v-modded so I can have more noise when I want it, but the quieter SE's for longer trips. Apparently the v mod stock pipes can drone at highway speeds and deaden your ears when you stop.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Scott,

I lucked on to a set of SE Slip-ons that were already V-modded - the sound is superb !!! Much louder than stock, but a DEEP mellow rumble that makes you want to blip the throttle over and over and over.

Watch Ebay for a set of stock take-offs and send them up to Steve at Vmod. Or if you can stand to be without your bike for 10 days, send him your stock ones.

I have a Power Commander but am thinking of trading it for the dealer flash - there's no problem with riding a few miles w/ mod pipes & the air filter, just take it easy.

Have fun,

EE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts