Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be kind please this is my first thread.
I have a 03 rod

In 04 I put on rinehart 2-2 staggered and had the se flash.
The bike dyno at 102.6 hp
70.33 Max torque
at a speed of 110 mph 8500 rpm
air to fuel at 15.45

Last week I went topless addedthe k&n filter

The bike really come to life after allowing the air in..HAHA

Today at a dyno shoot out I had only..
100 hp
No torque reading
No air to fuel reading
max speed 125 mph 8500rpm

Question:
Why did I loose the hp?
Should I forget about the numbers game and be happy with the increase speed?

I would like to get about 150hp...$1500 to spend... what would you do to increase the HP?

Note:

I saw a road glide put out 289 HP with supercharger with nitrogen shots.

Thanks in advance
rod

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
If it's running good - that's what counts. But a 15.45 AFR is really lean - you want to be below 14, especially in a hard pull. I would have that checked out - the SE flash may not be getting you enough fuel. I'd get a dyno pulll with AFR and see if it still is lean.

You want more power, consider a 2-1 exhaust. Those rineharts are costing you HP.

You are not going to do much with $1500 - nowhere near a 150 hp mod. The only thing that might get you is a nitrous system. To get to the 150 hp level, you need a $5k turbo, $5 - $8k worth of engine work to bore and stroke it, or about $7-8k for a supercharger - which still has questions about its reliability.

Or use the $ as a down payment on a sportbike.

Welcome, BTW!!!

BTW- I just read your post again. 110 mph at 8500rpm, then 125mph at the rame rpms? Your pulls were in different gears. That can make a difference. Also HP numbers vary a lot from dyno to dyno anyway.

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
Nitrogen shots? Nitrogen is an inert gas used for a lot of things but not engines so I think you're talking about nitrous oxide, not nitrogen. I wouldn't worry about the dyno, how does it feel? Dynos are notorious for "giving " or "taking" hp so don't worry about it unless you're going back to the same dyno. Anyway, for $1500 you only have one choice, Nitrous.

·
RIP ALEX
2,033 Posts
Different dynos will give you different numbers.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Welcome!

If you hit that stock motor with 150hp of nitrous, something is going to break...and it's gonna be big.....
better enjoy what you have and save up more money.......if you just jump into that much nitrous, you're gonna need the money to replace your engine anyway.....
limit the hit on a stock motor to about 50hp.....you'll beat your share of sport bikes and stay within your budget...but 150hp (reliable) for $1500 is unrealistic.....
sad but true..

and I agree with Steppen........pulls were in different gears.......and I would question the second one anyway if you didn't get a torque number.....the HP number is derived directly from torque......so how could you have a HP come up without a TQ number....?
someone's dyno is screwed up or the tech isn't properly trained to run it......just sounds too fishy.....

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Mike - he wants 150 hp total - about a 40 hp hit would get him there...

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
oh...ok.....had me wondering......hell I was already running the other way with my ears plugged and my eyes squinted.....
that makes more sense.....

get ahold of Pingel and get the VRod kit......
badda bing badda bang

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
not your fault.....guess I had my mind on that 280+hp pushrod motor he was talking about.......

and if I had MY choice, PV would be sporting AT LEAST a 150 shot...ehehe......Jeremy? Rob? are you reading this?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well both pulls are from the same gear 4th
That just does not make any sense to me... maybe I missed something..But I have to agree it sure does seem like different gears

the second run was for just HP no probe.

1st gear run up to 72mph rev limits at 7200
2nd gear.... 110mph
3rd gear....124
4th never hit limit
5th gear I can bury the needle with a 1/2 throttle to go...

The bike runs real strong... I feel that the rear cylinder is getting a little hotter then the front...Running lean I think...
sounds awesome...

How bad are 2-2 bubs?

Maybe I sound put a pciii or tuner on it.
Question:
If I put nos on the bike and had tuner I would have to take it back to be recaled?
If I had a pciii I could do it myself y or n?
I am still learning?

nitro shots = suppose to make the incoming air colder.. more HP!
Thanks for the welcomes!
Thanks in advance
rod

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
Ok, after reading your initial post, you said you had Rineharts with a SE flash? Running AFR around 15-1? Both are problematic. Get a PCIII and get the correct map and go from there. I doubt the Rineharts have the same characteristics as the SE pipes and 15-1 is flirting with disaster. If it was mine, I'd put the v-modded SE slip ons on the bike, go topless with the K&N and run the PCIII USB. It will run great, sound good without being too loud, and you won't have reliability issues related to the setup. Of course, it's your bike so do what you want.

·
O5' CVO - $12,000
707 Posts
rsc said:
How bad are 2-2 bubs?

Maybe I sound put a pciii or tuner on it.
Question:
If I put nos on the bike and had tuner I would have to take it back to be recaled?
If I had a pciii I could do it myself y or n?
I am still learning?
RSC,

Here are a couple of my posts regarding 2-2 Bubs/Rinehart Staggerds and dyno-tuning.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=885728&postcount=511

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=928509&postcount=526

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=930783&postcount=530

Is it really HP that you are looking for or is it a better torque curve? I am not experienced with nitrous but it does sound like the lowest cost instant boost. But I think you should get a PC-III USB and get it properly tuned first. The AFR really needs to be adjusted seperately for 2-2 pipes. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
7 Posts
rsc said:
nitro shots = suppose to make the incoming air colder.. more HP!
Nitrous oxide creates more oxygen in the combustion chamber
allowing more fuel to burn there for making more horse power.

Boss-Noss can give you a Safe, Reliable and Consistent 50hp to your stock motor, with a very clean and very simple install.

·
RICK
648 Posts
I've used those pipes, and they loose top end hp. They have picked up a lot of TQ. I would fix the AFR problem first-get it around 13.5/1. Then see where you are at. The sets I have done for customers ended up around 105hp and 80ft/lbs of torque.--Tune then decide on changes. Those pipes sound awesome!!

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love the sound of the pipes, but even I think they can be very loud.
I am working on a way to see if I can take some out of it.
I really do not want to put on different pipes.
I had one of the first sets of 2-2 on a v-rod... I payed for them...I aslo had to wait 6 weeks for the baffels to be made...not alot there either haha.

AFR is on the top of the list.

Looks like a pc111... and a dyno tune.

as for the nitro shots that was hear say....as for the HP yes it was 289hp...

Thanks for the input.. up to me on which way to go...
rod

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
rsc said:
Be kind please this is my first thread.
I have a 03 rod

In 04 I put on rinehart 2-2 staggered and had the se flash.
The bike dyno at 102.6 hp
70.33 Max torque
at a speed of 110 mph 8500 rpm
air to fuel at 15.45

Last week I went topless addedthe k&n filter

The bike really come to life after allowing the air in..HAHA

Today at a dyno shoot out I had only..
100 hp
No torque reading
No air to fuel reading
max speed 125 mph 8500rpm

Question:
Why did I loose the hp?
Should I forget about the numbers game and be happy with the increase speed?

I would like to get about 150hp...$1500 to spend... what would you do to increase the HP?

Note:

I saw a road glide put out 289 HP with supercharger with nitrogen shots.

Thanks in advance
rod
a/f ratio in the 15`s will fry your motor. you should tune it to about 12.8 to 13.1 at full throttle. it isn`t unusual to have a difference of 2 or 3 hp on a different day. tire pressure air temperature humidity can have a big effect on dyno numbers even with correction factors. you can`t get to 150 hp with 1500 dollars unless you can do your own port work and machine work or can install a used turbo from e-bay. of course you can find somebody with a really optimistic dyno to give you the numbers you want. one of the dyno`s in our area will post hp numbers 20 percent higher than ours on the same bike.

·
RICK
648 Posts
Rodney,
Call Me And We'll Schedule It In For The Dyno Tune-i Haven't Had Any Luck On The Baffles!--some People Calculate Crank Horsepower Correction #'s On The Dynos- This Is Generally Where The 20 Extra Hp Comes In. Rear Wheel Horsepower Is The Real World Performance.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rick I will call the first chance I get Thanks
Rod

1 - 20 of 27 Posts