Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an accident about 2 mos ago now and had a bunch of parts replaced including the rear wheel and sprocket, the left shock, the dog's ass, the foot pegs on the left side and the left side radiator cover. Since the accident my bike makes a strange woo woo woo sound and I can feel a slight vibration in the foot pegs, rear brake pedal and handlebars at about 40 mph (and sometimes when I slow down all the way to a stop) when I pull the clutch in. It seems like the vibration is coming from the drive sprocket as the belt goes in and out of the sprocket. I was concerned that the belt alignment may be off a little but I've taken it to a couple different Harley dealers and an aftermarket shop and they all say it is just the belt "breaking in" to the new sprocket. I've driven the bike about 2000 miles since the accident and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Tonight I checked the torque on the left side of the swing arm and the nut was loose about 3/4 turn. I tightened it up to 55 lb/ft of torque and tested it out, it might have been a little better but it is hard to tell as the problem gets worse as I ride farther (the bike heats up). Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated even if you tell me it is normal because I trust you all more than the dealers I've worked with so far :banghead:. Sorry for the long post.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I'm old school and believe shocks should always be replaced in pairs. Almost sounds like our axel was bent.

·
Registered
394 Posts
A bit of howling from the belt is a common issue.
Mine has done it less over the year I've owned it, so maybe it is just breaking in.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm old school and believe shocks should always be replaced in pairs. Almost sounds like our axel was bent.
so you think the axel is bent causing the pulley to be out of alignment and the vibration I'm feeling, or are you getting at something else? Also, I did end up changing to progressives on both sides just this past week but the right side shock was not damaged and wasn't originally going to be changed due to the accident.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A bit of howling from the belt is a common issue.
Mine has done it less over the year I've owned it, so maybe it is just breaking in.
I'm not as concerned over the howling as I am about the vibration, it kinda feels like I have sand in my rear brake but I get the feeling even when I'm not touching the brake. It is a fairly high frequency vibration, much higher than if the rear wheel was just out of balance.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Check your belt tension. Mine made that sound when it was too tight.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
a couple things that come to mind...

check tightness of front pulley...was the rubber cush drive for the rear pulley replaced? have you put the rear wheel in the air and spun it and looked for any noise or out of true? you have good rubber front and rear? are the rubber bushings for the belt gaurds in new condition?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the cush drive for the rear pulley was replaced with the wheel and pulley. The wheel seems to spin true when on a lift. The rear tire has about 2500 miles on it. The belt guard bushings look fine and the belt isn't hitting the guard (anymore) although it was when I first got it back from the dealer and they tightened up the belt a little. (very little, moved the cam about 1/16" as I marked where it was before I took it to them).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a couple things that come to mind...

check tightness of front pulley...was the rubber cush drive for the rear pulley replaced? have you put the rear wheel in the air and spun it and looked for any noise or out of true? you have good rubber front and rear? are the rubber bushings for the belt gaurds in new condition?
I'm not really sure how to check the front pulley, any tips? Just check the four bolts holding it on? What should the torque be?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
so you think the axel is bent causing the pulley to be out of alignment and the vibration I'm feeling, or are you getting at something else?
yes, that's what I was thinking. Sorry for the cryptic reply

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
I'm not really sure how to check the front pulley, any tips? Just check the four bolts holding it on? What should the torque be?
if you remove the 3 allens on the cover you can check that the pulley has NO play... sometimes they have been known to loosen up...I am home from work for lunch so I don't know the tork specs right now.

so when the dealer first put your wheel on the belt was rubbing on the gaurd? you rode it and then noticed it then they "fixed" it? I would like to know what they said as to why it was rubbing and what they did "exactly" to fix it.... have you checked if your wheel is running true?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I heard the belt slapping, tightened the belt a little, heard some "woo woo'ing" loosened it back to where it was and then took it to the dealer where they tightened the belt (ever so slightly), it still slapped a little in top gear while accelerating hard so I put a washer under the rubber gromet that holds the top belt guard in place. Shortly after that I replaced the old stock shocks (that were way too soft) with the progressive 440's and I haven't heard any slapping at all since.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
I heard the belt slapping, tightened the belt a little, heard some "woo woo'ing" loosened it back to where it was and then took it to the dealer where they tightened the belt (ever so slightly), it still slapped a little in top gear while accelerating hard so I put a washer under the rubber gromet that holds the top belt guard in place. Shortly after that I replaced the old stock shocks (that were way too soft) with the progressive 440's and I haven't heard any slapping at all since.
Between the Woo Wooing and the slapping, are you sure you aren't riding your bike like you would a woman? :stilpoke:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The vibration seems to be much better now that I've tightened up the nut on the swingarm. I'm still getting the sound from the belt and I can feel a little vibration when under power but when I pull the clutch in it feels smooth. Thanks to everyone for their help and ideas.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Check your belt tension. Mine made that sound when it was too tight.
Agree. I'm thinking belt tension is the problem, too.
Me also. Dealer tightened the belt to tight after a tire change. The more I rode the louder the howl got. Your bearings are screaming for relief.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts