Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings - I would like to know if any members have their DX rear pulley off the bike and can give me a measurement. I need the disance from the edge of the pulley to the edge of the bearing. So I would need someone to put a straight edge across the pulley and measure in thousands mm or inch the distance down to the edge of the bearing.

Thanks in advance.

·
2" of dangling death
10,933 Posts
If we are talking about the same measurement, i get 5 1/2 inches. that should be the same on all pulleys any year

Attachments

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tyson - I need from the edge of the straight edge to the top side of the bearing (the straight edge would need to go across the pulley and then measure down to the bearing edge)... I have the Ceramic bearings and need to know how far the stock bearing sits from the edge to get the correct spacers with the ceramic bearing.

you would need to use a micrometer to get the measurement in thousands...

Thanks

·
2" of dangling death
10,933 Posts
ok i see, damn all the ones i have the bearings have been removed

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah same here... hahahaha

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Sharkey, can't you look up the bearing dimension and arrive at your dimension from that?

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need an exact measurement with a bearing installed.. I know you press them all the way (but not sure exatly where to take the measurement from on the seat where the bearing sits) and I also know it is a split bearing and to get everything correct with the Spacing I need to know that measurement....

Thanks

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ttt

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Because my depth straight edge isn't wide enough to go across the od of the pulley,I came off the cush nubs.
Overall measurement is 1.214,The straight edge is .500 thick.Take away .500 for the gauge and I get 0.714 on the cush side.The bearing is flush on the outside.
This an 03 factory wide pulley.

Attachments

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
awesome.. thanks - I attached what we did for the front wheel with ABS so you can see what I have going on...

Attachments

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it is in microsoft word... not sure what I need to change so you can take a look.???

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here is the info without the blueprint drawing... I am trying to figure out how to post it up..

Front wheel view (front of the bike).

F1-right fork
F2-left fork
A-distance between the forks
B1-right bearing (non ABS)
B2-left ABS bearing
S1-right outer spacer
S2-spaser between the bearings
S3-left spacer/ABS pickup
W-width of the wheel hub
OF-hub offset (distance between the plane of the edge of the rim and edge of the hub on the left and right sides of the wheel)
D-depth of the bearing, resting against C-clip

Given:
S3-21.85 mm (hard to alter-has to stay the same)
B1-20.52 mm (6205RS bearing)
B2-17.96 mm (H-D ABS bearing)
A-177 mm
W-142.3 mm (BST front wheel hub width, has to be measured every time to confirm)
D-4.5 mm
OF-3.7 mm

To find:
S1 and S2

For ease of calculation assume that there is no offset. With numbers it has to look like:

W-OF=142.3-3.7=138.6 (width of the wheel hub with no offset). Let’s call it W1
Now, find distance from shocks to hub:
A-W1=177-138.6=38.4 / 2=19.2 mm from the hub to the shock on each side.
But we have 3.7 mm off set, so on the right side distance will be 19.2-3.7 = 15.5 mm
Now we can find S1:
S1 = 15.5+D=15.5+4.5=20 mm
So S2 is:
S2=A-(S1+B1+B2+S3)=177-(20+20.52+17.96+21.85)=96.67 mm

Original spacer is 94.94 mm long – too short, so I used rear wheel spacer and cut it to 97 mm (0.37 to compensate for aluminum compression).
Now let’s see if ABS pickup will clear the wheel:
W-(D+B1+S2+B2)=142.3-(4.5+20.52+97+17.96)=2.32 mm
ABS pickup housing is 2.85 mm dip. 2.85-2.32=0.53 mm clearance, close, but good enough.

For the rear tire.
I tried to install it and noticed that I have about 2 mm gap (all spacers installed) and ABS pickup touching wheel (that’s when I did boo-boo and scratched paint).
I compared BST wheel offset with OEM – difference is within 1 mm (compensated for difference in width of the rims). Unfortunately I lost measurements for non ABS bearing seating depth on OEM rim, but I think it was 4.13 mm and BST is 3.85 . 0.28 mm difference does not bother me. So I measured OEM spacer between the bearings and bearings themselves. Spacer is 153 mm long. Accounted for difference in non ABS bearings (6205RS on BST instead of OEM) I came up with 148 mm length for the spacer between the bearings or OEM length minus 5 mm.

Currently all the spacers at the machining shop, so I can not confirm the results. I purchased 2 long aluminum beams to check the alignment of the wheels, but I suspect it will be within spec, which it ¼ of an inch.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tyson - do you want to send me a rear pulley? let me know how much. I have bearrings here... let me know...Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts