Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the bike fires up no problem...but after about 10 mins or a few miles down the road it dies like the ignition switch was hit...could this be a temp issue? And also my fans have never come on once.
Its an 07. Please help

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
So the bike fires up no problem...but after about 10 mins or a few miles down the road it dies like the ignition switch was hit...could this be a temp issue? And also my fans have never come on once.
Its an 07. Please help
No Crank position codes? System relay or CPS most likely possibles. Engine needs to be cranked for about 5 seconds continuously and if no signal is received by the EMC the code will be thrown.
Ron

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Crank position codes? System relay or CPS most likely possibles. Engine needs to be cranked for about 5 seconds continuously and if no signal is received by the EMC the code will be thrown.
Ron
I had a cps code and tps code and cleared them but the tps code stays amd wont clear...warmed the bike and after bout 10 mins shut off again with just the p0122 code...starts back up after about 15 mins

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
So you think ACP S will cause it to shut down after its warm and fire backup when it goes off?
CPS can get hot , fail and then when it cools work again. I can't see a TPS behaving like that with heat but follow the code for now. CPS would be my first choice, with those symptoms. TPS is the cheaper of the two sensors to buy. Like I mentiond, in order for the CPS to throw a code, the engine needs to be cranked over for 5 seconds steady.
Ron

·
Registered
537 Posts
You can verify TPS sensors with a multimeter. Most shop manuals have the expected resistance values between pins to determine go/no go.

Also, a quick google shows some people have had luck simply unplugging and reconnecting the tps sensor electrical terminal at the throttle body itself. It's worth a shot (and maybe a quick blast of electrical spray cleaner).

What year is your bike? Possible to have corrosion/water/loose connector if old enough. I've seen way stranger.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its an 07...starts fine everytime but 10 mins into ride it shuts down like a kill switch was hit...and wont fire back up until it cools down for a while

·
Registered
537 Posts
Definitely try the TPS connection. Multimeter verification would be easy/good as well.

The 10 minute figure is odd though.....is it EXACTLY 10 minutes? I know, hard to say....just curious as I wonder if the time would point to a timeout or retry period in regards to one of the sensors not reporting data.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts