Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've got stuff on the pipes and I'm afraid to damage the finish by using conventional products. What would be the solution?

In addition, now I got on it every chance I get. Take it up to the red line and back down. I think the burning oil issue is stabled but I keep an eye on it. I put about 1200 miles every 10-12 days all so. It should burn some, shouldn't it?

THX

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use "0000" steel wool. Its a finishing steel wool but is agressive enough to get your pipes clean. No marring or scratches. Use it with a mild cleaner like "spray polish and cleaner". Works perfect :)

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
:them:
and NO, burning oil is never NORMAL for an engine in proper running order.

·
09 vrscf
203 Posts
Lesson learned--->

Always wipe cleaners/polishes/wax on never spray them on to avoid over spray

speaking from experience you will have a headache on your hands from over spray if you do...

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
What kind of junk is on your pipes and how many miles are on the bike?

A good chrome cleaner should do the job. For caked on boot rubber or road tar use a razor blade and gently scrape it off or try Easy Off oven cleaner.

Also what year and model you got?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

A good chrome cleaner should do the job. For caked on boot rubber or road tar use a razor blade and gently scrape it off or try Easy Off oven cleaner.

2011F Freaking Awesome Shinny Black. Just got it in October. Put in 4500 miles.

I am so afraid to use anything on that brushed chrome. Bad experience on my old Softail. Yes, boot rubber mostly and some hard stuff that I don't know what it is. So far I have used nothing but water to clean it until I know farther. I will try what you guys suggested. Thank You.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
for tar, windshield washer fluid works great, but once the pipes are cool it usually just scrapes off with your fingernail.
"0000" steel wool is great, just do NOT use toooo much pressure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Use Easy Off Oven Cleaner, yellow can. Put it on the spots, wait 15min, wipe it off. Works best when the pipes are cool.

·
Dean
775 Posts
Easy Off

I dropped my glove on my hot exhaust and Easy Off Oven cleaner worked like a charm. My pipes are chrome though...not sure how it will work on the "brushed" chrome.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts

2011F Freaking Awesome Shinny Black. Just got it in October. Put in 4500 miles.

I am so afraid to use anything on that brushed chrome. Bad experience on my old Softail. Yes, boot rubber mostly and some hard stuff that I don't know what it is. So far I have used nothing but water to clean it until I know farther. I will try what you guys suggested. Thank You.
My suggestions are off base. I assumed a standard A/AW bike with Chrome pipes. I do not know how to deal with those "F" pipes.

·
Orange is cool!
118 Posts
I just picked up my Muscle last week and it now has about 150 miles on it. I noticed some little black dots on the left side muffler. I am guessing the black specs are tiny little pieces of the belt. It does look like small dots of tar.

I tired just using some standard quick detailer and a microfiber towel, but it didn't seem to take it off.

·
Muscle Man
868 Posts
I just picked up my Muscle last week and it now has about 150 miles on it. I noticed some little black dots on the left side muffler. I am guessing the black specs are tiny little pieces of the belt. It does look like small dots of tar.

I tired just using some standard quick detailer and a microfiber towel, but it didn't seem to take it off.
I was wondering wtf that was!! I have used turtle wax bug and tar remover w/great success-on bugs and tar/asphalt-but boot scuffs don't budge. I so happen to have some PB blaster stuff previously mentioned, and give that a go Tuesday. thanks

·
Orange is cool!
118 Posts
AVMAN, let me know if the PB Blaster stuff works on the black specs. My bike is now in storage for the winter :(

·
So. Cal. Cruzin'
101 Posts
I wipe the spots with Never Dull wading and then use 0000 steel wool. I had spots which i believe was from the belt when the bike was new and it took it off with no marking or scratching. Mt two cents

·
Registered
182 Posts
In reference to the oil question. Some use oil, some don't. I bought a spare quart anticipating having to top the oil off periodically during the first 1000 miles. Mine came with H-D Syn3 in it from the factory and never used any measurable amount during the 1000 mile break in. Maybe I was lucky.

·
Muscle Man
868 Posts
AVMAN, let me know if the PB Blaster stuff works on the black specs. My bike is now in storage for the winter :(
will do cutjo! btw-wtf is 'storage for the winter' ? j/k :stilpoke::)

·
Orange is cool!
118 Posts
will do cutjo! btw-wtf is 'storage for the winter' ? j/k :stilpoke::)
Yeah, one of the disadvantages of living in the midwest. Really trying to come up with a list of advantages but can't think of any right now. :banghead:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Mothers Satin Metal polish ON 0000 steel wool. There was a post eairler on this, like June, try search.

·
Muscle Man
868 Posts
Penetrating oil such as PB Blaster and a plastic scraper or white Scotch-Brite pad should remove it with no change in the finish.

I wouldn't use anything harder than plastic until proven.

I am cleaning the bike right now, and the PB blaster IS taking off the heel marks:thumb:, I am going to use some 'plastic' scotch brite and see if that helps remove them completely-the left-hand muffler specks (thought to belt 'belt specks') haven't budged yet, but I've only used a cloth so far.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts