Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Dances with Rain!
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I installed the Rick's tank and have a question.
I am running a 200mm Avon Rear Tire on the stock rim. Will be switching over to the Reactor wheels here shortly.
So question is: How much clearance do I need b/t the tire and Rick's for everything to be ok. I can fit my pinky finger in b/t the tank and tire. I am concerned that once i get rolling tire wil rub against the tank.
Any and all suggestions are appreciated. I am running stock shocks and I weigh 225lbs. Noticed that the distance increases as I sit on the bike.
Thanks.

Jim Boore

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
On my stock shocks the Ricks tank should have plenty of room. I tested the stock shocks with my 280 setup and Ricks tank and the only time it was ever close enough to touch was when I lifted the bike off the ground with my jack. With a rider you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

·
Dances with Rain!
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. Just concerned as the Laws of Physics would dictate that the tire at RPM would get taller in the center as it rotates faster. Like I said it is a close fit, like the distance b/t the nail bed and bottom of my pinky finger.
When the bike was on a center stand jack, the back wheel had no free movement at all. Like I said, I weigh 220lbs. As the bike sits on the ground with my fat a**, there is more room b/t tire and Ricks Tank.
Just don't want to cause any damage, especially when I have the 180mm tire that is darn near new as well.
I appreciate your response.

Jim

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
It's a z rated tire, it shouldn't deform like BURT MONORE's did on his old indian. I have a Metz 200 with my Rick's tank, and there is more than enough room even at the drag strip.

The tire fits better if the bike is lowered. It creates a bit more room at the bottom. FWIW.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
A 260 is the closest you will come or at least that I have heard about. It is very tight. Once the wt of the bike is on the suspension the distance increases. You should be fine like rj said.

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts

·
Dances with Rain!
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am pretty sure the Metz Tires will work. Problem is I am running an Avon Venom.
Anybody running an Avon Venom 200 with a Rick's Tank? Need more imput here. Spoke with Dano at KC Open House this weekend and he agreed that 200 should work, but just want someone who actually is running the same setup.
Thanks again for all of the responses.

Jim

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
I put a Ricks in 06 SE with a 240 on it the other day and there was no issue at all.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
FusionGrind said:
I am pretty sure the Metz Tires will work. Problem is I am running an Avon Venom.
Anybody running an Avon Venom 200 with a Rick's Tank? Need more imput here. Spoke with Dano at KC Open House this weekend and he agreed that 200 should work, but just want someone who actually is running the same setup.
Thanks again for all of the responses.

Jim
Its not the 200's that are even close, the tank wraps around the tire with the optimal size being 240. As you get wider the tires come close when the suspension is unloaded on the outside edges not the center. Your fine with a 200.

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
You should be fine with the tank. However, if you ever decide to lower the rear end, the Avon will expand slightly and you could very easily bottom out the fender. The Metz 200 will not expand under load.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
If I raise my air ride to it's full extent the 280 wheel is very close to the tank.

·
Dances with Rain!
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dark_HD_07 said:
You should be fine with the tank. However, if you ever decide to lower the rear end, the Avon will expand slightly and you could very easily bottom out the fender. The Metz 200 will not expand under load.
I just purchased a 12 inch heavy duty Progressive shock for the B. I weigh 220lbs, I hope it does not bottom out on me.

Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts