Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a problem and I’m hoping someone might be able to help me with. I have a 2002 V-Rod and the solenoid is starting to click instead starting. I called my local HD dealer today and found out the following. They do not offer a rebuild kit for the 2002 solenoid. They no longer sell new solenoids for a 2002 model, part # 71474-01A. They can order a new starter for a 2002 but it doesn’t come with a solenoid so that doesn’t help. They can get a new solenoid for a 2004 model, part # 71474-04. He also said the part number for a 2002 and 2004 starter are the same so he thinks a 2004 solenoid will fit the 2002 starter but he also said the wiring plug could be different. Does anyone know if this 2004 solenoid will fit a 2002 model or where I could buy a 2002 solenoid or a rebuild kit? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Hey guys I have a problem and I’m hoping someone might be able to help me with. I have a 2002 V-Rod and the solenoid is starting to click instead starting. I called my local HD dealer today and found out the following. They do not offer a rebuild kit for the 2002 solenoid. They no longer sell new solenoids for a 2002 model, part # 71474-01A. They can order a new starter for a 2002 but it doesn’t come with a solenoid so that doesn’t help. They can get a new solenoid for a 2004 model, part # 71474-04. He also said the part number for a 2002 and 2004 starter are the same so he thinks a 2004 solenoid will fit the 2002 starter but he also said the wiring plug could be different. Does anyone know if this 2004 solenoid will fit a 2002 model or where I could buy a 2002 solenoid or a rebuild kit? Thanks.
Later solenoid will fit. You will just have to modify the small wire connector as your HD guy said. There are also aftermarket ones available such as this. You will need to do the same connector mod.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Later solenoid will fit. You will just have to modify the small wire connector as your HD guy said. There are also aftermarket ones available such as this. You will need to do the same connector mod.

Ok but the link you gave is for the solenoid relay. I'm taking about the actual solenoid, not the relay. Do you know if the later model solenoid will fit?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Ok but the link you gave is for the solenoid relay. I'm taking about the actual solenoid, not the relay. Do you know if the later model solenoid will fit?
No. I think you are confused. That is the solenoid. The relay is under the airbox. The link is for the solenoid that attaches to the frame tube behind the rad cowling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. I think you are confused. That is the solenoid. The relay is under the airbox. The link is for the solenoid that attaches to the frame tube behind the rad cowling.
Yes I was definitely confused. Thanks much for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts