Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Free & Easy(going)
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rick (he's is reading this as well and your responses should be directed to him!) bought an '03 A that had a PCIII and a CFR pipe on it. I know this will get many of you in an uproar, but the bike was just a little too loud for him. We had the original exhaust system and a set of SE Slip-Ons. He was also very unhappy with the yellowing he was getting on his rear wheel from the CFR. It was not running as smooth as he thought it should and it also shot out black smoke when he accels fast.

He took the CFR off and put on the Slip-Ons, but those are too quiet! We haven't done anything with the PCIII, but do have the software. Just not quite happy with it.

He would like to do as much as he can himself, with some guidance, or know who to take it too in the Dallas area that can be trusted to do good, knowledgable, fair work on a VROD.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Mary,

Just let us know what exhaust he decides on, and we can help him find a map for the bike that will run well for him.

A nice compromise, would be a set of Stock pipes with the baffles removed, V-Mod style. You should be able to trade the SE slipfits for a set of V-modded stockers strait up. You could even post up in the wanted section, or if you decide to trade the SE slipfits, in the trade section of the forum.

You could also sell the CFR, and buy a set of Stockers V-Mod style and pocket the extra $$.
RJ

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
vrodmary said:
Rick (he's is reading this as well and your responses should be directed to him!) bought an '03 A that had a PCIII and a CFR pipe on it. I know this will get many of you in an uproar, but the bike was just a little too loud for him. We had the original exhaust system and a set of SE Slip-Ons. He was also very unhappy with the yellowing he was getting on his rear wheel from the CFR. It was not running as smooth as he thought it should and it also shot out black smoke when he accels fast.

He took the CFR off and put on the Slip-Ons, but those are too quiet! We haven't done anything with the PCIII, but do have the software. Just not quite happy with it.

He would like to do as much as he can himself, with some guidance, or know who to take it too in the Dallas area that can be trusted to do good, knowledgable, fair work on a VROD.
IMO the v-mod pipes will be in between the SE pipes and the CFR as far as the loudness goes and there are a lot of maps for the v-mod pipes in the PC3 map thread that will get it real close and the pipes are pretty easy to swap out, but I would still advise to have it dyno'd just to make sure.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Damn, I gotta learn how to type faster! Maybe 2 fingers instaed of one.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Spaz said:
Damn, I gotta learn how to type faster! Maybe 2 fingers instaed of one.
:rofl:

You crack me up.

·
Free & Easy(going)
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks RJ, That's part of our issue is what pipes to put on.

and

Spaz, The VMods are something I have thought of. Is that something to do yourself with the stocks or should it be done by someone else?

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
vrodmary said:
Thanks RJ, That's part of our issue is what pipes to put on.

and

Spaz, The VMods are something I have thought of. Is that something to do yourself with the stocks or should it be done by someone else?
If you have the SE pipes I wouldn't cut them up, but instead either buy a set of already made v-mods or buy a set of standard pipes and cut them or have someone else cut them. The SE pipes are getting hard to find and right now they are worth a good chunk of change compared to the standard pipes. There are usually v-modded type pipes for sale on the forum and on ebay just search for v-mod.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I have been chatting with Rick. When he bought the bike, it came with both stock and SE pipes. I suggested he put on the slip-on SE pipes and remove the PC. So he calls me later and asks if I know anyone who wants to buy a PCIII for a dollar. Seems he went for a ride with the SE pipes and discovered he had a whole new bike. Apparently, he had no idea the bike would do 100 in 2nd!
I suggested he drill some holes in the end of his stockers if he wants a little more sound (he can always go back to the SE's). I know a couple members who have done that simple mod to great effect. I'm guessing his bike was flashed for the SE's by the original dealer (it's a slightly used '03), and thats why it runs great with those pipes. Probably also explains wht the PCIII settings didn't work too well (it was VERY rich running the CFR). I suspect he has a CFR exhaust for sale as well.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Daniii, does he have the bike flashed for the SE slipfits?

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
We don't know, but since its running real good with the SE's, (no popping on decel) I'm betting it does. And if one puts a PCIII on a system with that flash, no telling what will happen, but it'll be rich.

·
Free & Easy(going)
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the vmod was done to the stocks and he started the bike with great expectations.......only to be a little disappointed. Does doing the Vmod to the stocks only make it a little louder than the SE's?

Any more suggestions? How do we know about this flash thing?

Hey Dan, Thanks once again for all your help. Your great.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
You guys only did a partial V-Mod. The real FULL V-Mod involves gutting the cans, but then you have to go back to the power commander (and tuner roulette). You could drill the holes one drill bit larger..... There is no way I know of to determine what flash was downloaded.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts